Menu

If you are familiar with MUS Pre-Algebra or Algebra, can you please help me....

I have a MUS question-dd12, rising 7th grader, has done CLE math grades 1-6. She can do the formulas perfectly but has no conceptual understanding at ALL. She just barely tolerates math but is very bright (prbly gifted) in other subjects.

A df gave me some MUS dvds (only up to Zeta) and all the manipulatives, so dd and I looked at the online samples today and she really loved it (!) and lightbulbs were going on for her like crazy. The way he explained decimals, she said she did understand decimals, but it took her two yrs in CLE to piece together for herself how fractions/decimals were related, and why didn't they just explain it in five minutes like he did?! I am NOT mathy and basically learned math in a very formulaic way like CLE does it, so I'm no help!

So here is my thought-have her just WATCH the Epsilon (fractions) and Zeta (decimals) dvds that I have here over this summer. She knows all this material; I just think it will give her the conceptual WHY behind what she's been doing in CLE. Then over the next full yr (Sept-Aug) have her do the MUS Pre-Alg and Alg. I don't want to skip their Pre-Alg because I think she can use the slower pace and foundation. So the MUS Pre-Alg and Alg would basically be her Pre-Alg. (I might have her continue doing selected problems out of CLE7 too because it is VERY spiral, which she needs for retention and basic arithmetic practice, which she definitely still needs. This would prbly only take her about 20 min/day. I have allotted plenty of math time in our schedule over the next yr-it will be our priority-firming up basic arithmetic and giving her the lacking conceptual.)

Then in Fall 2013 for 8th grade, she'd do another good Algebra course either at home or we may be putting her in a private school where she'd then do a good Algebra program (and then continue from there.)

She will never be a math major, but she may possibly be interested in the health field (physical therapy, nurse, chiropractor?) and she is interested in science but who knows if that would be where she ends up. At any rate, I don't want to sell her short, but I don't want to overwhelm her either. I would like to have her ready for Algebra by 8th grade because it is pretty sure about the private school.

For reference, CLE considers both 7 and 8 to be pre-alg but on these boards I see most people just do 7 and then go into algebra. So I think she is at the point of doing pre-alg IF she also continues getting plenty of basic arithmetic practice too. MUS seems like a good compromise for our needs (along with CLE7). What do you think about this progression?

Other options I considered were the CLE7 for the spiral with some LOF and Hands-On Equations alongside for the conceptual, but I think MUS really clicks for her for conceptual; could firm things up for her conceptually before moving on to Algebra, AND yet would still be a more robust and true Pre-Algebra than the other combo I was considering.

Thanks so much if you read through this and have any thoughts!

cross-post

You may just be surprised how much her understanding will improve if you do the MUS fractions and decimals books with her. Sounds like light bulbs are turning on for her, that's very exciting!

I would go for it.

(can't recommend specific books for later, but wanted to chime in with encouragement to go with your plan for the summer)

We used MUS Pre-algebra in conjunction with Hands On Equations this semester. It really does make things click, but having the alternative method of HOE helped my son to work the equations quickly and still understand exactly why he was doing it. I cannot speak for experience with CLE, but if MUS works for her then go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm THRILLED to hear that HOE works well with MUS-I was hoping that MUS didn't use some other method that would be confusing if I wanted to add in HOE.

Lily_Grace-would it work to use the HOE this summer BEFORE we start the MUS Pre-Alg in the fall, or would that be confusing (ie-maybe MUS Pre-Algebra lays a nice foundation first?) I have a little more time this summer to do HOE than I will in the fall.

Lily_Grace-would it work to use the HOE this summer BEFORE we start the MUS Pre-Alg in the fall, or would that be confusing (ie-maybe MUS Pre-Algebra lays a nice foundation first?) I have a little more time this summer to do HOE than I will in the fall.

I don't think it would much matter. I started both at the same time but MUS doesn't introduce 'x' until about a third of the way through the program, so by the time we got to it there was a stronger understanding. The rest of the way through the program we alternated - he'd grab the HOE manipulatives to set up the MUS problem if he got frustrated. For squaring 'x' it was better with MUS manipulatives, though.

Are you going for the full HOE program with video? We did just the books and it took us 10 minutes a day, tops. The lessons are very incremental and there's only ~25 of them.

Are you going for the full HOE program with video?

Yes, but we'll watch the video together and like you said, the probs won't take long.

Thanks-that is really helpful! She has had some solving for x in her CLE math so she's familiar. Just hoping HOE will give a better conceptual understanding. I'm so glad it works well w/ MUS.