Menu

Can anyone give opinions of Horizons Pre-Algebra please?

Dd has used CLE math thru 6, but I want more of an true Pre-Algebra for this fall (CLE considers both 7 AND 8 to be their pre-alg and school is a possibility so I need her to do a one-year true Pre-Alg to be on track.)

She likes the spiral format of CLE, and Horizons looks similar. She is NOT mathy at all so I need something gentle but thorough.

Not a lot of people seem to use it on here so I'm concerned. Is this a good program? Pros and cons? Any comments? Thanks!

I'd consider it thorough, for sure, but not gentle.

:iagree:

One of the reasons I picked Horizons for pre-algebra to go along with Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1 is because of its advanced S&S. Like DM1, it goes beyond the typical pre-algebra course and gets into the easier parts of Algebra 1, geometry, statistics, and even trig.

I just received Horizon's pre-algebra. I think it looks very thorough and I would not really consider it gentle. This will be our first time using Horizons. I looks like it gets into quite a bit more "algebra" than other pre algebra courses I looked at...I am looking forward to using it with my daughter.

I would love to see more reviews so keep them coming! My non mathy 11yo picked out Horizons in 5th gr. She was behind in math. Now she is half way thru 6th and wants to stick with Horizons (all my attempts at persuading her with TT or MUS have failed). Saw Horizons prealg at convention and it does like tough.