Menu

Speech Delays

Hi,

My almost 7 year old son can't pronounce his R's. This past year I had him evaluated at our local elementary school and they told me they couldn't do anything for him because it didn't affect his learning.

Does anyone have any good material that they have used to help correct speech ie books, DVDs?

Thanks!

I asked a trusted speech pathologist and friend about my dd then almost 7 and still not pronouncing 'r' correctly. She told me that it was the last and hardest sound for kids to master and that it is normal for 7 yr olds to still struggle with it. According to her it would develop soon and it did. She also told me to put pressure on both cheeks at the same time as she said it to help her pronounce and hear it correctly. HTH

My 10 yods still doesn't pronounce his r's correctly and he goes to the local public school for speech. I don't know the rules for your state but if you are wanting him to have speech therapy through the public school, I'd check it out more to see what your rights are. Maybe go to a private speech pathologist and see what they think then go back to the public school if necessary.

First, I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to link to an old post, but there was one about pronouncing "R". If you use the search function on this (General) board you'll be able to find it. Use "pronounce" for your search word, and search by post titles. Only a few posts will come up, and you'll see that one of them is "How do you pronounce the "R".

*Or maybe someone who knows how to do it will just link it here. :)