Menu

EPS's Writing Skills by Diana H. King -- Do I need a separate grammar program?

My rising 8th grader is a reluctant reader/writer who has some learning disabilities. She's pretty good at grammar, and we've covered a lot of it over the past couple of years, but she needs more writing instruction.

She is pretty bad at capitalization and expecially bad at punctuation--she knows the rules, but she's careless and, yes, a bit lazy. I tend to think that having to actually apply the skills in her writing might be a more practical solution than simply editing isolated sentences in a textbook.

I like the looks of EPS's Writing Skills for her. I know it teaches/reviews grammar in the context of writing, so if we use this, would we necessarily need to use a separate grammar program also?

We use this as part of Verticy by Calvert writing and grammar. It has grammar in it. It does not do any diagramming. Verticy has you skipping around doing both the grammar and the writing at the same time. I can only speak for using it with Verticy though. Good luck! Even after completing 2 levels of Verticy my ds can write an awesome paragraph but can't do punctuation to save is his. He will always need a proof reader. I asked my dh to build a chair that give a little jolt every time he forgets capitalizing and punctuation :lol: That may be the only way he will remember!