Menu

Hypothetical - PS for highschool

Our neighbor is an AP history teacher at the local HS. He and his wife are lovely, supportive, interested in our kids, etc.

He has been saying, for a couple of years, that he would really love to have Bailey (the 11yo) in his class. Not in a pressure-y, "you shouldn't homeschool" sort of way, at all, mind you, just in a "you're kid is bright and likable, and I'd love to have her in my class" way. (By the way, his interest in her, specifically, is not odd; he will retire before the boys get to highschool age)

So, yesterday, he walks over while we're out doing yard work, and he brings it up again. "No pressure! We have a couple years. I just want to 'plant the seed'", wink.

And, truly, there is no pressure. She's 11. We're just finishing grade 6 / starting 7.

Buuuuuuut... since I'm a homeschooler, I like to plan and roll decisions (or possible decisions) around and look into all the angles, etc. :D Give me your best thoughts - pro, con or otherwise!

Do you mean they are required to at least give PS a shot as freshmen, or of they go, they must start at as freshmen?

No bearing on my pondering; AP US History is a freshman class and she would still be middle school aged is she was in PS.

I should also add the following:

Maryland used to have the policy that whether to allow homeschoolers to take classes was a local decision, but passed a law a few years ago barring the option at the state level.

Also, her "master plan" is to go to school once she ages out of rec lacrosse (so, 16) so she can still play. Then, she wants to be home-colleged. Lol.

The problem is that his wouldn't be the only class she'd be in. She'd have to put up with all the other cr*p... :tongue_smilie: I mean, all the other negatives, the reasons that probably you're homeschooling in the first place.

I have a friend who has gathered enough students to lure teachers she likes to her house to teach (high school subjects.)

If your neighbor is that interested in teaching bright kids, I bet you could find enough to have him teach a class at your house and not have to enroll your dd in his school.

Ou high school allows us (so far) to pick and choose classes. You can take just one if you want. At this point, if that doesn't change, I plan to have my youngest participate in particular AP classes (if there is room. Some are at capacity.) So yes, if you can, and she wants to, let her try that AP class. Because APs are so popular here, first year high school students are not allowed to sign up.

AP World History is hugely popular, as is AP Chem, Psych, English, Biology and Calc. We might get wait-listed. The these particular teachers are very personable and engaging. The kids love them. The Chem prof has a PhD in Chemistry, and the AP history prof is a PhD as well. I can't say no to that if I don't have to.

Edited by LibraryLover

I have a friend who has gathered enough students to lure teachers she likes to her house to teach (high school subjects.)

If your neighbor is that interested in teaching bright kids, I bet you could find enough to have him teach a class at your house and not have to enroll your dd in his school.

:iagree:

I had a really cool history teacher in high school. I actually had a few very neat individuals as teachers. That didn't mean I enjoyed the whole experience.

One person would not change my position on homeschooling, but I would consider seeing if they'd be interested in helping you out when the time comes.

can she go just for that class specifically?

:iagree: Or would he be willing to barter a tutoring experience?

I'm surprised AP US History is typically a freshman class? If you are thinking of B&M for high school, 7th grade would definitely be a good time to make sure your child has enough structure and is ready to sit in a B&M classroom. I'd consider sending my kids to high school if they were really set on it and I found a good school. But I wouldn't do it for one good teacher. There would have to be many compelling reasons to do so.

Our school system also allows kids to pick and choose classes, so that is an option here and one I have in the back of my head for later!

Well, this may not be the kind of response you're looking for, but Molly is a high school freshman this year after being homeschooled from 2nd through 8th grades. It was always our plan, barring anything really awful happening, to enroll her in our small town's small high school for high school. BUT, we knew we wouldn't hesitate to pull her out if that seemed the best course of action.

In a nutshell, Molly is flourishing. She loves her classes (especially history!) and has adjusted very well. Is there some bad stuff? Yes. Some mean-girl crap, which in the end was dealt with satisfactorily by the school. Some stupid grade stuff-- she was trying to be entirely too logical in gym class. (oh. excuse me. WELLNESS class!) but again, a rational, calm discussion with the adminstration and the teacher and all is well.

She's not got perfect grades, but she's active in band, sports and other activities so I've kind of had to let my dream of all A's go. Sure, she could make all A's, but it's not all about grades. If she didn't do what she loves-- band, choir, swim and volleyball teams, Special Olympic volunteering, 4-H, etc.) she wouldn't be our Molly, and she wouldn't be happy. I've just had to learn to relax and trust that it will all work out in the end. And I'm okay with that. For us, the benefits have far outweighed the negatives. She's happy, involved, learning, and loving her life. No, she won't go to Yale. Good thing. We couldn't afford it anyway. :001_smile:

The wisest advice I got when we started homeschooling, never having known ANYONE who homeschooled, was from someone here. When I came here stressing about fitting it all in, some wise woman calmed me down and said, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." I've found it kind of applies to letting her make her way in public high school, too.

I rambled, and this probably isn't even CLOSE to what you were looking for, but I just would like to offer some reassurance that it CAN work, and it CAN be a great experience. Some feel it's the big bad world, but Molly's making her way just fine, and we're happy with the person she's becoming.

astrid

I would think and pray long and hard about what kind of education you want your kids to have in high school, then make that decision aside from what the neighbor keeps saying. One class and one teacher won't "make" or "break" an entire high school experience.

FWIW, we are on the fence currently about high school plans. Our oldest is starting 5th grade in the fall. My long term plan has always been to homeschool through middle school, then we will either send the kids to public high school or keep them home and dual enroll as many classes as we can through the local community college.

Only you, your DH, and your kids (to some extent) can decide the best route for their education.

Sadly, tutors here (if you can find one with an available slot) start at $60/hr. How many hours a week would you want an AP history tutor? Once? Twice? And if you hire a tutor for Chem, there is the need for a lab. Many teachers tutor, but more don't have time to tutor, especially if they are doing high school AP classes. That is a huge time commitment, and especially when it's recommendation time.

I don't feel 'called' to hs We hs beause it makes sense for us, and some of our children. I am not committed to the idea that all classes (high school ones, especially), need to be done *in* the home.

Edited by LibraryLover

The problem is that his wouldn't be the only class she'd be in. She'd have to put up with all the other cr*p... :tongue_smilie: I mean, all the other negatives, the reasons that probably you're homeschooling in the first place.

That has crossed my mind. We started homeschooling because Bailey was reading at 4 and was not eligible for K until the next year. We continue to homeschool because of the positives, not as a rejection of the public schools (though I am keenly aware of the negatives - my eldest graduated from the same high school).

It is not in our grand plan to send them to school at any level, but it's something we will consider it the situation presents an opportunity or need that leads in that direction.

I was pondering this, as well. I have no idea what his plans for retirement are, but it did cross my mind that it might be an excellent fit for him, my family, and friends who have kids the same age, to have a private AP prep class.

can she go just for that class specifically?

Ou high school allows us (so far) to pick and choose classes. You can take just one if you want. At this point, if that doesn't change, I plan to have my youngest participate in particular AP classes (if there is room. Some are at capacity.) So yes, if you can, and she wants to, let her try that AP class. Because APs are so popular here, first year high school students are not allowed to sign up.

AP World History is hugely popular, as is AP Chem, Psych, English, Biology and Calc. We might get wait-listed. The these particular teachers are very personable and engaging. The kids love them. The Chem prof has a PhD in Chemistry, and the AP history prof is a PhD as well. I can't say no to that if I don't have to.

No. Maryland now explicitly prohibits primarily homeschooled children from attending schools for select classes. It used to be the prerogative of the local superintendent, but not any more.

Well, this may not be the kind of response you're looking for, but Molly is a high school freshman this year after being homeschooled from 2nd through 8th grades. It was always our plan, barring anything really awful happening, to enroll her in our small town's small high school for high school. BUT, we knew we wouldn't hesitate to pull her out if that seemed the best course of action.

In a nutshell, Molly is flourishing. She loves her classes (especially history!) and has adjusted very well. Is there some bad stuff? Yes. Some mean-girl crap, which in the end was dealt with satisfactorily by the school. Some stupid grade stuff-- she was trying to be entirely too logical in gym class. (oh. excuse me. WELLNESS class!) but again, a rational, calm discussion with the adminstration and the teacher and all is well.

She's not got perfect grades, but she's active in band, sports and other activities so I've kind of had to let my dream of all A's go. Sure, she could make all A's, but it's not all about grades. If she didn't do what she loves-- band, choir, swim and volleyball teams, Special Olympic volunteering, 4-H, etc.) she wouldn't be our Molly, and she wouldn't be happy. I've just had to learn to relax and trust that it will all work out in the end. And I'm okay with that. For us, the benefits have far outweighed the negatives. She's happy, involved, learning, and loving her life. No, she won't go to Yale. Good thing. We couldn't afford it anyway. :001_smile:

The wisest advice I got when we started homeschooling, never having known ANYONE who homeschooled, was from someone here. When I came here stressing about fitting it all in, some wise woman calmed me down and said, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." I've found it kind of applies to letting her make her way in public high school, too.

I rambled, and this probably isn't even CLOSE to what you were looking for, but I just would like to offer some reassurance that it CAN work, and it CAN be a great experience. Some feel it's the big bad world, but Molly's making her way just fine, and we're happy with the person she's becoming.

astrid

I honestly wasn't looking for anything in particular, other than others' general thoughts on the subject. We're not looking to make a decision on this for the next couple of years (at least). I'm just looking for the details and experiences I may not have in mind. I'm glad Molly is thriving! We have friends whose lives have taken turns that lead them to enroll their kids, and the kids have also thrived.

(plus, I always enjoy your perspective ;) )

So, please, anyone who has any thoughts on this topic, I'd love to hear them. Anyone else have a kid who went to school later in their education, and it changed the course of their lives in a negative way? In a positive way?

We have always homeschooled. I say I take it yr by yr, but I do have a goal of at least through middle school. I don't think any child should have to endure that! If my kids want to attend HS, then I think I'll be fine with it. Our HS is one of the best in the state and at this time they can pick and choose subjects to attend.

It's a hypothetical possibility for my family, depending upon several factors. (Yes, mine are younger than yours and I've thought that far...:tongue_smilie:)

Mainly, the school has to offer great things that I cannot. Plus, It cannot mean sacrificing anything I consider a priority (math, writing...).

It's a hypothetical possibility for my family, depending upon several factors. (Yes, mine are younger than yours and I've thought that far...:tongue_smilie:)

Mainly, the school has to offer great things that I cannot. Plus, It cannot mean sacrificing anything I consider a priority (math, writing...).

Yup, we've thought through those since the beginning, too. We wouldn't be homeschoolers if we weren't nutso planners, right?

Lab sciences come to mind. French with a native speaker. Calculus with someone who really, really gets it. Band. Sports after 15...

Now, most of those we can track down and outsource without the school, but we have considered them, and continue to weigh their importance (not that we necessarily know what that is at this age), difficulty of sourcing, etc.