Menu

WWYD? Promotion opportunity for dh but...(the catch)

Isn't there ALWAYS a catch? Some background. Dh worked for JHU Talent Development High Schools a couple years ago. LOVES what he does there. Who wouldn't? Low stress, not a ton of hard work, days to work from home, travel, etc. He left that position b/c the traveling was beginning to be too much (10-15 days out of each month). I was going insane. So, fast forward to now. He's back at JHU (since March) after working out a deal that he would only travel 2 days out of each month (basically one overnight stay).

He's been given the opportunity to move up and become a manager but it would require more travel. A lot more. Back to AT LEAST 5 days away (sometimes 5 in a row) PLUS probably a few more. His salary would increase by at least $10K/yr. That's substantial for us. Interesting thing is that he doesn't know WHEN that salary increase would take place but he would need to start doing the work for the new position right away. Basically his employer would be having their cake and eating it too. I KNOW this company. I KNOW how they operate. Give them an inch...they take a couple thousand miles. They'll use dh at his current salary as long as they can and he'll be traveling a lot more but not getting that nice salary increase. If he doesn't agree to this (working the new position w/out the salary increase until they can budget it) he won't get the promotion. I'm just so frustrated. See, I KNEW this would happen. He's been there 4 months and already they are finding ways to have him traveling more but not pay him more. Dh is blind to this. He'll defend them until the cows come home.

So, long story, I'm sorry. If you've read to this point, WWYD? IF, the salary increase takes place soon (earliest would be Sept), it would really help us but I just don't do well when dh is away for days at a time. It really wreaks havoc w/ our family structure and dynamics. Plus, I get very resentful and bitter b/c I feel like I'm always getting the short end of the stick. A salary increase would help, but still wouldn't put us into a real "comfort" zone. Then there would be all the travel at his current, not quite cutting it, salary. So, WWYD? Tell dh to ake the position in hopes of the raise but sig. more travel? Stay at current position and current salary but only 2 days of travel? We need the money, but it would mean sacrificing so many things (mostly on my part). Dh wouldn't be able to coach my 2 older sons' basketball team next year and that would really disappoint them. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I'm so darn bitter about his job. He loves it, but I keep thinking he could make more money somewhere else.

If it were me, I'd skip the promotion. I'd be more concerned with how the whole thing would disrupt my family life.

Yes, this is where I am leaning. BUT, after talking to dh this evening over the phone, I could "hear" in his voice that he was leaning toward taking the position, regardless of what it did to the family. He was "saying" one thing (that he was unsure), but the tone of his voice spoke volumes. He even admitted to really wanting this position. :glare:

Plus, I get very resentful and bitter b/c I feel like I'm always getting the short end of the stick.

Unless you can find a way to work through your feelings of resentment, choosing the promotion could be devastating to your relationship.

We need the money, but it would mean sacrificing so many things (mostly on my part).

As difficult a time as you currently have with your husband's absence, could the money possibly be worth additional sacrifice on your part?

Good wishes to you, Sue, as you work through this.

It sounds like you're already pretty dead-set against this. And if you're going to feel terribly resentful about this... Well, your dh needs to know that.

But going with your original question, "what would *I* do"? I'd encourage him to take the promotion. Five days a month of travel isn't that much -- and it's really not a huge increase over two days a month. It sounds like it's a job that would make him happy, and it would help alleviate some of the financial stress on your family. All of those things are major pluses in my book.

Instead of entering into this with the attitude that this is a tremendous hardship and carrying around lots of resentment... Can you consider ways to make this a different experience than the last time around? Family dynamics are constantly changing things, and you as the mother have huge power to mold that dynamic. Yes, having dad away at semi-unpredictable times can be challenging (and I know it's easier for me because I only have two kids, and both of mine are now school-aged, but I'm very, very familiar with having a husband who works extremely long hours and/or travels frequently), but there are ways of coping with that and making it a better experience -- not the least of which is working on a more positive attitude... But also consider practical helps for you. Try to think through the most difficult aspects (in the past) of having him away, and how you can change that. What can be done to make life easier and run more smoothly for you and the kids when he's away.

(Edited to add: I *do* agree with others that your dh would be better off approaching the company in a calm, confident manner and asking for the raise to be offered in writing -- even if it won't go into effect until X date.)

So, long story, I'm sorry. If you've read to this point, WWYD? IF, the salary increase takes place soon (earliest would be Sept), it would really help us but I just don't do well when dh is away for days at a time. It really wreaks havoc w/ our family structure and dynamics. Plus, I get very resentful and bitter b/c I feel like I'm always getting the short end of the stick. Dh wouldn't be able to coach my 2 older sons' basketball team next year and that would really disappoint them. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. I'm so darn bitter about his job. He loves it, but I keep thinking he could make more money somewhere else.

I can only tell ya what works for us. My husband travels on and off for work. When he is gone, it is usually for 5 nights. The company pays for gas, the hotel and food. Because we homeschool.. we can go with him. The kids LOVE staying at hotels (I love the free breakfast). While dh is working, we are swiming at the hotel, doing lessons in the hotel or at a local library OR visiting historical/educational places around where he is. This way we still get dinners or evening together. I've also been know to get a sitter at the last minute and show up and surprise him at the hotel.

Is there any way you can travel a bit with him?

Sometimes we drive with him but if there is a reason we have to be back earlier than him (baseball, youth event, etc), I drive separate. When he works the mexico border, I don't go. It isn't safe for the kids and I to hang around there so I use THOSE weeks for special mom/kid times. This is when we hit up the $1 theatre, the beach at sunrise or sunset or have ice cream for dinner nights.

Just another way of thinking about his travels.?!?!

Sue, didn't you post something a while back about your dh's employers and co-workers always telling your dh how great he is, and boosting his ego? It sounds to me as if this "promotion" was the reason for all of the ego padding! You know: Make him feel great about the work he is doing, make him feel like they just can't do without him, then wham! They need him to do this extra work, just until they can work out his salary increase (um, yeah, right).

Nope! Family card trumps possible (and who knows when) income increase card. Game over. Of course, I wouldn't put it that way, exactly. But that would be the gist of my message to dh.

Just my 2 cents!

-Robin

Sue, didn't you post something a while back about your dh's employers and co-workers always telling your dh how great he is, and boosting his ego? It sounds to me as if this "promotion" was the reason for all of the ego padding! You know: Make him feel great about the work he is doing, make him feel like they just can't do without him, then wham! They need him to do this extra work, just until they can work out his salary increase (um, yeah, right).

Nope! Family card trumps possible (and who knows when) income increase card. Game over. Of course, I wouldn't put it that way, exactly. But that would be the gist of my message to dh.

Just my 2 cents!

-Robin

My feelings exactly and I DID put it that way! I KNOW how they operate b/c we've btdt! The salary increase isn't so important to dh...b/c it doesn't effect him quite as much. I can't believe you remembered that post from months ago!

IF I could find a way to be less resentful about this it would be a great opportunity. I don't see dh getting ANY type of salary increase in the near future if he doesn't jump at this. My resentment stems from so much more than just this particular job. Too much to get into here although I wish I could b/c I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it. Anyhoo...thank for all the replies everyone.

I would try very, very hard to be very supportive of dh in his career, especially if he is happy. That can be a very rare thing - for a man to be happy with his position. And if he is indeed happy - I think it would be a mistake to hold him back from advancement in his company. A man who feels inferior at his job, not advancing, etc - is not going to be a man who will be happy at home.

That said - I would strongly encourage dh to negotiate with his superiors who are offering the promotion and stand his ground and not be taken advantage of. He should not agree to the new responsibilities until he is paid for them and he should also make sure the amount of travel is specified. I might even hold out for a higher pay raise! Are they going to fire him if he doesn't take the new travel requirements now wothout pay? If not - he'll still be there when the money is available in the budget. And they should respect him more for not letting them take advantage of him. As a wife, I think we can help our husbands to see this, without sounding like we are complaining about how much time their job takes away from the family.

As the children get older it does get easier to have dad away, and I know that you have your special challenges - but, I would really caution against trying to influence dh to not take the promotion based on the sacrifices you will have to make.

As far as coaching the team - couldn't he sign on as an assistant with the knowledge that he won't be able to make it to every practice/game? - and a lot could happen in a year. I wouldn't hold up dad's career because of a future sports season.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - I just know how difficult family/married life can be when a man doesn't feel fulfilled in his career. And it is so much easier for me as his wife to make sacrifices when I know he is happy wher he is in his employment. (Hey - I am leaving my home of 38 years and moving next month because of this - talk about sacrifice!!)

I hope that you both can come to a good place with this.

I would try very, very hard to be very supportive of dh in his career, especially if he is happy. That can be a very rare thing - for a man to be happy with his position. And if he is indeed happy - I think it would be a mistake to hold him back from advancement in his company. A man who feels inferior at his job, not advancing, etc - is not going to be a man who will be happy at home.

That said - I would strongly encourage dh to negotiate with his superiors who are offering the promotion and stand his ground and not be taken advantage of. He should not agree to the new responsibilities until he is paid for them and he should also make sure the amount of travel is specified. I might even hold out for a higher pay raise! Are they going to fire him if he doesn't take the new travel requirements now wothout pay? If not - he'll still be there when the money is available in the budget. And they should respect him more for not letting them take advantage of him. As a wife, I think we can help our husbands to see this, without sounding like we are complaining about how much time their job takes away from the family.

As the children get older it does get easier to have dad away, and I know that you have your special challenges - but, I would really caution against trying to influence dh to not take the promotion based on the sacrifices you will have to make.

As far as coaching the team - couldn't he sign on as an assistant with the knowledge that he won't be able to make it to every practice/game? - and a lot could happen in a year. I wouldn't hold up dad's career because of a future sports season.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - I just know how difficult family/married life can be when a man doesn't feel fulfilled in his career. And it is so much easier for me as his wife to make sacrifices when I know he is happy wher he is in his employment. (Hey - I am leaving my home of 38 years and moving next month because of this - talk about sacrifice!!)

I hope that you both can come to a good place with this.

I think this is really excellent advice, Brenda.

It sounds like you're already pretty dead-set against this. And if you're going to feel terribly resentful about this... Well, your dh needs to know that.

But going with your original question, "what would *I* do"? I'd encourage him to take the promotion. Five days a month of travel isn't that much -- and it's really not a huge increase over two days a month. It sounds like it's a job that would make him happy, and it would help alleviate some of the financial stress on your family. All of those things are major pluses in my book.

Instead of entering into this with the attitude that this is a tremendous hardship and carrying around lots of resentment... Can you consider ways to make this a different experience than the last time around? Family dynamics are constantly changing things, and you as the mother have huge power to mold that dynamic. Yes, having dad away at semi-unpredictable times can be challenging (and I know it's easier for me because I only have two kids, and both of mine are now school-aged, but I'm very, very familiar with having a husband who works extremely long hours and/or travels frequently), but there are ways of coping with that and making it a better experience -- not the least of which is working on a more positive attitude... But also consider practical helps for you. Try to think through the most difficult aspects (in the past) of having him away, and how you can change that. What can be done to make life easier and run more smoothly for you and the kids when he's away.

If I'd had the time, this is what I'd have written, FWIW. Thanks, abbeyej, for taking the time....

I personally feel like since my husband fully supports me financially and allows me the great gift of being home with my children, he is the one who has to decide how to actually do that. It's not that I wouldn't state an opinion or ask questions or bring up issues, but in the end, I try not to really assert myself because I have to trust HIM to be able to decide what to do professionally and how to deal with his company.

Maybe he defends the company because they have been good to him and he can see their side?

I don't know. But I think for men, promotions mean more than just money. If you are going to spend your life working to support yourself and your family, it's nice to be able to succeed at that.

If they are actually going to give him that raise and he wants it, I might express concern about the traveling, and I might want him to press them on WHEN that increase would occur. But the man has - what? nine? people to support. That extra money would make a huge difference and I would not want to be the wife that held him back.

I would, however, be the wife that suggested he be professional in pressing the terms of his promotion - insisted on something in writing regarding travel and the timing of his raise.

I agree with wagnfun about trying to see if there is a way you could travel with him sometimes. How fun would that be? That kind of flexibility is one of the reasons we homeschool.

I also agree wholeheartedly with Brenda in FL especially when she says that your dh should stand his ground w/his employers about the salary.

Also, does your dh fly when he travels? Can he accumulate frequent flyer miles that your family can use for vacations?

My dh is away a lot - not because he's traveling, but because he is so busy w/work, church and helping is mom around the house. We try to make the best of it - if dh is not home for dinner the kids know they can have one of two treats - they can either read books at the dinner table while they eat (which they love to do) or they can watch a dvd while they eat (which they also love to do). These two little things have made his absences easier for the kids. Maybe you can establish some special privileges that occur only when dh is away?

Best of luck with all of this. In the past, I've allowed myself to be resentful of my dh's busyness and quite honestly, the resentment took a bigger toll on our relationship then the actual absences. Once I learned to accept them and not feel so sorry for myself, it became much better.

One more thing...I would just like to encourage you to try to be thankful. I'm sure there's lots in this situation you can be thankful for. Make a list of them and then when you start to be bothered by the situation, go back to your thankful list and think about that instead. You'll be amazed at how this one thing will change you.

HTH! :)

I'm all about compromise, or at least trying to find "the 3rd alternative," as I say around here all the time! Decisions are rarely either/or.

He could go to the department with his own proposal--something along the lines of, yes, I'll take the new job, but I want it in writing when the salary increases--in writing, or not at all. Or, he could say, yes, the job sounds like a good fit for me and my family, and I am willing to travel X amount of days.

Have everything put in writing. He has a little leverage, because his current job isn't in danger, and they are courting him. He needs to show a little backbone, frankly, and not sell himself short.

And I'd support the heck out of him, under those conditions. Tell him to put on his big boy panties and knock'em dead, because he's the MAN, YEA BABY!

(oh, wait--that'd be boxers, not panties...):lol::lol::lol:

We would not consider the increase in salary worth my dh not being a part of the family (in physical presence). These years are precious and irreplaceable. Unless you are choosing between having food, shelter etc., then I would not consider the trade-off worthwhile. If he loves what he does then I would try to brainstorm with dh other ways of bringing in income. Either of you with a PT job that takes little away from family time, work from home, etc. Or just seriously cut back. We would feel that it is worth it to have dh around. HTH

Kim

Since it will make your dh happy and the travel doesn't seem excessive, I'd say he should take it. I suggest you take a small portion of that salary increase and hire someone to help out with some household chores, maybe and bi-weekly cleaning person or a babysitter for one afternoon per week to provide you with some away time.

We would not consider the increase in salary worth my dh not being a part of the family (in physical presence). These years are precious and irreplaceable. Unless you are choosing between having food, shelter etc., then I would not consider the trade-off worthw... Either of you with a PT job that takes little away from family time, work from home, etc.

I believe if you do the math, traveling an additional three nights a month (over the current travel) will take *significantly* fewer waking hours away from the family as a whole than a part-time job would.

My experience with a husband who worked extremely long hours and then later having a husband (same one, lol) who works much more reasonable hours but travels has been that we get to spend a great deal more time with him when he travels but has reasonable hours otherwise. The travel is much more manageable than juggling multiple jobs -- and a mere 5 nights (or so) a month is a lot less time a way than most part-time jobs would be.

I am against extra work for no extra pay at any time, but if this company has a history of trying to get as much extra work out of him as they can w/out paying for it, I would be even more against it. If you and your children could travel with him, it might be worth it, but if you can't, then no, it is not. I understand looking on the bright side of life(anyone want to sing with me?), but *I* would be resentful in your situation, no matter how much I wanted to be the better person.

I had one other thought about your situation, Sue. It's possible that this promotion and added responsibility, even with the drawbacks of added travel, would be a stepping stone or resume builder for your dh. If holding this position would open doors for him to later move into a job with an even better salary and no travel, then wouldn't this step be worth it to your family?

We moved from MO to TX almost 2 years ago for dh's job. He had been working from home, which I loved. But it wore on him, not being able to share creative energy with others in an office setting. So even though there were wonderful reasons not to move, dh felt that for where he was in his career and if he was going to be the best designer his boss needed, that we needed to move to the office location. And while the kids don't have dad upstairs now to see off and on through the day, they have a much more energetic and happy dad. One who is excited to come back home to us at the end of the day (most times). And that just means so much to our family.

Jami

A promotion is a good thing. It is good for his self esteem. It is good for his resume. It is good for his position in this company. Many companies are going to wind up letting the employee go who will not play the game. Part of the game is in the promotions. If nothing else, it looks good for future employment possibilities. Make the best of it you can. Lemonaid is quite tasty.

• 1 year later...

maybe you could take the extra money and put it towards travelling with him sometimes?

dh and i reached an agreement that when travel went over 50% of the time in any given 30 day period, the whole family went with him. its one of the reasons we homeschool. 50% is still way too much; just last night we were talking of what it would take for it to be only 30% of the time. sigh...

so last weekend we were in San Francisco, and then monday-tuesday in las vegas. the end of september we'll go to puerto rico (after he's been in washington and india for 3 weeks - we don't have enough air miles for india, and we just can't do it if we have to pay for airfare, so that's that...).

but its added an amazing dimension to homeschooling. when the children were babies, it was a little hair-raising, but they are great little travellers now.... its that old "turning lemons into lemonade" thing...

the other side of the coin is that in this economic climate, turning down promotions can end up being a problem. if they are laying anyone off, it can often be the one who is seen as not being a "team player"...

good luck with hard choices!

ann

Assuming he could get a firm date on when the extra money would happen, I'd encourage him to take it. And then whenever he traveled for more than a couple nights in a row I'd do something nice for myself with that extra money - takeout, or whatever. Sometimes it's hard to not resent when dh travels but I'd hate for him to resent me for holding him back in his career and on an opportunity to provide more for our family.

my dh used to travel several times a year for 2 weeks at a time. I had 3 babies. I never, ever would have said a word about it. Ever. My dh worked really hard so that I could stay home with the kids. So what if it was hard on me. I was already getting what I had asked for.

Can't really help you with the decision making..........my husband travels a lot and I cope with it. I can tell you that it gets easier as you get a routine down for when he's gone....and it gets easier as the kids get older and are able to help out around the house and not demand quite so much of your absolute focused attention. I do understand the resentment....mine isn't so much when he's gone as when he returns and complains about how exhausted he is and wants a day of the kids being quiet so he can "relax". We've had a few rows about it, but he finally understands that as tired as he is, I am too....and I don't get to come home and take a day off! I think it's vital that you and he talk, calmly if at all possible, about your resentment and how to work through that as a couple. I know I don't have all the facts of your situation, but I'm gonna bet that if he turns this particular job down, it's not going to be long before another situation where he'll have to travel comes along, so you may as well face it soon. (As an aside, I would push DH to get the promised raise in writing with a deadline for it to happen so it doesn't become the "we don't have the budget this year"...been there, did that, left that job quickly, lol. In our case it was the same thing....we need someone to do the work now, and at fiscal year review we're "sure" we can fit it in the budget...and of course months later he's doing the job great and suddenly other priorities ate up the budget....never again.) Resentment can and will eat away at the relationship if it goes unresolved. So come up with some ways that you can have YOUR needs met, but he can still do what he must for his job. A few suggestions:

Perhaps you could use some of the raise to hire a homeschool high schooler to come over and be a mother's helper? Pick and choose what you feel you need the most help with (or let it be different each week according to your needs).....playing with the kids so that you can get other things done, cleaning the house for you, tutoring/supervising some of their school work, whatever. After all $10k is $833 a month, even after taxes it's about $600 a month....if you were to pay $10 an hour for a helper (around here that's apparently the going rate, your area may differ of course)...but $10 an hour for perhaps 2 days a week at 4 hours a day, is $80 a week. Sounds like he may be gone at least one week, and if your prediction about "take an inch" comes true it may be 2 weeks.....so figure $160 a month, still leaves you with an extra $440+. But a more relaxed mom, or maybe just one that gets everything done?

The other, and this is more what I do (because my husband's travelling doesn't include a raise, lol).....find ways to make things easier on you. I tried and failed at Once A Month cooking, because I dreaded and hated that one day of total exhaustion.....but what I found DID work for me is to cook double meals. It's very very little extra work for me to make twice as much spaghetti sauce or an extra pan of lasagne....so I freeze half and then only have to thaw, cook noodles, make a salad and we're eating. When we grill chicken we fill the entire grill and freeze the leftover (no extra work and no wasting the propane grill gas!). I have soooo many different recipes that we use cooked chicken for, our favorite being Teriyaki Rice bowls. So double recipe of the sauce whenever I make it, extra grilled chicken, and all I have to do is use my rice maker to make rice and it also steams veggies. We also eat things that my DH doesn't really consider "dinner"....like waffles (and my kids make it themselves so it's a no-work for me)....or hot dogs, another easy one for me. We also will just do a popcorn dinner (usually with some cheese and salami for filling)....again, little to no work for me.

Housecleaning goes to "lite" when DH is gone.....I don't vacuum or mop daily....the bathrooms also go to every second day, etc. Just before he leaves the family spends about 3 hours doing a heavy-duty cleaning of the house....and when he comes home, after his day off, we do it again. Sure it's a little less perfect, but it never gets so dirty that I can't stand it, and it gives me a little less to do each day. As the kids have gotten older and more capable of doing the bigger jobs(like vaccum, mop, dishes, laundry) they have taken this off me even when DH is in town.

We school year round so I don't ever feel like school is a burden....some days we do school lite, some days we're so into it that we suddenly look up and realize it's dinner time. So when life gets rough I don't feel the pressure of having to put in x hours of school. If it works we keep going, if it doesn't then we know we're ok to slow down for a day. And thankfully my kids love learning enough that they don't slack off for more than a day without complaining about it...I know that doesn't work for all families and some must keep the strict schedule or it gets lost quickly, but that's not us.

I hope you're able to find the balance to make it possible for your resentment to lessen. Resentment can be quite exhausting all by itself!

Ooops, I didn't notice it was so old either, lol.

I would love to hear what they decided and how it's going.....

If he took the promotion has he seen the raise yet....is he travelling as much as she feared, has they been able to work through her resentment, how is she doing with the workload and everything

If he didn't take the promotion, how is he handling it since it sounded like he may end up with some resentment.....is he still only travelling a little bit or have they snuck a few more days in, lol.

Whatever happened I hope that it has worked out to be blessing for your family!

I can only tell ya what works for us. My husband travels on and off for work. When he is gone, it is usually for 5 nights. The company pays for gas, the hotel and food. Because we homeschool.. we can go with him. The kids LOVE staying at hotels (I love the free breakfast). While dh is working, we are swiming at the hotel, doing lessons in the hotel or at a local library OR visiting historical/educational places around where he is. This way we still get dinners or evening together. I've also been know to get a sitter at the last minute and show up and surprise him at the hotel.

Is there any way you can travel a bit with him?

Sometimes we drive with him but if there is a reason we have to be back earlier than him (baseball, youth event, etc), I drive separate. When he works the mexico border, I don't go. It isn't safe for the kids and I to hang around there so I use THOSE weeks for special mom/kid times. This is when we hit up the $1 theatre, the beach at sunrise or sunset or have ice cream for dinner nights.

Just another way of thinking about his travels.?!?!

I want to be you. That sounds like so much fun.