Menu

Teaching the Classics ?

Does Teaching the Classics teach all the literary terminology that one needs to know or should one supplement what is learned with say something like Figuratively Speaking? Also, does it teach much in the way of poetry analysis?

I am strongly leaning toward buying this to teach literature to my rising high school student and my middle school student.

I have it, but haven't used it yet. Looking at the scope & sequence though, here is what it will teach:

Conflict & Plot

Alliteration & rhyme

Onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration~lightly touched on

Imagery, simile, personification, metaphor, allusion, symbolism

Setting

Character, irony, foreshadowing

Theme, allusion

Context & authorship

Theme, dialect

It is mostly written to you as a teacher, but you could teach it in the same manner to your students.

I also have Windows to the World. It seems a bit more advanced. It maybe good to use after this program.

There is a study of Paul Revere's Ride for poetry, but is by no means a complete poetry study. You could follow this up with a poetry study of your choosing.

You might want to consider The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within, by Stephen Fry. It's written as a guide to understanding poetry by writing it yourself, but you could skip those writing-it-yourself bits if you wanted. He starts with one element of poetry at a time, with the most common metre, then rhyme schemes, etc.. The glossary of poetic terms is one of the most comprehensive I've seen. (And there's a dash of British humour, too...)

Anne

definitions, but I would also recommend another supplement which would thoroughly cover and explain the terms necessary for literary analysis. When my oldest was in 6th grade, we used a book called Walch's Toolbook of Prose and Poetry. It's not written towards high school students; it seems to be written more at a 6th-8th grade level. Nevertheless, it was a good introduction to literary terms. I'm sure there's something out there geared towards high school students.

I also bought my daughter this book for her birthday: How to Read Literature Like a Professor

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Read+Literature+Like+a+Professor

which I unfortunately can't give you a review of because neither she nor I have read it yet! Notice that there's a newer book that just came out, How to Read Novels Like a Professor.

HTH!

I thank you all for the replies.

I guess I will pick up a reinforcement book of literary terms. I am leaning toward Figuratively Speaking becasue I can order that several places and thus combine shipping:)

I was thinking of using Hewitt or PP for the poetry study.

I have the How to Read Literature Like a Professor. It's a good book.

in conjunction with Mosdos Gold. Mosdos has an impressive poetry section (it's about half of the book), and also allows you to study literary devices little by little. They build upon each other in a way to really help you "see" theme by the end. I do think that Teaching the Classics brought it all together in a more grown up way though.

Staci

You might want to consider The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within' date=' by Stephen Fry.[/quote']:iagree: This is an excellent resource.