Menu

Foot Dragging Driving me BONKERS.

Yes, this is a pet peeve thing.

My daughter, now 5.5, drags her feet. It makes me nuts. Drags may not be the right word. The best way I can describe it is that, when she walks, the ball of her foot hits first and her foot sort of slides a bit, in the toe to heel direction. It creates a Scrsih Scrish Scrish sound as she walks. (Yes, that is the technical term.) She's always walked this way in any sneaker, regardless of brand or fit. When she was younger, I would constantly correct her with "Heel-toe, please, don't drag your feet." Which would last about three steps, then I'd say it again (not always patiently, I admit) and she'd get very annoyed. My husband told me I was over-reacting so I backed off. Even if she goes through every pair of shoe before she can even outgrow them because the toe of the sole tears off and starts flapping like a talking muppet while she walks. Grrr. But I've kept my mouth shut.

Now, though, she's been complaining that her knees hurt. I snapped my ACL when I was 16 and so I'm pretty paranoid that she be kinder to her joints. I know this way she walks is hard on her knees. So now I'm back to correcting again. But it's making the family walks a wee bit tense. :D Flip flops and sandals (which prevent this problem as she walks correctly so as not to rip off her toes) are not really a good solution as she is a climber. And we're talking 2-3 mile walks/hikes on trails, so I want her in good supportive shoes.

Any suggestions? I see slight improvements if I continually remind her (as in I only have to say it every 2 minutes instead of every ten seconds) but, again, we're not really having too much fun lately.

Or am I just being crazy and I should let her walk however she wants?

That's something I would probably bring up with her doctor--I'd be worried about long-term issues it could cause with her legs/feet/joints, like you mentioned. How does she walk when she's barefoot on a soft surface? If she walks normally when barefoot, I would be less worried (since it's not her "default" way of walking) and I'd be inclined to think that her tennis shoe walk is a habit she developed, possibly because she liked the sound/sensation the "scraping" made.

Hmmm, I'll have to check. I don't really think I've watched her walk barefoot too much. I know her brother and dad are both "toe walkers" but neither of them scuff their feet. I myself was severely pigeon-toed as a kid, and I remember being about 6 or 7 and deciding I wanted to walk differently. I actually vividly remember thinking "point my toes straight" and teaching myself to walk right. Maybe she'll have a similar memory but it will be of my nagging. :glare:

My cousin had some special insoles put in all his shoes to help him walk heel toe instead of the other way around. Talking to your doctor might not be a bad idea. I can completely understand the worry about her joints, I would be too.

Thanks, all, for at least helping me feel like I'm not nuts for caring. :D

I do think she has sensory issues, but our OT says each of my kids are "borderline" so we have no diagnosis. But we have had OT and have benefited from lots of things. It never occurred to me to ask about her walking. Dur.

My dad always said I was the smartest person he knew who never had any common sense. Glad to know I'm continuing to prove him right. ;)

Thanks again, we'll be talking to both the ped and the OT.

I would not go to the ped unless you are already there. I haven't had much luck with peds with this type of assessment. I would go to the OT or a podiatrist. I wonder if she has a muscular issue that makes it difficult to walk the correct way. They may prescribe exercises or other interventions to help you with your correction of her gait.