Menu

What were your Hits & Misses for the 2011-2012 school year?

ereks mom

By hits, I mean curriculum choices that you, the teacher, found effective and user-friendly, and that were well-tolerated by your kids.

For my 7th grader, the Hits were:

• Teaching Textbooks Math 7
  • BJU Reading 6
  • Evan-Moor Daily Reading Comprehension

The Misses:

• Writing Strands -- It was... boring.
  • Properties of Ecosystems (used in MFW ECC) -- also boring

The Also-Rans:

• MFW ECC -- I wanted to love this, but I actually found it only so-so. I am a perpetual curriculum-tweaker, and this one needed more than its fair share of tweaking in order to make it work for us.
  • Easy Grammar -- Not enough retention for my student; apparently we needed something a bit less independent.

I love these threads!

Hits:

BSGFAA--they loved this!

Elemental Science-- was meh for me but a huge hit for dd and it got done, so I guess it was a bigger hit than I thought!

Math Mammoth/Right Start games combo--worked great and dd especially loves the games aspect

Sonlight readers and read alouds. Love them!

Misses:

SOTW, tragic I know :leaving: dd just wasn't a fan. And for me it was too much breadth not enough depth and too all over the place to stay chronological. Also, looking back I am really disappointed in our lack of biblical integration for such a biblically rich time

Hits:

HOD Preparing, Little Hearts and Bigger. Not as crazy as it sounds to run three guides and they all made progress in many areas.

CLE Math (for two of the kids)

R&S Math (for a different kid): kind of a surprise but he loves it so we're continuing.

Saxon Algebra I: First time I've had a kid going through this but he did well and liked it.

Smarr's Introduction to Literature: worked surprisingly well for my lit and writing phobic guy

Mapping the World With Art: My 15yods's favorite course for the year.

Misses:

AAS (I should have known - this was the second time I purchased it)

Illuminations for High School - was abandoned about half-way through - especially the lit portion

DITHOR - we ended up just reading the books after the first few genres and writing book reports

4th grader

HITS:

HOD Preparing (except Science)

R&S grammar

MM4

MISSES:

HOD Preparing Science (all over the place and boring)

K'er

HITS:

Elemental American History

Elemental Intro to Science

unexpected hit: HOP k/1 He LOVES this

8th grade

Hits:

Florida Virtual School online classes (high school level only)

Life of Fred Algebra - claims it has taught her more than Saxon or FLVS

Galore Park Latin Exercises - Book 1 - all the writing helped solidify the online class material

Misses:

Escondido Tutorial Services - Great Books I

Loved the class, but the platform used for the weekly discussion wasn't compatable with our computers. After hours (and hours) of attempting to correct the situation including having their own tech guru enter our computer from the other side, we couldn't make it work correctly and had to drop the class during the second semester.

6th grade

Hits:

piano lessons, guitar lessons, online music theory class

Misses:

Florida Virtual School online classes

all things math

OK, basically all things academic :rolleyes:

(We're making changes for next year.)

2nd grade

Hits:

Pentime 2

Singapore Math 2 A/B

Life of Fred Math A, B, C

Geography (online) - she loves this subject, who knew? :)

Misses:

Galore Park Junior Science 1 - too much writing, not enough hands-on

Little House on the Prairie series - she can't stand it - We will move on after finishing book 2.

Kindergarten

Hits:

Pentime 1

Hooked on Phonics workbooks

Misses:

Scheduled school times :tongue_smilie:

Hits:

Beast Academy

Miquon (who would have thought I'd EVER figure this one out!)

Read, Write, Type

AAS

Lego Mindstorms

Misses:

WWE (SO sad about this, but absolutely terrible fit for my dyslexic ds, at least I can try it again on #2)

Supercharged Science (LOVE the idea & content, stink at actually getting around to it)

Hits:

Derek Owens Prealgebra

The *concise* edition of A History of US by Joy Hakim (from K12)

Geography Alive! (TCI)

Writing with Skill

Hake Grammar (*not* the writing portion)

K12's Intermediate English B and Literary Analysis and Composition (Literature strand *only*)

Misses:

Hake Writing (the grammar part is great)

Write Source

The *original* A History of US by Joy Hakim

Hits:

Dd13: Lyrical Life Science 1 with Kingfisher Science Enc. & lots of research & drawing.

CLE LA, Reading & Math.....we are making progress.

Sonlight Core W at 1/2 pace using Patterns of World History as a spine instead of CHOW.

Sonlight LA ( surprisingly has been good for this dd. I use their dictation selections and take 2 weeks on each writing assignment allowing time for edits and rewrites. I really like this...somehow it clicked for her.

Misses:

Apologia General Science...GAH!

Latin....never got started.

Wordly Wise...Meh...

Ds 9:

Hits...

CLE Math, LA & Reading

A Beka Science

History ala WTM...using Usborne World History

WWE

Misses:

Anything I read aloud. This kid can not focus on read alouds. He is really cute and pleasant though...:D

Ds7:

Hits

A Beka Math

WWE

misses

Pretty much everything we used this year besides the 2 hits....He hated CLE...tears upon tears.

We finally had him doing lots of reading, practicing penmanship, and doing various worksheets to cover grammar basics.

For my kids and I, we LOVE Nancy Larson Science. This is the first year we actually finished science and the first subject that was done.

Kinder :

Hits : McRuffy Math, LA, Spelling, HW.

Misses : None.

6th grader

Tolerates : TT, Soaring With Spelling, Climbing to Good English and Story of USA series.

Misses : BJU Heritage Studies.

Julia

2nd grade

Hits:

AAS 2

Proverbs People

GuestHollow Otter's Human Body Science

HWOT

Rand McNally Schoolhouse Beginner Geography (picked this back up after dropping Road Trip)

USAB Download N Go studies

Prima Latina

Misses:

FLL 2 (sad, b/c we loved 1)

Road Trip USA (we are not lapbook people...at least at this point)

Apologia Anatomy & physiology. ( liked the "Try This" sections)

Tolerated:

BJU Math 2

Song School Latin

Edited by EastTNmom

2nd and Kinder:

Hits:

SSL w/ Latin Monkey Match (loved this!!)

Sonlight Cores B & P4/5

SWR (again this year)

FLL2/WWE2 (saw ds8's skills soar)

McCall-Crabbs Book A (ds8 loves those little tests)

LOF Elementary & Fractions

Singapore PM

I Can Do All Things Art

Noeo Biology I

Eh:

Seymour's CT K-3 (not really a miss but we got bored of doing the same book for two years)

Misses:

None this year

BTW....what is Also-Rans?? :blush:

This phrase comes from the origins of horse racing, and the fact that people generally pay attention to who comes up top.

Those outside the top three are often referred to as the rest, but in horse racing they are the also-rans - those that also ran in the race but no-one is particularly interested in.

(from http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/phrase-finder/phrase57)

In my post, I used "also-ran" to mean the materials that got the job done, but that I didn't find particularly impressive.

Edited by ereks mom

3rd Grade:

Hits:

-Math Rider (for math facts)

-Study Island (really pinpointed the gaps in our math/LA at the end of the year)

- Apples & Pears

-Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

-Scholastic's Funny Fairy Tale Grammar

-Scholastic's Super Sentences & Perfect Paragraphs

Misses:

- Mark Kistler online drawing

- MbtP Lit Units

- WWE

- Sequential Spelling

- CLE LA/ Reading

Ds12 used HOD RTR with Rosetta Stone French and TT Pre-Algebra. What wasn't a hit or miss was the stuff he did daily without complaint.

HITS: Apologia Astronomy w/HOD book additions, Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algrbra, HOD History projects

MISSES: MOH Volume 3 and the Shakespeare study in RTR. Both were just too much for him and he ended up telling me he was doing the reading when he wasn't. Didn't go over well at.all.

DS8 used HOD Bigger Hearts this year. Like older ds, what wasn't a hit or a miss was just something he did everyday without complaint.

HITS: Storytime books from HOD, History Projects/Readings, Teaching Textbooks Math 3, Cheerful Cursive, Elemental Science (add on for fun that he LOVED).

MISSES: No real misses for him, but he hated his poetry copywork every day and complained throughout the year. We "grade corrected" with him and kept him in 3rd on paper while he advanced academically, so some of that may be a maturity issue. We shall see.

We're currently in our new schooling year 2012

So hits for 2011 were:

AAS (not my favourite ;) )

WWE

SOTW 3

SL 7 readers and read alouds

Making Math Meaningful ~ Quine (the next book for ds just doesn't seem to be a go this year)

LOF

Exploration Education (science. Adjusted to suit us)

Misses

Drawing with Children :glare:

English From the Roots up for DD

Mammoth Math for DD

Hits

- Beast Academy

- Hands on Equations

- MCT

- HWOT Cursive

- Sentence Family

Misses

- AAS ... it used to be a favorite but it isn't working for us anymore

- FLL ... finally gave up when we were about to start FLL 3...it just isn't working for us anymore

We had several others that we have enjoyed regularly that didn't stand out in either direction.

HITS

-WWE (3 younger kids)

-First Language Lessons (3 younger kids)

-Rod and Staff English (8th grader, who woulda thunk it?!)

-Lials BCM- this really helped my oldest to solidify her math concepts and confidence in math

- Teaching Textbooks- been amazing! I was so worried after all the negative reviews on it. Since upgrading Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 (soon to be Pre-Calc I believe) I took the plunge and am VERY glad I did!

MISSES

-BJU English 8-- I just LOVE BJU grammar but apparently it fizzled for my oldest.

-Writing Strands :ack2:

-Holt American Government for my 8th grader. I tried :lol:

Great thread! Let's see, we just finished 3rd grade...

Hits:

Grammar Island (and the rest of MCT, but GI was the bit hit)

Singapore Math

Abeka Science (he really liked the book for some reason, I liked it because it was open and go, LOL)

Primary Grade Challenge Math

Beast Academy

Life of Fred

Misses:

Abeka Math (Panic ensues to this day if I mention it!)

LifePac Math (neither of us liked it enough to try it again)

Math Mammoth (DS couldn't stand the layout)

LLATL (we tried this three times and set it aside three times)

Also-rans (I like that!):

CLE Math and Winning with Writing. DS liked both... because "they're really easy for me, Mom!!" :glare: But he wasn't learning enough with either one.

Can you tell we tried a LOT of math programs this year?!? :lol:

Edited by SunnyDays

4th Grade:

Hits:

SL Core E

FLL 4

Copywork for Boys

Singapore Math 4 A/B

Misses:

WWE (not right for my kids)

1st Grade:

Hits:

Any Usborne books (he really didn't care whether they were his or his brother's)

LOF Elementary

FLL 1

Singapore Math 1 A/B

Misses:

SL Core A (really tried to fully implement 2 Cores, but it just didn't work for us, we'll be switching to TOG next year)

Pre-k and k

hits:

AAS

Saxton Math *k and 2*

IEW PAL Writing

Leapfrog TAG Learn to Read books

Dreambox

TWTM!

misses:

Math Mammoth

MEP

Connect the Thoughts

Moving Beyond the Page

Critical Thinking Co Building thinking skills

Hooked on Phonics

IEW PAL Reading

Handwriting without Tears

CoaH- Expedition Earth

..... yeah, we had a "find yourself" year....

Mixture of 5th and 7th grade stuff -

Hits:

Nancy Larson Science 3

Lightning Lit 8

Writeshop I

Jump In!

Building Spelling Skills

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

Harry Noden's Image Grammar for Middle School

Human Odyssey

Caesar's English I

Mark Kistler Online Art Classes

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra With Economics

Key to Fractions & Key to Decimals

Misses:

History at Our House

(*I* loved this. They did not. And we did it for the full year even though they complained. I was hoping they would "develop" a love for it, and they never did. I still love it. Sigh.)

Sciencesaurus

Worked But Not A Huge Hit:

Thinkwell

Horizons Pre-Algebra

I guess I'm happy we had so many hits!

Hits: Galore Park English, AAS, Math Mammoth, cursive handwriting by Teach Me Joy, science lessons using techniques from The Private Eye (when I remember to do them),

Misses: Meet the Masters (It's not the program, we just never got to art this year. I'm hoping to use it more next year.), Timez Attack (Ariel liked it at first, but got stressed out over the timer.)

Also-Ran: WWE (I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. It's solid, so we keep going.)

I know there's some other stuff we used, but it's early and I'm tired. I may add another post when I remember what they are. :001_huh::lol:

Misses:

HOD LHTH, LHFHG & Beyond: Beautiful, loved the idea, but fit my son like a square peg fits a round hole.

Math Mammoth: I had to be a dragon blasting unrelenting fire at my son's rear to get it done. We cried many tears. My son is a living math guy.

Hits:

Life of Fred Elementary

A lot of good books

EVERYONE

Hits

Singapore Math - But we're switching to Math Mammoth for ease of travel

Science - Videos from National Geographic, Fetch!, and anything else I could find. With Fetch!, I caught them building the machines independently. Science without my help; I'm all about that.

Misses

Lapbooking - I tried multiple times to interest the kids in lapbooking. Nothing. Even after spending hours cutting and pasting one together, they still weren't interested in looking at the information. Big bust!

Crafts - Not interested because they wanted to go out and play

3RD GRADE

Hits

Beast Academy - Loved this program

The Complete Book of Spanish - Good mix of activities and saw retention with oral practice

Natural Speller - I like the fact that similar words are grouped together

SOTW3 - He really enjoyed this one and we plan on using SOTW4 next year

WWE Instructor's Guide - Writing got done every day and I've seen good progress

US Geography Study - Really enjoyed learning about different states and their maps and flags. He can't walk by a US map without pointing out the states and reciting the capitals.

Misses

Latina Christiana - Not interested. I may put Latin on hold for another year and concentrate on Spanish.

WWW - A great introduction to the mechanics of writing, but it was overkill when coupled with my son's writing program.

Also Rans

GWG3 and FLL3 - Got done but grammar was not a favorite

KINDERGARTEN

Hits

Now I'm Reading! by Nora Gaydos - Excellent set of phonics readers. Sentences gradually get more difficult as the book progresses, the stories are engaging, and the illustrations are enjoyable.

OPGTR - After making some adjustments to the teaching method, DD has really taken off (but not without grumbling)

Theme Based Read Alouds - I would check out a group of picture books based on a theme. For Cinderella, it was similar stories from around the world (Cinder Edna was a favorite). One unit was bears, and I checked out all the Goldilocks and the Three Bears along with Eric Carle and non-fiction books.

Writing - Copywork pulled from her readers. In January, we began discussing grammar and she began labeling nouns and verbs in her sentences.

Misses

FIAR - I love this program, but dd did not enjoy all the activities

6th grade

Hits:

TT Algebra (almost was a miss, but we pushed through and it's been great)

R&S English (can't say she loved it, but I thought it was great)

Misses:

HOD (I wanted to love it, but dd hated it...the history, the science, etc)

We are just finishing up our first year - it was bumpy but we are almost done!!

HITS:

For all:

-SOTW

-Beginning Geo (Evan Moore)

-Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

For my Gr. 2 er

-all read alouds - he loves them

-logic safari

-HWOT cursive

-Miquon

For my K'er

-AAR

-OPGTR (a hit for me - my son disliked it but it has helped me teach him)

-Miquon

-Singapore

Misses

For my Gr. 2 er

-FLL - this is a struggle - but we keep moving slowly forward

-any math except Miquon, we have used TT and Singapore.

-ETC 7 and 8

For my K'er

-none !

-

The Hits:

First grade:

CLP Nature Reader 1. My dd loves it. She considers it science, and I get her to read more.

Using the MP lessons to pace our reading - she hated the readers we were using, but once we switched to reading real books, her reading took off and she felt very proud of her accomplishments. She started in Little Bear in Jan., when the eye doctor gave her visual development the green light. Right now, she's reading her way through our Robert McKlotskey collection.

Life of Fred Elementary. I don't know why, but she thinks these are awesome.

McRuffy cursive handwriting

And ETC never fails. It is a success.

Misses:

McRuffy readers - she could read them, but didn't enjoy it

Fifth Grade:

Could everything be a miss? perhaps. The biggest hit was cello lessons with a beginner group from the youth symphony. Other than that, the boxed set of Horrible Histories made it easy to pull her nose out of a fiction book.

On further consideration, the science reading worked great for her too. I borrow/stole/copied/used a list of science books for her to read this year which she really enjoyed choosing a weekly books from. Thanks nmoria. And here is her list that I used. The scientists in the field books were some of our favorites.

Edited by Karen in CO

We're just wrapping up 3rd grade and pre-k:

3rd grade hits:

Easy Grammar (my ds loved this)

Daily Language Review by Evan Moor (picked this up after Daily Grams was a bore---paired with EG and we had a fun and solid grammar program)

Sequential Spelling (this has been a hit since 1st grade--my ds still loves it and likes to start his day with it)

HWT cursive

Miquon

RS4K chemistry

Building Thinking Skills

Drawing With Children

Daily Science Reinforcers

Misses:

Wordly Wise 3 (This was a big hit in 2nd grade but it was torture to try to continue with. But I like the program.)

SOTW1(This was a hit and a miss. We're continuing with the program, it's just that my ds really doesn't like history.)

Writing Strands (I want to like it, but it wasn't happening. We ditched it mid year and started easing into WWE which has been going a lot better.)

Daily Grams (we just found them too simplistic and boring.)

Zaner Bloser cursive (got a workbook for more practice after HWT--yuck)

Pre-K hits:

Everything. ETC, HWT, Singapore Essential math, started OPGTR and Mudpies to Magnets, even the workbooks you can buy at WalMart. :lol:

Peak With Books (plan on using it again next year in more depth)

Miss:

the miss with both my kids has been the Family Math book. I always try to pull activities from it and it just never works.

A miss with my nearly 2 year old was Slow and Steady Get Me Ready. Just a silly book imo.

A hit was just letting her be. :lol:

Edited by Walking-Iris

4th Grade

Hits:

pretty much everything we are using now, we made a lot of changes in March:

MM, BA, LOF

MCT - especially Sentence Island (loved Mud!) and Caesar's English

WWS

BFSU, SOTW

Misses:

FLL4

Spelling Workout

Writing Strands

BTS 2

TT

Edited by rroberts707

Hits:

HWOT - The K, 1st and 3rd (cursive) grade packages. One son loved it, one tolerated it (with some complaining) but it definitely got the job done.

WWE1

FLL1

SOTW Ancients

MM

Apologia Astronomy

Misses:

ETC - Have tried it twice and now I give up.

Singapore Math

Right Start Math

AAS

SWO

The Jury is Still Out:

NOEO Biology - We jumped in to the study of the human body in January and I was not overly impressed with the 'experiments'. We are going to give it another try and start at the beginning.

This phrase comes from the origins of horse racing, and the fact that people generally pay attention to who comes up top.

Those outside the top three are often referred to as the rest, but in horse racing they are the also-rans - those that also ran in the race but no-one is particularly interested in.

(from http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/phrase-finder/phrase57)

In my post, I used "also-ran" to mean the materials that got the job done, but that I didn't find particularly impressive.

Oh, okay. Usually I'm the last to know everything.....but maybe not in this case. :001_smile:

:lol:

On further consideration, the science reading worked great for her too. I borrow/stole/copied/used a list of science books for her to read this year which she really enjoyed choosing a weekly books from. Thanks nmoria. And here is her list that I used. The scientists in the field books were some of our favorites.

Thank you! Off to borrow/steal/copy as well.

Hits:

Evan-Moor Daily Geography Practice - quick, painless, informative, and a good way to learn/practice basic map reading skills (used 2nd & 4th grades)

Didax Daily Mental Math - I cannot praise this little practice book highly enough. It is the best source I have found to teach mental manipulation of numbers (calculation) and objects (mentally viewing from different perspectives). I am going to continue to use this series on grade level (even with my advanced older child and mathematically challenged middle child) for as long as the series lasts.

Latina Christiana I - it works well, but the DVDs are vitally important unless you already know Latin!!! We were totally lost this year until we ordered the DVDs. The TM does not explain important things like declensions. Did I mention how necessary the DVDs are??!! The instruction is thorough, the chants are so very, very helpful, and my daughter enjoys the videos each week. (On a side note, I will personally deny the rumor that Ms. Lowe speaks with any sort of southern accent that makes her difficult to understand - I have lived in Texas for many years and have friends from West Virginia and Georgia - believe me, she does not have a southern accent! In all of the Prima Latina and Latina Christiana videos she drawled not ONE syllable. Every single syllable was...well...one syllable in length.)

Wordsmith Apprentice - we did not finish this book yet, but we plan to at the beginning of 5th grade. It got my writing-hating daughter writing, and taught her the value of a thesaurus. Her writing has improved immensely. I really like how the assignments are broken down into small sections so I can assign a lot or a little, depending on the day. She likes how the assignments are interesting and varied.

First Step Espanol (on knowitall.org) - free immersion lessons that teach through conversations, stories, and songs. My daughter and I have learned more Spanish than I thought was possible from a free program. My daughter loves it so much that she actually asked to continue with the next level (Next Step Espanol) over the summer.

Jump at Home - I credit this math workbook with providing my daughter with the incremental steps that she needed in order to develop a conceptual understanding of arithmetic and numbers in general. She went from a K level of understanding to a solid early 2nd grade understanding in a few short months. R&S math was great for teaching math facts, money, time, word problems, etc., but Jump at Home taught her basic things that no explanation of mine could convey (like how to count on from a number to add, and the pattern that our base 10 system has). It was probably a failure on my part to explain these basics (my older daughter intuitively gets math concepts, so she understood basic explanations), but this inexpensive workbook saved me. I am going to get the 3rd grade workbook for next year and save myself the frustration that my explanation of multiplication will cause. :D

place value chart - not a curriculum, but it works well for teaching place value and one-to-one correspondence of numbers.

Misses:

Spanish For Children A - maybe children can learn if they have the DVDs, but without them I don't see how (and they shouldn't market the program as complete without them). I still don't understand the logic behind not having a TM :confused:. The CD tracks were incomplete (so we couldn't learn the pronunciation of the conversational Spanish phrases provided each week) and the lady spoke extremely fast, the explanations in the book were convoluted and I kept having to read over the grammar portion and summarize it in my own words, and the program as a whole was a very, very poor introduction to Spanish. It looks like it might be easier to do next fall, after doing the free Spanish program mentioned above, but I would rather do almost any other Spanish curriculum than it. Every other program I have looked at has clearer, more concise, and more thorough explanations, and looks easier to use. Really, this program should just be thrown in the trash, and I hesitate to say that about most curriculum because almost everything can be modified to a usable state.

C-rods - not a curriculum, I know, and I am going to get nasty PMs over this, but they really do not work to explain math for every child. All my daughter got after weeks (months?) of playing/working with them was that 2 rods=one rod so 2=1. She totally could not understand that the different lengths represented different amounts that added together to create a larger amount. A place value chart that had straws of equal length that could be bundled together to make ten (and deconstructed to borrow back a ten) taught her more in fifteen minutes than those hours and hours of play with c-rods. C-rods work well for explaining concepts to my oldest and my youngest, but not for my middle child. She is just different :001_smile:.

CLE Reading - it just didn't work for my oldest. She retained nothing; apparently she requires some sort of interaction to learn new concepts. Good, thorough instruction, but just not our style. (4th grade)

Edited by Clear Creek
forgot one!

4th Grade

Hits:

Bravewriter

SOTW IV

Story of Science w/ science kits

MUS (finished Gamma/Delta/started Epsilon)

Grammarland

Misses:

MBTP

Outside classes (maybe I've learned, this is a lesson I seem to have to learn repeatedly)