Menu

All About Spelling not working. What else is there?

lillehei

I just did an end of the year evaluation that hive member Merry posted yesterday and both my kids said they were struggling in spelling and not liking it much. We start AAS last August with my dd (11 yo now) and she is in the beginning of book 4 currently. I started it a couple months ago with my 9 yo and he is in Level 2. My dd doesn't like the tiles so we don't use them much but my ds seems to enjoy them.

The biggest trouble I am having is getting spelling to transfer to their other subjects. They spell correctly in spelling but misspell in all their other subjects. They know all the rules (blue cards) and seem to know all the word banks and cards when we do spelling.

So, what else is there that is good for dyslexic and struggling spellers?

TIA,

Jen

Sequential Spelling is a great program and is recommended for dyslexics. We used it for about 1.5 years, and I saw improvement with my older 3 boys' spelling (though none are dyslexic). I did follow the instructions on how to use the program and used a white board and different colored markers when giving the tests. My personal opinion is that this is important for the program.

We switched to Rod & Staff spelling, and my plan now is to use this all the way through for my younger guys. I wish I would've looked at it years ago instead of jumping programs. The only reason we switched is because SS was too teacher intensive for me--they only got spelling if I had time to give the test that day. With R&S they can work on lessons without me.

I'm test driving some of these word study ideas. Video by this same teacher.

I'm using McGuffey's Eclectic Readers as our main reading books, and the McGuffey's Word List set me off on a whole new path of word study instruction instead of "spelling".

I'm using CGE for English and it teaches dictionary respellings in grades 2 and 3. I'm using the respellings with this Three Column Spelling idea. And word sorts sorted by sound usually rely on pictures, but once the student has mastered respelllings, the respellings can be substituted for pictures.

I fold my handwriting paper in half and then write the respellings in one column and the word in cursive in the other column. I skip the top line and write the words on every 3rd line. Then I cut the margins off the paper. Then I cut strips every 3rd line, so that the 2 words are on the middle line of the strip, with one blank line above and below. I fold the strips in half on the fold line, so the respelling is on one side and the cursive word on the other. I tape each strip closed into a mini flashcard. Now I can use the cards in word sorts, for spelling tests, handwriting practice, and sentence compositions.

Word study lists are a combination of McGuffey's, CGE, Ayres', and misspelled words.

For Phonogram flashcards, I'm experimenting with the Phonics Made Plain cards and poster keyed to ABCs and All Their Tricks, from Mott Media.

This is all new, but I'm excited about it, and it seems to be coming together swimmingly.

Edited by Hunter

For information on Word Sorts and what to do with them

Word Journeys

Words Their Way

Making Spelling Words Stick is still on sale for $1.00.

Scholastic also has a book of word sorts. They have been helpful. There are also the Daily Word Ladders books. I would not use word sorts and ladders exclusively, but they are good practice that is kind of fun.

I'm liking Apples and Pears so far. I'm using it with my 5th grade son. We started in Book B, and a lot of it was easy for him, but I wanted him to really get used to the building blocks of words. I am seeing improvement in his every day writing, but it has been slow going.

I also keep track of words his misspells in his writing, and put each one on an index card. We study those words separately, almost like a weekly spelling list.

How do they do during dictation?

When we get misspellings in other writing I remind them of the spelling strategies, rules and phonograms. Would that help? Sounds like you have been going at an aggressive pace, as I have. The pace works since they are strong spellers. I would probably slow it down and do more review beforemid say it is the curriculum that is the problem.

Do the words they misspell in other subjects conform to the rules and phonograms taught so far in AAS? If not, maybe they just haven't progressed far enough in the program. I imaging a 9 and 11 year old would use lots of words that haven't been covered by level 2 or 3 of AAS.

If they misspell words that you have covered, can they make the correction when you remind them of the rule or phonogram, without actually telling them how the word is spelled? If so, maybe they need more practice. I like sentence dictation for spelling practice. Sentence dictation is a nice bridge between spelling a single word at a time and spelling when doing original writing.

I second Sequential Spelling {or third & fourth it too..}

It is written specifically for those who struggle with dyslexia. While we loved our former spelling programme & I saw great improvement for my struggler within his lessons & on his tests NONE OF IT transferred outside of there. It was frustrating for both of us. I learned, quite by accident, about SS & made the switch. He grumbled at first as we started with lesson one level one, it's not a graded curriculum & I felt starting at the start was best & moving slowly through it wisest.

But, after a couple of weeks he stopped complaining, relinquished the old book, & has started spelling words correctly outside of spelling/school time. While typing to a penpal this week he could tell words were wrong even if they weren't from lessons & he didn't know why/how. More importantly, he did well with the words he's learned thus far. I loved it.

I just did an end of the year evaluation that hive member Merry posted yesterday and both my kids said they were struggling in spelling and not liking it much. We start AAS last August with my dd (11 yo now) and she is in the beginning of book 4 currently. I started it a couple months ago with my 9 yo and he is in Level 2. My dd doesn't like the tiles so we don't use them much but my ds seems to enjoy them.

The biggest trouble I am having is getting spelling to transfer to their other subjects. They spell correctly in spelling but misspell in all their other subjects. They know all the rules (blue cards) and seem to know all the word banks and cards when we do spelling.

So, what else is there that is good for dyslexic and struggling spellers?

TIA,

Jen

I hope you can either find a way to adapt AAS or find something else that will be more to their liking. One thing you might do is try to evaluate why they didn't like it, to see if it could be adapted.

1 year to do 3 levels and start the 4th might be a fast pace, so you might consider whether you have done enough review. Students with dyslexia do tend to need lots and lots of review (more than I imagined initially) to really retain things.

Here's a blog article I did on helping them to use their spelling skills in their writing. It does incorporate ideas with AAS, but even if you decide to continue with something else, you may still find some of the ideas helpful. Writing involves so much more than just spelling that it's very difficult for some students to put all of the skills together, and it can take some time and some direct instruction on how to do that--it doesn't just come naturally.

I hope you hit on some good solutions for you and your kids! Merry :-)

Not to hijack, but can you post a link to this "end of year eval" you mentioned in your first post? I couldn't find it...

Thanks! :-)

This is from hive member Merry: http://www.hopeforhomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/06/writers-of-this-book-dont-want-kids-to.html

I just printed out the questions with room to write and, wow, did I find out a lot I wasn't expecting!