Menu

Trail Guide World Geography

mrs.m

If you used Trail Guide World Geography, what additional resources did you use with it? Do you like Uncle Josh's Outline Map CD Rom? Is there a better resource?

Here's what they suggest:

4. What other resources do I need to use this book?

• Required Resources
    • Outline Maps - for mapping assignments (We recommend Uncle Josh's Outline Map Book or CD ROM)
    • World Atlas - for mapping assignments and daily geography drills
    • Primary level (3rd- 4th grade) - Jr. Classroom Atlas
    • Intermediate level (5th - 7th grade) - Classroom Atlas
    • Secondary level (8th grade - high school) - Atlas of World Geography

Additional helpful resources

• Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne - used during the last 9 weeks of the year for literature unit. Students will travel the world with the key characters of this classic mapping the trail and choosing from a variety of additional assignments. You may be able to obtain this book from the library.
    • Geography Through Art by Sharon and Rich Jeffus and Jamie Aramini - used for all art projects. Categorized by continent and listed in the Trail Guide, which project to do when appropriate to where your study has taken you.
    • Geography Terms Chart - great visual aid for understanding geography's physical terms. Used as a resource for weekly Illustrated Geography Dictionary assignments.
    • USA/World Double-Sided Map - recommended for 2nd or third graders doing the primary level.
    • The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide by Maggie Hogan and Cindy Wiggers - a great reference resource for weekly Points of Interest assignments. Referenced in Trail Guide by page number for your convenience.

We use the following:

Eat Your Way Around the World

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/eat-your-way-around-the-world

Geography Through Art

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/geography-through-art

Trail Guide Student Notebook Pages (for maps)

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/product/world-trail-guide-student-notebook

Plus a good student atlas.

Geography Matters carries everything:

http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/category/world-geography

My ds10 LOVES geography.

Holly

I had to buy a lot of resources for this program and the kids didn't like it much or retain it very well. I do like Uncle Josh's, I think they are great. I would recommend the free Globalmania by KnowledgeQuest.com. My kids are learning a lot more and having a lot more fun!

:bigear:

Could this be done in one day a week for a 2nd grader and a 4th grader? I have a friend's child coming one day a week next year to do history projects, science experiments, and a health curriculum. I'm thinking of doing geography, but only on that day. We won't be doing any grammar, math, etc., during that day of the week.

I would recommend the free Globalmania by KnowledgeQuest.com. My kids are learning a lot more and having a lot more fun!

I looked at that briefly to consider it. Free is always good! :D Does it go into geography vocabulary? We are lacking in that area but not so much in mapping and location identification skills thanks to CC and map drawing.

Even then I'm still not convinced Trail Guide will meet our needs...

I looked at that briefly to consider it. Free is always good! :D Does it go into geography vocabulary? We are lacking in that area but not so much in mapping and location identification skills thanks to CC and map drawing.

Even then I'm still not convinced Trail Guide will meet our needs...

Then I think Trail Guide would work well for you. I would actually get Uncle Josh's and The Ultimate Geography book. TUG has great geography vocab. We actually got the primary and intermediate Rand McNally atlases to use because many of the questions depend on that (like what is the major export of some country and the answer would be right there on the page next to the question), but I wouldn't do that again because they are so expensive now.

mom32157, we did it all in one day. We did the mapping, then I asked them the questions, then we did the vocab. We skipped everything else. If I were to do it over again, I would add Globalmania or just seterra.net for the other days of the week so they could really learn where things were.

We used the CD-ROM notebook pages for Trail Guide. IMHO this actually includes much of what you want to get from other resources listed. I loved the make your own pictorial geography dictionary.

We have a good world atlas (not a kids or junior).

I also have US and World maps from National Geographic to hang on the wall. Here is the World version as an example.

I would have used the Uncle Josh CD (which is great) but all the maps are included in the notebook CD.

Also-a good set of colored pencils is very helpful for labeling blank maps.

The geography terms chart is nice but not mandatory.

We used the CD-ROM notebook pages for Trail Guide. IMHO this actually includes much of what you want to get from other resources listed. I loved the make your own pictorial geography dictionary.

We have a good world atlas (not a kids or junior).

I also have US and World maps from National Geographic to hang on the wall. Here is the World version as an example.

I would have used the Uncle Josh CD (which is great) but all the maps are included in the notebook CD.

Also-a good set of colored pencils is very helpful for labeling blank maps.

The geography terms chart is nice but not mandatory.

The Notebook CD sounds much better than what I did. They must not have had that the year I got it.