Menu

Old Kingfisher history vs. new

moskitoe

As I am making my list for school next year, I have been trying to settle on a history spine. I am interested in hearing any opinions on the usborne history encyclopedias and the kingfishers. If you have a "The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World: 40,000 B.C. to Present Day" (which is the old one) could you tell me how it compares to the newer red kingfisher history encyclopedia? Are there significant differences between them? I have never browsed through any of these as my public library does not carry them or they are in reference at a far off location. I have not had luck locating these at Barnes and Noble either. I am hoping someone can save me the trouble of having to order and return books I do not want. Thank you.

Carolina

I have both kingfishers. The older one is much easier to look at and read. I found it on amazon for $30 last year. Two used book dealers had it at convention this year. I did not look at the price, but there are at least many places to find it.

I have both kingfishers. The older one is much easier to look at and read. I found it on amazon for $30 last year. Two used book dealers had it at convention this year. I did not look at the price, but there are at least many places to find it.

I agree. I have both the white and red and the white is easier to read. I found my white copy on amazon for $20

If you act quickly you could get this one on Amazon at $28.92. I have a copy that I got a couple of years ago for the outrageous price of $7.00. There was a surge in the market of available copies from Great Britain and so I grabbed it. I've never compared it to the newer edition, but from what I've read on these boards the older version was by far the better one.

Blessings,

Lucinda

White is far better than red. It is by far the best book I found with which to teach outlining. I used it in the grammar stage for its pictures, and early logic for outlining. The red one is far too sparse to be very useful. I have both, and am glad that I did not just settle for the red one.

For a while the white one was selling for several hundred dollars, but now it can often be found for less than that often $50 or less. Honestly, though, considering how long I used it, I don't mind that I paid $110 for mine. It's been worth every penny.

If you can wait, the white Kingfisher edition can be had reasonably. Anytime it is mentioned here on the boards the price at Amazon will spike, but if you can wait a few months and stalk it a bit you can snag it when the price lowers. (Last November I picked up a copy listed like-new for $20.)

• 2 months later...
If you can wait, the white Kingfisher edition can be had reasonably. Anytime it is mentioned here on the boards the price at Amazon will spike, but if you can wait a few months and stalk it a bit you can snag it when the price lowers. (Last November I picked up a copy listed like-new for $20.)

Slightly OT, but http://camelcamelcamel.com/ will stalk Amazon for you. I use the site quite a bit for things I don't need right away.