Menu

I finished Eat, Pray, Love....

Oh, it was so good!

It made me seriously consider the whole subject of devotion. I am rolling that around in my brain now. I am not devoted. My prayers are usually something to the effect of "God, can you fix this for me?" and "God, thanks for fixing that." Come to think of it, I do sort of treat God like George the Handyman. I don't mean to, but I do.

What if I were to devote myself to really communing with God? How would I be changed?

It was just a really, really good book.

A friend loaned me this book, but I'm having trouble getting through the first part. Does it get better, or is it just more of the same?

I think what I don't like is the author just comes off as self centered. Maybe I'm missing the point.

Oh, it was so good!

It made me seriously consider the whole subject of devotion. I am rolling that around in my brain now. I am not devoted. My prayers are usually something to the effect of "God, can you fix this for me?" and "God, thanks for fixing that." Come to think of it, I do sort of treat God like George the Handyman. I don't mean to, but I do.

What if I were to devote myself to really communing with God? How would I be changed?

It was just a really, really good book.

What a priviledge she had/took to experience that year. I disagree with much of her theology, but I absolutely applaud her pursuit of her beliefs. I found myself awed by her devotion.

I loved the juxaposition of extravagant life in Italy with the austere life of an Indian commune since I been to both countries.

I would love to do a modified version of this...a week of each, maybe? Perhaps a month of emphasis as I pursue my regular life? After all, I don't have a book deal or an aunt and uncle to support me, but focus is the key, don't you think?

Being more mindful. I could use a lot more of that.

A friend loaned me this book, but I'm having trouble getting through the first part. Does it get better, or is it just more of the same?

I think what I don't like is the author just comes off as self centered. Maybe I'm missing the point.

I had a hard time with the beginning as well. She is self-centered and downright whiney. It and she gets better, for the most part.

Maybe missing the point a bit. I can see how you might think that. However, I saw it as really brave to follow your heart to wherever you felt it might lead you. Going somewhere like that for me would be nuts. I felt like she needed to nourish her body first, then her soul, then her heart. For me that was how I saw her process. She realized a lot about herself in that journey. And I think she realized that her life before was more selfish. But I didn't see her journey as self-centered in a negative way. It seemed like she was focusing on herself in order to become a better person. Someone that was happier and more in touch with God. At least that's what I got from reading it.

Wasn't it? I felt very similarly. Wouldn't it be so amazing to figure out how to go that route yourself? I mean, inside, spiritually. It really spoke to me in that way. I am glad you enjoyed it!

I seriously contemplated looking for Christian retreat centers like that Ashram. Then I smacked myself in the head and thought "yeah, right, I can just leave my kids for a couple of months"

But can you imagine setting a couple of months aside without distractions just to draw closer to God? Wow.

I seriously contemplated looking for Christian retreat centers like that Ashram. Then I smacked myself in the head and thought "yeah, right, I can just leave my kids for a couple of months"

But can you imagine setting a couple of months aside without distractions just to draw closer to God? Wow.

I would love to do that as long as I could knit too.;) My hands need to keep on knitting! Maybe I can start with a weekend retreat for my next birthday (it's one I can't believe I am nearing already). Want to come with?:D

To go somewhere that was so peaceful and loving in order to center yourself and draw closer to God would be amazing.

I would love to do that as long as I could knit too.;) My hands need to keep on knitting! Maybe I can start with a weekend retreat for my next birthday (it's one I can't believe I am nearing already). Want to come with?:D

To go somewhere that was so peaceful and loving in order to center yourself and draw closer to God would be amazing.

Okay, I really tried to find one and could not. I could find retreat centers that had things like cropping weekends. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But to just find one that is about communing with God without interruption? No matter how I put it in the search engine I am coming up with nothing.

Okay, I really tried to find one and could not. I could find retreat centers that had things like cropping weekends. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But to just find one that is about communing with God without interruption? No matter how I put it in the search engine I am coming up with nothing.

There is a place in KY that I know of near Bardstown. It is a monastery, I think. They have silent retreat possibilities, I think. Hmm, I will try to remember what the name of it is.

Found it! It is Gethsemani!

http://www.monks.org/reservations.html

There is a place in KY that I know of near Bardstown. It is a monastery, I think. They have silent retreat possibilities, I think. Hmm, I will try to remember what the name of it is.

Found it! It is Gethsemani!

http://www.monks.org/reservations.html

Oh, meet you there?

Wait, can you imagine the two of us getting to meet for the first time and having to be silent? I don't think that would work at all.:001_huh:

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'd like to read that, have you read Practicing the Presence of God, that book encouraged me a lot? We have been talking about what "worshiping in spirit" means in our Bible class, but it has not been very enlightening or satisfactory, IMO. The minister spends a lot of time talking about how we should "feel." It is so subjective that it is leaving me feeling cold instead of the opposite.

I think it would be wonderful to rent (or borrow) a rustic lake cabin and be totally alone. I don't think you even need a retreat center, but just some place to be totally alone with no distractions. It could even be a hotel room (if you could be disciplined enough to not turn on the TV! :001_smile:).

I think it would be wonderful to rent (or borrow) a rustic lake cabin and be totally alone. I don't think you even need a retreat center, but just some place to be totally alone with no distractions. It could even be a hotel room (if you could be disciplined enough to not turn on the TV! :001_smile:).

True. The nice thing about a retreat center would be that basic necessities are taken care of for you. Like meals. The less you have to distract you, the more you can focus on what you came there to focus on, you know.

I didn't get that from her book at all. Not in the negative sense, anyhow. Plainly, she was self absorbed, but if one is going to strip away every earthly attachment (eventually), what have you left but your self and your God? I guess I saw her focus on self as part of the process toward her enlightenment and not self-centered in the sense that most of us think of that term.

I also think it's likely (though you may not be in this position) for mothers of young children to feel especially put off by her attitudes because they are in the season of total self sacrifice for their families. It's hard to imagine the level of personal attention Liz Gilbert is allowing herself, and it comes off as seeming wrong. In my mind, it's not wrong, it's necessary. Moreso for some than others.

I'm having trouble getting through the first part. Does it get better, or is it just more of the same?

I checked it out of the library and had the same thought, and couldn't get past the second chapter.....I was really disappointed since the back of the book made it sound so good. After reading the posts here, I still think I'd like the book - I'll have to check it out again and give it another go.

Along the lines of this kind of thing, (and I"m going to put Practicing the Presence of God on my list...I've wanted to read that for awhile too) is the book by Richard Foster on Spiritual Disciplines.....that is a really good book and really neat to see how people for the last couple of thousand years have really been able to draw close to God - sometimes in a retreat form, but also in daily life. I'm not Catholic, but I came away with a great respect for the saints, and how there is much much good to learn from them b/c they were such godly people.

I checked it out of the library and had the same thought, and couldn't get past the second chapter.....I was really disappointed since the back of the book made it sound so good. After reading the posts here, I still think I'd like the book - I'll have to check it out again and give it another go.

Along the lines of this kind of thing, (and I"m going to put Practicing the Presence of God on my list...I've wanted to read that for awhile too) is the book by Richard Foster on Spiritual Disciplines.....that is a really good book and really neat to see how people for the last couple of thousand years have really been able to draw close to God - sometimes in a retreat form, but also in daily life. I'm not Catholic, but I came away with a great respect for the saints, and how there is much much good to learn from them b/c they were such godly people.

My cell group (well, former cell group -- it fell apart) at church did the Foster study. It was interesting. I didn't always agree with his generalizations, but overall, it was very enlightening.

I liked the realness of Eat, Pray, Love. Doran said it much better than could about what it seemed like to her. But I will be reading it again and again.

Maybe missing the point a bit. I can see how you might think that. However, I saw it as really brave to follow your heart to wherever you felt it might lead you. Going somewhere like that for me would be nuts. I felt like she needed to nourish her body first, then her soul, then her heart. For me that was how I saw her process. She realized a lot about herself in that journey. And I think she realized that her life before was more selfish. But I didn't see her journey as self-centered in a negative way. It seemed like she was focusing on herself in order to become a better person. Someone that was happier and more in touch with God. At least that's what I got from reading it.

Thanks for the info- that makes sense. I've only read about 1/3 of the Italy part, so she's probably still in the "before" phase of the story. I think I'll give it another try.

I'd like to read that, have you read Practicing the Presence of God, that book encouraged me a lot? We have been talking about what "worshiping in spirit" means in our Bible class, but it has not been very enlightening or satisfactory, IMO. The minister spends a lot of time talking about how we should "feel." It is so subjective that it is leaving me feeling cold instead of the opposite.

I read Eat, Pray, Love in January. I absolutely loved it! I followed it with Practicing the Presence of God. These two books were a great combination. I'm glad that I read them together. They said the same things, just from different worldviews.

As far as Gilbert being self-absorbed, well, the book is about her. Her self-absorption is the reason why the book was written. She needed to be self-absorbed for her spiritual jouney to make as much impact on her as it did.

I have said this before on other threads about this book, EPL changed my spiritual life. I am able to meditate now and have more of a relationship with God that I wasn't able to experience before. I should also say that there were many things going on at the same time right before I read this book. I think the timing of when I read it has more to do with why it was so powerful for me. If I had read it two years ago when my life was relatively crisis-free, I don't think it would have made such a statement with me.