Menu

Another question - female in nature...

What does an ovarian cyst feel like? I have been having this pain in my right side off and on for about six months. It has been hurting (not badly, but enough to notice) for the last two days. Is this a cyst? How long do they usually last before going away?

I have never had this type of pain before, and it doesn't interfere with my day. So I am really just asking for information!

TIA

I've gotten ovarian cysts regularly for the past 5 years. Mine hurt near the ovary and also usually cause some lower back pain. I don't know at what size I really start feeling the pain but when I have gotten them checked by the dr, they have been 4-5 cm. They have always gone away on their own. They bother me most when exercising and when I go to bed.

That said, you should get it checked out. Even with my history, the dr wants me to come in every 6 months or whenever it feels different or more painful. The last time it was actually leaking fluid into my abdomen and she gave me some pain meds for it. If it's not a cyst, you need to know that too. Besides palpitating the area, they will probably do an internal ultrasound.

I get small cysts that come and go. But I needed to have them checked out to make sure of it. When they rupture, they really hurt. I get them around ovulation time. The pain lasts for a few days or so. It doesn't happen every month. But sometimes it can be very painful. I would also recommend getting it checked out. You want to make sure that you know what it is so you can deal with it accordingly. Good luck. I know they are painful!

I get small cysts that come and go. But I needed to have them checked out to make sure of it. When they rupture, they really hurt. I get them around ovulation time. The pain lasts for a few days or so. It doesn't happen every month. But sometimes it can be very painful. I would also recommend getting it checked out. You want to make sure that you know what it is so you can deal with it accordingly. Good luck. I know they are painful!

:iagree: Exactly! I would definitely get them looked at. They found mine on an ultrasound for an ablasion that I chickened out of doing. (the ultrasound was fairly costly, but worth the peace of mind). I've had the pain regularly during ovulation for years. I can tell when they rupture and recognize the symptoms. You really need to know if it actually is a cyst you are dealing with, and what kind of cyst it is. There are other things that could cause discomfort like that. Are you experiencing any unusual discharge along with your pain?

I, too, avoid the dr like the plague (card carrying pharmaphobe here - genuinely), but I'm glad they verified what I thought was the prob.