Menu

Gardeners-If I plant something that should spread (like impatiens)

in little holes cut in the black plastic that you put under mulch (to keep weeds down), will it still be able to spread, or should I cut the space that I cut in the plastic bigger to allow for spreading, or what?

I'm a novice at this! I'm planting impatiens and coleus in this area, and I want it to be able to get nice and big in mounds like it usually does, but wondering if it needs more bare soil area around it to spread, or if it will just spread over the plastic and mulch or what?

Thanks! Oh, and also, this area gets about 2 hours of direct sun per day from about 3-5 p.m.-will the impatiens and coleus (shade plants) be ok there? I'm asking because I need to baby these plants-we are TIGHT on funds so I bought these because they were cheaper and I think they'll spread. And I can't have them die because we can't buy any more! As it is, we have to wait prbly a month to even get the money to buy the mulch to put over the black plastic.:glare:

Happy Gardening!

Impatiens "spread" by creating a big mound from the original plant. They don't send off new plants or shoots like some perennials do. You will want the hole to be big enough to allow for a clump of stems to attach in the center and thicken the original plant.

I think the main issue for impatiens being planted through plastic is water (are you using actual landscaping fabric that lets water through?). Water is also the issue regarding the two hours of direct sun. In Ohio, impatiens will tolerate the sun if they stay moist. They will get bigger, but not as big as if they had shade with some diffuse light. I would guess that impatiens would not tolerate the sun in more southern states.

Have you bought the plastic already? If not, please do not do so. It is awful. It is not at all helpful, as weeds are highly adaptable and can grow in the slightest bit of soil/mulch on top, plus they have hardy root systems and can grow through any landscape plastic/fabric. You will still have to weed, but every time you pull up the plant, you will rip at the plastic. It also doesn't let enough water down to the plants and can suffocate the roots. In my gardening climate (deep south) it also breaks down/apart within one growing season and creates an environmental nightmare.

If you can't afford to buy mulch to cover the plastic for a month, you really can't put down the plastic. It will cook your plants.

I don't know where you are located, but in my region two hours of hot afternoon sun would fry shade plants very quickly. There are sun coleus on the market and they do well in a mixed sun environment.

Impatiens like a shade, so don't put them in the direct sun. Coleus will just grow big they don't spread. Most annually don't actually spread. You can buy landscaping fabric at Lowe or Home Depot that you can put down and cut holes in, but it doesn't do everything. And you'll probably want to put mulch over it too.

Many communities have free mulch piles overseen by the public works dept. Also, many tree cutting companies cut back and trim healthy trees which then get shredded; often these companies will deliver free mulch. This kind of mulch is not as decorative as bagged mulch, but it does the job. Also, this fall you could collect bags if leaves and let them decompose over the winter. Next year you would have free mulch on site (if you live in an area with pronounced fall leaf drop).

If you already have the Plants in that location, I'd place a couple of outdoor chairs or tables over them to shade them during the middle of the day until they get established.

What zone do you live in? Here in zone 5 coleus and inpatients can tolerate some afternoon sun if kept watered. Your zone will also determine if these are annuals (mist places in the US they would be annuals). They do persist longer in So. Cal. though.

Coral bells might be a good choice there and they are perennial (will come back from the roots each year).

This is why I'm so afraid to garden-there is so much to it! It is landscape paper-you can kind of see thru it. It is already down, but I won't buy it again, based on what Suzanne said. I will use other things that other posters have suggested next time (thanks!)

cut X's in your hole -that way the root mound can spread. stager the plants with an "odd" row stager like running bond as opposed to stacked bond so you get better coverage.

are you using plastic that is impervious to water? or weed fabric that claims to not be impervious but blocks more water than they'll admit?

do you have a watering system that will also be below the cover you are using? (my other experience with weed fabric - the seed that fall ontop of the fabric just sprout their roots through the fabric.)