Menu

Do you have a good iced coffee recipe?

Or method, actually. Do I just brew the coffee as I usually would, pour it over ice and add cream? Is it just that simple?

I'm wilting. The weather is lovely, but I don't have the energy to go out and enjoy it today. I need a little boost.

I make an iced expresso that is pretty good. I used a 12 oz glass, filled 1/2 way with ice, poured milk about 3/4. I made my expresso (2-4 oz), put my flavoring (Davinci sugar free, 1 oz) in the milk, poured expresso over the top, then used the Starbucks caramel topping. Mmmm!!!

I make an iced expresso that is pretty good. I used a 12 oz glass, filled 1/2 way with ice, poured milk about 3/4. I made my expresso (2 oz), put my flavoring (Davinci sugar free) in the milk, poured expresso over the top, then used the Starbucks caramel topping. Mmmm!!!

Ahhh. I wonder if the key is espresso instead of brewed coffee.

That sounds yummy, Penny.

Or method, actually. Do I just brew the coffee as I usually would, pour it over ice and add cream? Is it just that simple?

I first "met" iced coffee back when I went to Tulane ~ no such thing even existed in this neck of the woods back then! I never have come up with a splendiforous way of making it myself, but I'm not too picky. I just pour milk over ice and add coffee that I've already sweetened with a bit of Rapadura sugar. Does the trick for me.

I know what you mean about wilting today. I had grand plans of cleaning the mud room (which living on a farm, is not a pretty place!). Instead, I keep sitting down and just...staying down.;) It's the humidity. How did I do it back in N.O.? I guess it was the iced coffee ~ among other things.:D

(Btw, Crissy, did you scan those pages? No hurry! Just asking b/c nothing's come through on my end. Thanks!:))

ETA: Just read your reply to Penny. Yeah, I do think espresso makes a difference. I use strong coffee brewed in a French press and that's a good alternative. Do you have a French press?

I just pour milk over ice and add coffee that I've already sweetened with a bit of Rapadura sugar. Does the trick for me.

(Btw, Crissy, did you scan those pages? No hurry! Just asking b/c nothing's come through on my end. Thanks!:))

Since I don't have an espresso maker, I'm going to give this a try. There's a lot of evening ahead of me, and I can't seem to make myself get out of this chair.

Oh, yes! I did scan those pages. Let me look up the folder now and I'll email them to you (more reason to stay right here in my chair. ;))

Better than espresso and far better than French Press (which I use for "hot" coffee), is to use the cold water method to make a coffee concentrate.

Essentially the method is to take a full pound of coarsely ground high-quality beans, soak them in water (I use the remaining portion of a glass half-gallon milk bottle). Steep 12 hrs. Strain/filter.

Makes a very low acid concentrate one can use to make "hot" coffee, by adding hot water to a little concentrate in a glass, but the best way to use the concentrate IMO is for Iced-coffees. This is what the pros do.

The concentrate must be refrigerated after it's made, but lasts a good number of days.

Bill

... called a Toddy. http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/?gclid=CKHQ0qqwnZQCFQpjnAodbAuEhg

This method cold brews the coffee, and leaves you with a coffee concentrate. You keep it in the fridge, or freeze it into ice cubes. You can mix the concentrate with hot water or milk for hot coffee, or with cold for cold coffee, and add ice. I love it.

Yep, this is the same method. I'm just too....uh, cheap, to purchase the "toddy" do-dads for $37 when I have bottles and fine mesh strainers (and if need be filters). But this method does make the most superior Iced-coffees.

Bill

ETA: Just read your reply to Penny. Yeah, I do think espresso makes a difference. I use strong coffee brewed in a French press and that's a good alternative. Do you have a French press?

Nope. I broke it. Whacked it against the edge of the countertop and I haven't purchased a new one yet.

Better than espresso and far better than French Press (which I use for "hot" coffee), is to use the cold water method to make a coffee concentrate.

Essentially the method is to take a full pound of coarsely ground high-quality beans, soak them in water (I use the remaining portion of a glass half-gallon milk bottle). Steep 12 hrs. Strain/filter.

Makes a very low acid concentrate one can use to make "hot" coffee, by adding hot water to a little concentrate in a glass, but the best way to use the concentrate IMO is for Iced-coffees. This is what the pros do.

The concentrate must be refrigerated after it's made, but lasts a good number of days.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. It had never occured to me that one could 'cold-brew' coffee.

I think I'll gather up the supplies and start a batch tonight.

Iced coffees all around tomorrow!

... called a Toddy. http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/?gclid=CKHQ0qqwnZQCFQpjnAodbAuEhg

This method cold brews the coffee, and leaves you with a coffee concentrate. You keep it in the fridge, or freeze it into ice cubes. You can mix the concentrate with hot water or milk for hot coffee, or with cold for cold coffee, and add ice. I love it.

This whole idea is so interesting to me!

And little frozen cubes of coffee concentrate? Incredible! I'll never sleep again!

Thanks, Bill. It had never occured to me that one could 'cold-brew' coffee.

I think I'll gather up the supplies and start a batch tonight.

Iced coffees all around tomorrow!

Great! Love to hear what you think.

Tip: grind the beans coarsely. They will settle and straining is not difficult. i think you will find it interesting how "different" cold water method coffee vs standard methods.

You might want to make at least one "hot" cup from your concentrate just to see how different it is. Day in and day out I prefer the French press for hot coffee, but the cold water concentrate makes a very "clean" and refined drink that is interesting in its own way.

Good luck!

Bill

This is just as good -- if not better -- than the Mocha Swirl Iced Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.

Make 4 cups of coffee with enough grinds for 6 cups (water for 4)

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup milk or half & half

chocolate syrup

whipped cream

ice

Crush some ice (you can use the frozen coffee ice cubes -- that would be great). Whip the sw. cond. milk & half & half together; Blend w/the coffee. Put ice cubes in glass, drizzle w/chocolate syrup. Pour coffee over all. Top w/whipped cream & another drizzle of chocolate syrup.

YUUMMMMMMMM........

This is just as good -- if not better -- than the Mocha Swirl Iced Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.

Make 4 cups of coffee with enough grinds for 6 cups (water for 4)

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup milk or half & half

chocolate syrup

whipped cream

ice

Crush some ice (you can use the frozen coffee ice cubes -- that would be great). Whip the sw. cond. milk & half & half together; Blend w/the coffee. Put ice cubes in glass, drizzle w/chocolate syrup. Pour coffee over all. Top w/whipped cream & another drizzle of chocolate syrup.

YUUMMMMMMMM........

Wow. Wow. Where do you live in Jersey? We are coming over for iced coffee! Yummy! :D

Oh, Mama Lynx, I think I love you! I haven't used my toddy in many, many years, but I will be pulling it out again, thanks to you. It never occurred to me to freeze it into ice cubes! What a terrific idea!

Yep, this is the same method. I'm just too....uh, cheap, to purchase the "toddy" do-dads for $37 when I have bottles and fine mesh strainers (and if need be filters). But this method does make the most superior Iced-coffees.

Bill

Ah, but mine was free, the gift of a most wonderful, thoughtful friend :)

This whole idea is so interesting to me!

And little frozen cubes of coffee concentrate? Incredible! I'll never sleep again!

I have to admit - I'm supposed to be cutting down on the coffee, but having the concentrate in my fridge makes it far too easy to just grab a cup ... :)

Oh, Mama Lynx, I think I love you! I haven't used my toddy in many, many years, but I will be pulling it out again, thanks to you. It never occurred to me to freeze it into ice cubes! What a terrific idea!

That way you don't have to dilute your coffee with that silly non-caffeinated water. :lol:

That way you don't have to dilute your coffee with that silly non-caffeinated water. :lol:

I know, right? And one additional benefit is your drink stays nice and colorful. Not all filled with clear swirly non-caffeinated useless stuff! And good to the last drop! In fact, that might be ice I would consider eating. :D

Nobody has mentioned those creamer things! I get the sugar free ones in the grocery store (diabetic), wish they had the fat free in sugar free, and they are scrumptious! Also, Starbucks sells their syrups for about the cost of two drinks--so well worth it.

Question about the French Press--I lived in France 18 years ago and all I could find (that I could afford--college student) was what I guess is a French Press--and I hated the coffee--always got grounds, and it tasted so coarse and nasty. Is that the same thing? Should I assume it was just the French coffee, which I am sure is not nearly as refined as here?

Nobody has mentioned those creamer things! I get the sugar free ones in the grocery store (diabetic), wish they had the fat free in sugar free, and they are scrumptious! Also, Starbucks sells their syrups for about the cost of two drinks--so well worth it.

Question about the French Press--I lived in France 18 years ago and all I could find (that I could afford--college student) was what I guess is a French Press--and I hated the coffee--always got grounds, and it tasted so coarse and nasty. Is that the same thing? Should I assume it was just the French coffee, which I am sure is not nearly as refined as here?

It probably was the french press. I have one and there is always a few grains of coffee at the bottom. I am picky about my coffee so I use a pour over coffee maker. http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-Cup-Coffee-Maker-CM/dp/B000I1WP7W

Mines kind of like this but mine is better. Its pours straight into a thermal pot so it dont get cold right away. Oh and the cold coffee mix is the way to go for iced coffee although I like the espresso method too.

What's the proportion of coffee concentrate to water for iced coffee? Our local café uses cold-brewed concentrate, and it's excellent!

2 oz of concentrate to 6 oz of water or milk, is that the Toddy people recommend.

This morning? I'm thinking maybe the reverse ratio ...

This is the best thread I have ever read. I am crying tears of joy!

Cold brewing? Coffee ice cubes?

I love you guys!

Everyone, quick, add your rating of excellent to this thread.

Sleep is overrated anyway. We can just live on this stuff!

Done!

One more little note: dd likes to drink these with me -- at night. So I just use decaf (Dunkin' Decaf to be specific). It's still amazingly good.

~off to put coffee in the ice trays :D

2 oz of concentrate to 6 oz of water or milk, is that the Toddy people recommend.

This morning? I'm thinking maybe the reverse ratio ...

I hear you! Today is dd's 7th birthday, and man, was she up early!

Thanks for the proportion. The café uses this nifty measuring bottle gizmo, but that seemed more complicated than I could handle before coffee. :D

Here is the recipe I got from Barney's, way back when THEY were the coffee shop you would find in the malls.

Coffee Cooler

14 oz concentrate (I really loved their raspberry coffee for this)

Pour into 2 ½ qt pitcher

Fill rest of way with milk.

7 sweet n low

1 tbs vanilla

Mix it up and enjoy!

I haven't made this in forever. Nowadays I would probably try sugar instead of sweet n low. Yum yum!

I hear you! Today is dd's 7th birthday, and man, was she up early!

Thanks for the proportion. The café uses this nifty measuring bottle gizmo, but that seemed more complicated than I could handle before coffee. :D

Drew, one nice thing about the cold water method is the concentrate is so "mellow" that you can really up the ratio without it tasting super-strong.

The downside is one's daily dose (and coffee consumption) can quickly spiral upward.

Bill (who could use one more cup this morning)