Menu

Visiting San Antonio

Our kids want to visit Texas this summer and we think we've settled on San Antonio. So for folks who live in the area or who have visited, what are some fun things to do with a 17 and 19 year old?

We need food recommendations, too. What are the regional foods?

We live west of Chicago and are from Atlanta so Texas is a whole new adventure.

The Riverwalk is awesome! There is a lot of stuff around there. There is no free parking around there, which is not normal for us, but maybe you are used to it since you live in a city. Ripley's Believe It or Not is fun for older kids. sea World is fun, but I do not know how older teens would react to it. Fiesta Texas is fun for older teens, and if you buy tickets online it is much cheaper. Of course the Alamo is a good history stop.

There is a yummy Mexican food place there that we love, but I cannot remember the name of it. It is the one that everyone says you must eat at if you go there, so maybe someone else will chime in. Barbecue is big in Rexas, but unless you plan to drive up to Lockhart it is not great.

Fiesta Texas is a fun theme park as is Sea World. San Antonio has a nice zoo.

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/ The Riverwalk, of course. The Alamo is downtown, so you could do the Riverwalk and the Alamo on the same day.

You can see the Missions http://www.riverwalkguide.com/san-antonio-missions/

If you want to drive about an hour, Fredericksburg is a very neat small town with a German flavor.

http://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/

New Braunfels is about 40 minutes away and is strongly German.

Many people that visit San Antonio drive to Kerrville or New Braunfels and spend the day tubing the rivers.

Really, there is just tons to do, it all depends on what you like.

For food, try La Fogata for tex-mex and Rudy's for BBQ.

Well, if you're in Texas, you have to eat at Whataburger. I like the Justaburgers or Whatachickens, myself, but my older brother dreamed of Whataburgers when he lived in Maine.

Don't have any teens yet, but my tween loves the Ripley's Wax Museum and also the Believe It or Not, both right across the street from the Alamo.

SeaWorld is a must-see. The Shamu show alone is worth the exorbitant price of admission.

We love Rudy's Barbecue (get the lean brisket -- delightful). San Antonio has a couple, and out toward the suburb of Leon Springs, which is not far from Fiesta Texas (a Six Flags Amusement Park).

Oh, and for breakfast, go to any hole-in-wall mom and pop place you see, and you will get the BEST breakfast burrito (although they are generally called Taquitos here). The tortillas are usually homemade. My fave is bacon-egg-potato-and-cheese. DO NOT get your taquitos from a fast food place or convenience store. It must be a shabby-looking restaurant or lunch-truck. The BEST.

Edited by perkybunch

MUST go to Schlitterbahn!!!!!!!! I hate amusement parks. My kids love amusement parks. We ALL LOVE Schlitterbahn. It is super duper awesome.

Also, go tubing on one of the spring fed rivers! There are all these amazing spring-fed super clean, cool, beautiful rivers to tube on. Must do! Super nice!

Sea World is Sea World. If you like it, and want to invest the time, go for it. But, it can be done elsewhere, too.

Stay out of the outdoors between noon and 5 pm. Find something to do inside, unless you are in the water. You will be hot as lizards. San Antonio is one of our favorite places. Riverwalk, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, The Alamo are all standard tourist places. The Riverwalk has great food, River Dinner Tours with the history of the city while you are cruising down the river, a beautiful place to just stroll.

The food is excellent. You cannot be on a diet there! :lol: My all-time must eat place is La Fogata. We always go there when we are in San Antonio.

The Alamo, Riverwalk, and a missions tour are definitely in order. Natural Bridge Caverns is fun if you've never done something like that. Schlitterbahn and tubing the Comal in New Braunfels would be fun w/ your kids. Your dd might like the outlet malls in San Marcos. Fredericksburg is about an hour and a half drive, but fun shopping for you and dd, and The Pacific War Museum (Nimitz Museum) is really nice. And if you want real BBQ, eat at Granzin's in New Braunfels. Rudy's and Bill Miller's are not real BBQ! Chris Madrid's in San Antonio has amazing Burgers! San Antonio has some great museums; The McNay, Institute of Texan Cultures.... A trip to Austin to the Bob Bullock Museum, and a visit to 6th street would be fun. hth

The Riverwalk of course, but we also enjoy the Marketplace, which is an indoor/outdoor replicated Mexican marketplace. It has lots of booths of kitschy souvenirs, but also some nice authentic decorative items and clothing. There are also two Mexican restaurants there worth checking out. Mi Tierra is a fun atmosphere and worth a stop in even just to buy from the Mexican Bakery. The other restaurant is La Margarita, where we prefer to eat.

We need food recommendations, too. What are the regional foods?

I am so jealous. So, so jealous.

I don't have sit down restaurant recommendations - but for fast meals, Taco Cabana is my favorite. It's good, good Mexican. Fresh tortillas, decent fajitas, yummy margaritas. I would pay real money and lots of it to have a Taco Cabana here.

At any Mexican restaurant:

Try migas for breakfast (eggs, chorizo, peppers, corn tortillas). Chile rellenos are another of my favorites, but I only like them with poblano peppers. Good, hot salsa - fresh tortillas, cheese enchiladas, sour cream chicken enchiladas, carne asada....

That is the one thing I was not prepared to do without when dh joined the army. I just assumed you should be able to find Mexican food anywhere - that assumption is WRONG.

ETA: We did the missions tour when I was in jr. high and it was pretty fascinating to me even then. Everyone always hears about the Alamo, but there are several to see. http://www.americansouthwest.net/texas/san_antonio_missions/historical_park.html

Edited by TXMomof4

I've only been here about a month and a half, so I've not tried a lot. We've eaten at Chacho's several times. Honestly though, it wasn't the food that I went for. They have Jack and Coke slushes. :tongue_smilie: Pretty sure the torta was good, though.

Also, Bill Miller BBQ is everywhere. The BBQ is just okay, but their breakfast tacos are really good, as is their fried chicken. Both Chacho's and Bill Miller are both cheap. I haven't ventured out very much, though.

Oh, and there's fruterias everywhere. The one at Bandera and Evers is the only one I've tried, but I don't imagine there being too much of a difference.

Ok, so it has been some years since I lived there but I remember some places.

Schlitterbahn is one of the BEST waterparks! You might not have thought seriously about it thinking if you have been to one waterpark than you have been to them all. This is way Better!

I looked it up and The Alamo Cafe is still Open! http://www.alamocafe.com/default2.asp They make the best Tortillas!

The RiverWalk is neat, go on a boat tour.

The Alamo is great too.

Check out some of the nearby Caverns in New Braunfels. Natural Bridge is one of the largest.

We always went tubing down the Guadalupe River. You could do that in New Braunfels too.

Be prepared for HOT weather. It is dry and really hot. I remember wearing tank tops and shorts on Christmas Day.

Shawna, what it a fruteria?

BBQ would be a good choice. Our kids have never had that. Up here, people say they're making bbq and what they mean is sloppy joes.

A fruteria is a fruit stand. Here's the menu of the one we go to.

As for BBQ, if you've not had it, you must find some. I usually get BBQ in much smaller towns and haven't looked for any here, yet. I did try some sausage and brisket from Bill Miller's (seriously, this place is everywhere here), and it was passable. The sausage sandwich is served on a poppy seed bun which I enjoyed, mainly because I like poppy seed buns, but like I said before, breakfast tacos and fried chicken are the stand outs here.

Rudy's and County Line are good BBQ places, but I've only had them in Austin, not here. People who have been in SA longer will know more about this one. :bigear: