Menu

ds13 finally has friends...SN momma brag for a moment

I know it seems like a no brainer. A 13 yr old with friends, big deal, and all that. BUT ds has struggled with making friends his whole life. He is a quirky, weird and sometimes downright bad kid so he seldom has friends, most parents have not allowed their kids to play with him and those that have are ones that I do not allow kwim.

A few months ago he became fairly good friends with a boy across town. He and this boy hang out at least once a week, this boy and dd claim to be a couple (claim because neither one is old enough to date) etc. He joins us for dinner, board games, fishing etc. In the end it has been a good friendship for him. Until that boy he had zero male friends and only 1 female friend (that moved away) since we came to this town. Pretty lonely existance for a 13 yr old boy.

Then about 6 weeks ago he met a new kid in town and now plays with him at least once a week as well. The friendship is not as strong as the above boy but it is still a friend.

THEN a few weeks ago he reconnected with a boy he met when we moved here 2 years ago. The boys parents had forbidden him to play with my kids due to ds's behaviour. However over the last 2 years they have seen that ds gets the short end of the stick a lot, is a common scapegoat but is generally a fairly decent kid. They have started allowing him to hang out with their boys again. In fact in the last 3 weeks I think he and dd have hung out over there more than with any other friend. He joined them for dinner last night and has been there since 10am today.

He has a sleepover planned for this evening with the best friend and is over all a pretty happy kid lately. I normally do not allow sleepovers, the 1 and only time I ever allowed them to go on one the mom left the kids home alone and went to the bar bringing home some random guy she picked up. This family he is staying with tonight though I have been getting to know the family and I don't see the parents doing that.

All 3 of these boys come from strict homes, with parental involvement, limits on bad friends etc. The 3rd one the dad has told ds he has to earn the parent's trust due to his previous behaviours but that they think he is an okay kid and that boy has named ds as his best friend.

6 months ago ds was into year 12 of zero friends, and now he has 2 boys say he is their best friend and more invites to hang out/play than he has time to accomodate.

For a SN kid with social skills issues, I am bursting with happiness for him.

I know it seems like a no brainer. A 13 yr old with friends, big deal, and all that. BUT ds has struggled with making friends his whole life. He is a quirky, weird and sometimes downright bad kid so he seldom has friends, most parents have not allowed their kids to play with him and those that have are ones that I do not allow kwim.

A few months ago he became fairly good friends with a boy across town. He and this boy hang out at least once a week, this boy and dd claim to be a couple (claim because neither one is old enough to date) etc. He joins us for dinner, board games, fishing etc. In the end it has been a good friendship for him. Until that boy he had zero male friends and only 1 female friend (that moved away) since we came to this town. Pretty lonely existance for a 13 yr old boy.

Then about 6 weeks ago he met a new kid in town and now plays with him at least once a week as well. The friendship is not as strong as the above boy but it is still a friend.

THEN a few weeks ago he reconnected with a boy he met when we moved here 2 years ago. The boys parents had forbidden him to play with my kids due to ds's behaviour. However over the last 2 years they have seen that ds gets the short end of the stick a lot, is a common scapegoat but is generally a fairly decent kid. They have started allowing him to hang out with their boys again. In fact in the last 3 weeks I think he and dd have hung out over there more than with any other friend. He joined them for dinner last night and has been there since 10am today.

He has a sleepover planned for this evening with the best friend and is over all a pretty happy kid lately. I normally do not allow sleepovers, the 1 and only time I ever allowed them to go on one the mom left the kids home alone and went to the bar bringing home some random guy she picked up. This family he is staying with tonight though I have been getting to know the family and I don't see the parents doing that.

All 3 of these boys come from strict homes, with parental involvement, limits on bad friends etc. The 3rd one the dad has told ds he has to earn the parent's trust due to his previous behaviours but that they think he is an okay kid and that boy has named ds as his best friend.

6 months ago ds was into year 12 of zero friends, and now he has 2 boys say he is their best friend and more invites to hang out/play than he has time to accomodate.

For a SN kid with social skills issues, I am bursting with happiness for him.

Congratulations! Yes, it sure does make life happier.