Menu

When was the last time you shocked your dc by saying "yes"?

This morning I was up early and as a few of my kids joined me in the living room, I looked at my 10 yods and told him he should go fix breakfast.

He said "o.k." so I asked him what he was going to fix.

He smiled and said, "Ice cream" in that voice that a kid uses when he knows he's being silly and not expecting Mom to actually agree to the request.

My kids are happily eating ice cream for breakfast :) Memory-making in action! I really need to shock them more often.

Yesterday. My 12 yo son was invited to sleep over a friends house with several other kids we know, and with parents I trust a great deal. When I said yes he didn't believe me at first LOL. So, last night he camped out in the yard of friends with a bunch of other kids we know from homeschooling. His first sleep over ever that was not with a family member.:D

That is awesome :)

This is interesting that you would post this today because I am going through a sort of personal "epiphany" or philosophy re-think thing right now about this very thing.

My dh's mom just passed away 6 weeks ago and at her memorial service and as her kids reminisced about her life, one of the most significant things about her was that she was a "yes" mom. Dh's sister said that her most common response when they would ask her if they could do (fill in the blank: craft, sport, ec activity, experiment, baking, etc, etc, etc...) was, "Let's do it; what do we need?". I was talking to my dh about it, as I know we can have a rose-colored view of our memories sometimes and he says it was true: she was always game for -- and quite frequently, the initiator of -- above mentioned fill-in-the-blank activities.

And this particular thing is what stood out for them out of all the great things about her. It really hit me that this is something I wish i could say about my own mom and I also want my kids to say about me....so I am purposefully making changes to be a "Let's-do-it-what-do-we-need" mom.

As I have been making those changes the past several weeks, it has been interesting to see my dc respond to it, especially my dd. I feel like it makes us closer when I jump into her "project" with excitement and encouragement. And I feel different too: less punitive, negative and more relaxed, connected.

I don't know if this is making any sense but I just wanted to affirm your ice-cream-for-breakfast adventure....your kids will probably always remember it with a smile :)

I became a 'yes' person when my kids were very young. I found there were many things that I would say 'no' to just because it was my experience and/or what was expected. I learned to spot the arbitrary rules I seemed to have developed. We've turned out just fine. :)

The last surprise was last weekend. My ds15 was joking around at 9:30pm Friday night about going to Dairy Queen. I grabbed my keys and said 'Let's go!' They know I don't like going out at night so they were surprised but we all piled into the car and went for ice cream. It was fun!

That is awesome :)

This is interesting that you would post this today because I am going through a sort of personal "epiphany" or philosophy re-think thing right now about this very thing.

My dh's mom just passed away 6 weeks ago and at her memorial service and as her kids reminisced about her life, one of the most significant things about her was that she was a "yes" mom. Dh's sister said that her most common response when they would ask her if they could do (fill in the blank: craft, sport, ec activity, experiment, baking, etc, etc, etc...) was, "Let's do it; what do we need?". I was talking to my dh about it, as I know we can have a rose-colored view of our memories sometimes and he says it was true: she was always game for -- and quite frequently, the initiator of -- above mentioned fill-in-the-blank activities.

And this particular thing is what stood out for them out of all the great things about her. It really hit me that this is something I wish i could say about my own mom and I also want my kids to say about me....so I am purposefully making changes to be a "Let's-do-it-what-do-we-need" mom.

As I have been making those changes the past several weeks, it has been interesting to see my dc respond to it, especially my dd. I feel like it makes us closer when I jump into her "project" with excitement and encouragement. And I feel different too: less punitive, negative and more relaxed, connected.

I don't know if this is making any sense but I just wanted to affirm your ice-cream-for-breakfast adventure....your kids will probably always remember it with a smile :)

Thank you so much for sharing this. It was an awakening moment for me this morning because my gut feeling when he mentioned the ice cream was an immediate "no" but then I realized, "Why not?".

I think I've gotten into the habit of saying "no" to everything outside our normal routine. Most of it is because I have so many littles and any change to routine, anything out of the norm becomes chaos but in my quest for routine, I've become the "no" Mom. YUCK!

More connection! Yes! We've gotten into a routine around here that has us each going our own way - even though we're in the same house. Time for some small changes to draw us together.