Menu

Is CLE Language Arts enough?

I'm thinking specifically of upper elementary and middle school grades. Is the grammar instruction meaty enough to prepare her for high school-level writing? How about the spelling? Did you supplement that part?

We are a long way from there at the moment, but I like to plan ahead. :001_smile:

DD is a rising 4th grader and she's working her way through CLE 100 (gap filling) this summer and will do CLE 200, and 1/2 of 300 next school year, at which point she'll be more or less "caught up" (or at least not woefully behind).

So the LA includes a writing element that is considered "enough" and or "rigorous"??

I think it depends on whose definition of 'enough' you use. It is certainly enough for my boys, but they have a strong aversion to writing.

My oldest son is almost done with level 400, and almost done with 4th grade, so I'm not sure about high school prep. This year, my oldest had a one-page research report, a friendly letter, a creative writing assignment, and several paragraph-length assignments. I especially like the emphasis on choosing the most efficient vocabulary in the student's writing.

Hope this helps!

PS- The only thing I supplement is spelling, because my kids struggle with spelling in general. CLE spelling is not rules-based, and I think it has helped my boys to learn spelling rules.

Although I turned over a new leaf this morning and am making some resolutions to slash my spending, I still think it's a good idea to buy some curricula ahead to be able to see the upper grades and make sure the curriculum is moving in the same direction that you are.

I bought CGE ahead and was thrilled. It's a perfect match all the way up. I bought a used Study Time Arithmetic workbook 2 years ahead and although I like it in GENERAL it's not a PERFECT fit for the students I am teaching right NOW. It's good to know that although I like grade 3, 5 is already looking like it took a fork in the road, I don't want to take with it.

Maybe can you afford to buy one of the upper grades, or find some odd used workbooks?

So the LA includes a writing element that is considered "enough" and or "rigorous"??

It is "ENOUGH" if you are also writing ala WTM across the curriculum, or writing in other subjects however you would like to. CLE does include writing instruction....and less days of lessons to include writing units. The teacher is encouraged to read and implement "On Teaching Writing" into the school year.

There are lessons incorporated into the light units over the grades to teach book reports, research writing, a research paper, outlining, summarizing etc. I keep those lessons out and repeat them a few times.

We also write in EVERY subject area...science reports, literature responses, historical essays, copy work, dictation etc.

HTH,

Faithe

It is "ENOUGH" if you are also writing ala WTM across the curriculum, or writing in other subjects however you would like to. CLE does include writing instruction....and less days of lessons to include writing units. The teacher is encouraged to read and implement "On Teaching Writing" into the school year.

There are lessons incorporated into the light units over the grades to teach book reports, research writing, a research paper, outlining, summarizing etc. I keep those lessons out and repeat them a few times.

We also write in EVERY subject area...science reports, literature responses, historical essays, copy work, dictation etc.

HTH,

Faithe

At which level do they recommend beginning "On Teaching Writing"? Do you find the book helpful?