Menu

Looking for fabulous 4th of July recipes

This thread on pot-luck dishes has some good recipes/ideas.

I posted this recipe, I make it all the time for cookouts.

Cornbread salad. You make 1 batch of sweet cornbread with about 10 oz of corn added to it (off the cob or out of a can). You then add 10 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled), 5 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped), 1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped), 1 white onion (chopped fine), 1 cup of Cheddar cheese and 1 cup of mayo. Allow it to sit in the fridge overnight.

Hello all,

I am looking for fabulous recipes that your families love for the 4th of July. Something that they always ask for when you grill or have a picnic.

Thanks for your help!

My favorite food tradition for the Fourth is the Jello Poke cake, with a strawberry and blueberry flag on top. All you need is a white cake mix, strawberry jello, cool whip, strawberries, and blueberries. The kids always make the flag on top, and it looks and tastes great.

Erica

This thread on pot-luck dishes has some good recipes/ideas.

I posted this recipe, I make it all the time for cookouts.

Cornbread salad. You make 1 batch of sweet cornbread with about 10 oz of corn added to it (off the cob or out of a can). You then add 10 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled), 5 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped), 1 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped), 1 white onion (chopped fine), 1 cup of Cheddar cheese and 1 cup of mayo. Allow it to sit in the fridge overnight.

Thanks so much. I also appreciate the thread link. I swear every time I entered the special code in order to search, it said I didn't enter it right and would give me a new one. I think I need to have my eyes checked.:D

My favorite food tradition for the Fourth is the Jello Poke cake, with a strawberry and blueberry flag on top. All you need is a white cake mix, strawberry jello, cool whip, strawberries, and blueberries. The kids always make the flag on top, and it looks and tastes great.

Erica

That is a great idea. My daughter would have fun making it. Thanks!

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

I made this recipe up when I needed to bring a dessert LAST MINUTE and didn't have time to bake.

Store bought pound cake

Strawberries, cleaned & sliced

Vanilla pudding

Cool Whip

Chocolate Syrup (optional)

Nilla Wafers

Prepare pudding using the Pie Filling recipe on the box. Chill. Cut the pound cake into cubes.

Put some cubes in the bottom of a large bowl. Plop some pudding on there, then some cool whip. Sprinkle some strawberry slices every here and there. Drizzle with chocolate syrup (optional). Repeat until you run out of ingredients. Make sure the top has cool whip on it; crush Nilla Wafers (about 2) and sprinkle over top.

Yummmmmmm!!!!!!

PS You could throw in some blueberries if you want (but omit the chocolate syrup, please. That would just be wrong.) LOL

Grilled veggies are always a hit and so delicious. My favorites are eggplant and zucchini.

You cut the eggplant into rounds and the zucchini you slice length ways. Put them in a bowl with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Mix well to coat and then grill until tender. It is so good.

Steamed little necks with chorizo and corn on the cob

baby back ribs

grilled vegetables (onions, asparagus, peppers)

potato salad

deviled eggs

baby spinach salad with mandarin oranges and red onions, drizzle with really good balsamic vinegar

chive biscuits

vanilla ice cream on a pizzelle with fresh raspberries and blueberries and fresh whipped cream

DH and I went to a soiree the other night where there were lots of food stations set up, and my favorite item there was called a bbq cocktail. I thought I could copy that idea myself for the 4th!

In a cocktail glass, a few tablespoons of each item, layered from the bottom up: baked beans, pulled pork (w/bbq sauce), coleslaw, "garnished" with a dill pickle spear. Just use your favorite recipe for each of the ingredients.

You could serve this in any size container you choose, from a small plastic cup up to a full-meal-size mason jar. It was delicious, and had that all-American, apple pie & Chevrolet kinda feeling!

1 1/2 cups graham crackers (about 1 and 1/4 sleeves)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup softened butter

8 oz cream cheese (or Neufchatel, the 1/2 fat version)

1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs, beaten well

blueberry topping

For crust: Combine crackers, brown sugar, nuts and butter in food processor. Press into 9 X 13 inch pan. Combine cream cheese, sugar, and eggs thoroughly. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool. Top with cooled blueberry topping.

Blueberry Topping

4-6 cups fresh blueberries

1 cup sugar

2 TBSP cornstarch

1 tsp lemon juice

Mix all ingredients and cook over medium heat until juice thickens. Cool.

If you are taking this somewhere, make sure you test that your dish will fit in the cooler!

Grilled veggies are always a hit and so delicious. My favorites are eggplant and zucchini.

You cut the eggplant into rounds and the zucchini you slice length ways. Put them in a bowl with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper & garlic powder. Mix well to coat and then grill until tender. It is so good.

Just a dash of each?

This is amazing and so easy! We have also substituted flat-iron steak--either way, we can't get enough. We serve with sticky rice and Asian slaw. My kids love this.

2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend (recommended brand McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning)

1/4 cup Tamari dark soy

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

2 large cloves garlic, chopped

2 teaspoons toasted (dark) sesame oil, eyeball it

2 scallions, finely chopped

Vegetable oil, for drizzling

2 pounds flank steak

In a shallow dish, combine grill seasoning, dark soy, honey, hot pepper flakes, chopped garlic, sesame oil, scallions and a drizzle of vegetable oil. Coat the flank steak in the mixture and let it stand 10 minutes.

Preheat indoor electric grill, stove top grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high. When the grill pan or grill is screaming hot, add meat and cook 5 minutes on each side for medium rare, 7 to 8 minutes on each side for medium well doneness.

To serve, let meat rest 5 minutes (or 15 minutes if you have the time) for juices to redistribute. Thinly slice the meat on a heavy angle against the grain (the lines in the meat).

YUM!