Menu

Nonsecular Unit Study Curriculum

Hi all. I just joined and this is my first post.

We are going to try homeschooling for the first time in a couple of months. Eeks!

I have a dd10 and a ds7. My dd has ADHD and she is not medicated (maybe one day).

For history/geography/social studies and writing practice, I'm currently researching using Unit Studies. My thought is that I can use it for both children which will cut down on preparation and instruction time.

So my question is: Are there any unit study curriculums you recommend that are:

- non secular,

- good for an ADHD student,

- requires minimal preparation on my part, and

- can span the ages of 7-10?

It doesn't necessarily need to follow the classical model (I'm keeping options open since I'm at the beginning of my research here).

We live abroad and we don't have access to the quantity and quality of local opportunities (like museums, etc.) found in 1st world countries. So we need our curriculum to not be dependent on those resources.

Lastly dh's company should be paying for the materials so we are not on a limited budget.

I have been looking through the boards, researching online, etc. So far the best I can come up would require doing significant prep work (identifying my own topics and obtaining books, instruction and materials needed) and then have the children create lap books.

I'm hoping there's a better solution! By "better" I mean better for me (the above idea would be great for the kids). I think it would be unrealistic for me to do that work in my first year of homeschooling. Maybe something like a KONOS in a Box but non secular?

We'll be coming home to California for three weeks in July and I plan on purchasing as much as I can before we head back here.

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by GThomas

Hello and welcome to the forums :).

This is not unit studies like you are asking but have you checked out the Calvert curriculum? We lived abroad too when we first started homeschooling (my oldest was a preschooler at the time) and we started with Calvert to get our feet wet. We later moved on to Sonlight (not secular), TOG (Tapestry of Grace) which is unit study based but not secular either, and are now coming back to Calvert. To that we are adding:

For LA:

- WWE

- FLL

- Spalding for spelling

For Math:

- Math in Focus (along with Calvert's math)

We are also adding some Canadian studies since we are Canadian.

I have had almost a year now of researching ADD/ ADHD, Autism, among other things (I am currently researching Dual Exceptionality and reading the book Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses), and am at a point where I don't have the time for all the planning that I have been doing the past couple of years. I also find that we need the structure and I like that Calvert is secular since it is a school curriculum also. Anyway, just something for you to look at while sorting things out :). Here's a link to the Calvert Homeschool curriculum:

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/

Since your husband's company will be paying for this, you could consider the teacher's help also (ATS), which would give you more accountability.

Best of luck to you and your family :)!

Edited by Guest

:lol: No, no, no book! I have been researching for my boys' sake. I have some suspicions that my oldest may have Asperger's and as for my little guy, I am not sure yet. We have moved back to Canada the past couple of years and since we are in a different province than where we lived before, we do not know anyone and have had issues finding a doctor for our boys. We need a referral in order to have testing done, since our insurance does not cover it. I am researching like a mad woman in order to see how I can help my boys, while trying to find a doctor that will take them on. I want a proper diagnosis, not something a GP would do in his office. I think I may be dealing with dual exceptionality (gifted but with LD's) and I want giftedness to be considered in any evaluation done on my boys. So this is why I am educating myself.

We are also in the process of possibly moving further out of the city (in a few months) and up north, so a lot is up in the air for us right now and I need the security of a well planned out program. This is where Calvert comes in for us. So that's my story ;).

Edited by Guest

Hi all. I just joined and this is my first post.

We are going to try homeschooling for the first time in a couple of months. Eeks!

I have a dd10 and a ds7. My dd has ADHD and she is not medicated (maybe one day).

For history/geography/social studies and writing practice, I'm currently researching using Unit Studies. My thought is that I can use it for both children which will cut down on preparation and instruction time.

So my question is: Are there any unit study curriculums you recommend that are:

- non secular,

- good for an ADHD student,

- requires minimal preparation on my part, and

- can span the ages of 7-10?

Have you looked at History Odyssey Level 1 by Pandia Press? There is minimal preparation, the lessons are laid out clearly, there is map work, timelines, and a writing component. You can download a sample to determine whether this is something that might interest you.

I think I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. You said "nonsecular". You mean you want *Christian* materials? Or you mean you want non-sectarian (not churchy) materials? For secular with those ages I would look at Sonlight or Oak Meadow. I know Sonlight isn't totally secular, but you can drop stuff and be where you want to be. Konos is an EXTREME amount of work to plan. You basically start with tons of options and make your whole plan yourself, research everything, find the books, etc. For Christian, the CCUS (Christian Cottage Unit Studies) are good. WinterPromise will work well for that if you skip a lot of the papercrafts and keep it real.

You realize many of the standard options popular on the board can also work? SOTW has short lessons that can be read aloud and includes plenty of activities. Easy to make fit your situation. WT (Writing Tales) 1 and 2 would be good fits for your girls or try some IEW. My dd has LOVED the VP online, self-paced history. Fabulous, fabulous.

Even with a unit study people are typically adding on math and a separate english. When I first started out homeschooling I read stories of people who would do unit studies and have all their math, everything flow from it. I've always felt more comfortable with a separate math textbook and sequential materials for the skills (grammar, etc.). These kids typically need a LOT of repetition for the basics to stick, so it's not something I wanted to leave to chance, kwim? So for us it was easier just to use those sequential materials for skills and then spend 2 hours a day on history, which she really loves. So you can find that balance that works for you. I find unit studies hard to pull off every day, all the time. When I've really wanted to do them whole hog, I've done them for discreet periods of time (a month in May, that sort of thing). For the general stuff, we've found it easier just to do regular things and adapt. You want it to engage multiple modalities and draw in their imagination. You want to keep the time amounts low enough (for the required work) that they have energy left to follow their interests. My dd needs a lot of structure and would drift, saying she didn't know what to do. Out of sight, out of mind, even when you have cool stuff. So it takes a lot of energy to organize things and keep them funneled with stuff they want to do, if that makes sense.

Hi OhElizabeth. Oh I had that wrong then! I did look it up to make sure I was saying it correctly but the online dictionaries gave conflicting or unclear information. (some homeschool mom I'll be!) What I meant was: non-sectarian I guess or more simply put, not Christian based. There seems to be a lot of Christian based material out there that looks outstanding but it's not what I'm interested in.

I had to look up what SOTW is (I'm still learning here!) and that looks very interesting to me! I can't find VP Online on the internet. Do you have a URL?

I am planning on having my kids do math and grammar and other stuff separately. I'm thinking of MathUSee for my ADHD dd and possibly Singapore Math for my ds.

But I hear your point about the work involved for unit studies. Actually I was thinking we'd do one a month. But...geesh, maybe back to the drawing board for me and something like the Calvert School would make more sense (but I'd still supplement the math for dd as that's one of the primary reasons why we will be homeschooling)

I do need to finish reading The Well Trained Mind...maybe that will put me more on top of this.

Thank you, thank you for all your help!

Ah 4evercanucks I understand. And it certainly takes a lot of research! Best of luck with it all!

Thank you :)!

Hi OhElizabeth. Oh I had that wrong then! I did look it up to make sure I was saying it correctly but the online dictionaries gave conflicting or unclear information. (some homeschool mom I'll be!) What I meant was: non-sectarian I guess or more simply put, not Christian based. There seems to be a lot of Christian based material out there that looks outstanding but it's not what I'm interested in.

Too funny :lol:! I was posting when I should have been sleeping and for some reason, in spite what you said, I figured that you were talking about secular. It was why I mentioned Calvert.

I had to look up what SOTW is (I'm still learning here!) and that looks very interesting to me! I can't find VP Online on the internet. Do you have a URL?

I am planning on having my kids do math and grammar and other stuff separately. I'm thinking of MathUSee for my ADHD dd and possibly Singapore Math for my ds.

But I hear your point about the work involved for unit studies. Actually I was thinking we'd do one a month. But...geesh, maybe back to the drawing board for me and something like the Calvert School would make more sense (but I'd still supplement the math for dd as that's one of the primary reasons why we will be homeschooling)

I do need to finish reading The Well Trained Mind...maybe that will put me more on top of this.

Thank you, thank you for all your help!

Here's a link to the abbreviations sticky, in case you have not seen it yet:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501

Sorry about my abbreviations, just ask whatever you don't know :).

From my previous post:

- FLL: First Language Lessons by one of the authors of the WTM, (Susan's mom) Jessie Wise.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/language-arts/grammar.html

- WWE: Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/language-arts/writing/writing-elementary.html

- Spalding is an integrated LA program that is usually used for spelling in the homeschool world. Her manual where you can find her approach is called The Writing Road to Reading. Here's a link to the latest edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Road-Reading-6th-Rev/dp/0062083937/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065480&sr=8-1

For some reason Amazon has not linked the reviews from the previous editions so here's the 5th edition with some reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Road-Reading-5th-Harperresource/dp/0910308985/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338065480&sr=8-3

We have purchased a TG (teacher's guide) but it is not necessary, especially if the method is used just for spelling. I bought it because I want to use the integrated lessons for my little guy starting this fall and continue until grades 1 or 2. Not sure yet since I have not started yet. Anyway, here's the link to Spalding International where the TG's can be found.

http://spalding.org/store/instructional.php

We have our own Spalding expert here on the WTM forums (forum name Ellie) so if you find yourself interested in Spalding just post in the K-8 board and I am sure Ellie will see it :).

As for Math in Focus, it is Houghton Mifflin's version of Singapore Math. We have been using Singapore Primary Standards but are switching to MiF because the texts include the instruction, which will give my son more independence in math. He does a lot better without me hovering over him trying to explain everything. The curse of being a mathy person :tongue_smilie:! Anyway, we are very strongly visual/ tactile in this family and he has been doing really well with Miquon this year, that we have been using as an add-on, so I figured that a switch from Singapore Primary to MiF would be beneficial to him.

Here's MiF if you want to check it out:

http://my.hmheducation.com/forms/MIFCourse1SamplerRequest

Not sure if the sampler will work. I had linked it in another thread and it wasn't working at the time:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/HA/correlations/pdf/m/Math_in_Focus_Sampler.pdf

http://www.greatsource.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&level1Code=05&level2Code=050&level3Code=mif00&frontOrBack=F&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&division=G01

Here's a link to VP (Veritas Press):

http://www.veritaspress.com/

Hope this helps a bit :).

Edited by Guest

Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot, hehe! VP (Veritas Press) is not secular, so almost none of it would fly for you. SOTW will work well for you. If you already have your math and english figured out, I'd just find the science and history that really appeal to your kids and put the amount of time and emphasis into the one they prefer. You don't need calvert, not if you have their math and LA figured out. Calvert however has CHOW (Child's History of the World) which is very good. SOTW however has more hands-on activities. Winter Promise would also work well for you.

Have fun researching! Once you've got the math and LA nailed, don't stress and make this more than it is. It's ok to have fun. :)

Like Elizabeth mentioned, Story of the World is a very good choice. We have been using it but since my boy is not really into history, I have left it and will come back to it in grade 5 for the second cycle (which will be the first really, for us). Vol. 1 can be used as a resource beefed up for grade 5 and Volumes 2-4 can be used for grades 6-8 respectively.

Calvert's CHOW is actually found in the grade 4 package as one of two options (CHOW or Regions) or can be added separately as an enrichment program. You could buy just the book pretty much anywhere, but if bought from Calvert directly or through Christianbook.com you can get the package which includes the book, teacher's manual, workbook and answer key. The additional materials include activities.

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/why-calvert/homeschool-enrichments/history-courses/a-childs-history-of-the-world

If the grade 3 package goes well for us, I will continue with grade 4 and get Regions and add in the TG, WB and answer key for CHOW. We already own the book. Calvert's programs are considered classical, although not the classical approach as found in the WTM. I really wanted to follow the WTM more closely this year but I have found that while I am good at planning, I am really bad at estimating time frames and my son and I were doing school 7+ hours a day since grade 1. For now, and while I am working out everything else for my boys, having everything planned out for me really appeals to me ;). I will decide what the distant future holds when we get there.

Edited by Guest

Too funny :lol:! I was posting when I should have been sleeping and for some reason, in spite what you said, I figured that you were talking about secular. It was why I mentioned Calvert.

Just to explain my previous comment as highlighted above (in case of a misunderstanding) I meant it is funny that I actually figured that you meant secular and it did not register at all that you had said nonsecular ;). We are all here to learn from each other and to help our little ones. Stick around :)!

You might like Evan Moor History Pockets? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=evan+moor+history+pocket

They are not Christian, totally secular.

For geography/map skills, you might like Maps Charts Graphs. The levels are lettered, not graded, so you could start both kids in level A and go from there.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/008888/52b41e3713688c4d48c0795e

Just some thoughts. Hope they are helpful. :)

All great recommendations that I completely appreciate. I am enjoying the research phase even though it does seem overwhelming. I'm still plugging through the Well Trained Mind and jotting down tons of notes. And I will be looking through all your recommendations as well.

And thank you all for being so kind about my confusion of secular, non-secular and non-sectarian!!