Menu

Question about R&S English 5

Lesson 35: Agreement of Subjects and Verbs

The example says:

WRONG: Ralph write his memory verses. (write is underlined 2x but I can't do that on here)

RIGHT: Ralph writes his memory verses. (again, write is underlined 2x)

It says the subject and the verb must work together-- a singular subject has a singular verb and a plural subject has a plural verb. The subject in the 2nd sentence is still singular. I didn't even catch that (bad teacher) until dd pointed that out. Am I missing something overly obvious?? (been one of those weeks-- it wouldn't surprise me if I am :001_huh:)

Sooo-- what am I missing here? Please enlighten me.

ETA: Just wanted to add I am sure I am missing something VERY obvious-- so I am already feeling embarrassed ;) Its just one of those weeks, ya know??

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Lesson 35: Agreement of Subjects and Verbs

The example says:

WRONG: Ralph write his memory verses. (write is underlined 2x but I can't do that on here)

RIGHT: Ralph writes his memory verses. (again, write is underlined 2x)

It says the subject and the verb must work together-- a singular subject has a singular verb and a plural subject has a plural verb. The subject in the 2nd sentence is still singular.

Correct. The subject "Ralph" is singular, so they corrected the verb to be singular as well. Perhaps it's the "s" on the end that is throwing you off? It is an oddity of English that third person singular verbs use an "s" at the end.