Menu

Anybody put a single-wide trailer on your property for a school?

We are considering doing this with a 1 or 2 bedroom. We haven't looked into it yet but the neighbor has 3 houses on his acre and there are many houses with "back houses" in their yard in our town. Dh and I are going to call and see what permits would be required (if any). Has anybody done this? I would LOVE to do this as our house is kinda small. We could keep projects out, have the 'kitchen' as a science lab, a bedroom as a library (and I wouldn't have to worry about passing up all the great book deals I see due to lack of space) and just have room for more hands on (plants for botany studies, all kids of stuff!!)! Dh even thinks its a great idea (:thumbup1:) We are thinking of finding an older single wide and fixing it up. If you have done something like this, how did it go??

If you can do it go for it. I wish we had the space. The only issue may be getting the electric and plumbing hooked up into it, depending on what the lines coming onto your property are like kwim.

I wish we had the space here to even put a large shed to convert into a school room, so I think it is a great idea.

If you can do it go for it. I wish we had the space. The only issue may be getting the electric and plumbing hooked up into it, depending on what the lines coming onto your property are like kwim.

I wish we had the space here to even put a large shed to convert into a school room, so I think it is a great idea.

We have a friend who is a plumber who already said he would help us and where we would put it it would be in line with the power pole so I would assume it would hook up fairly easily. That is something we are going to look into after we see what permits and such we would need.

I think it is a great idea. You wouldn't need to clean up projects so you can use the table or floor, and the mess doesn't show when you have friends over. You would have more space for group projects as your dc get older. The library idea is great because you could have a dedicated room for books, and a couple nice, comfy chairs in the middle of the room for quiet reading times.

I might miss the convenience of running to the dishwasher or washing machine to change the loads, though. But if the trailer was close to the house, it wouldn't matter.

Then once you are not hsing anymore, you would have a guest house, or your dc or other family members could live there, or maybe you could rent it out. Of course, you could repurpose it to be your private quiet place, with the reading room and a quiet, pretty (redecorated, or course) living area where you can hang out or pursue your hobbies.There are a lot of options. If you can get the permits, it sounds like a good investment.

For the same amount of money, wouldn't it make more financial sense to build a room/in-law suite onto your house?

Our house is kinda on a hill (kinda) We looked at adding on to our house (for more bedrooms though) and its going to be really expensive because we have to flatten part of the hill and everything.

I think it is a great idea. You wouldn't need to clean up projects so you can use the table or floor, and the mess doesn't show when you have friends over. You would have more space for group projects as your dc get older. The library idea is great because you could have a dedicated room for books, and a couple nice, comfy chairs in the middle of the room for quiet reading times.

I might miss the convenience of running to the dishwasher or washing machine to change the loads, though. But if the trailer was close to the house, it wouldn't matter.

Then once you are not hsing anymore, you would have a guest house, or your dc or other family members could live there, or maybe you could rent it out. Of course, you could repurpose it to be your private quiet place, with the reading room and a quiet, pretty (redecorated, or course) living area where you can hang out or pursue your hobbies.There are a lot of options. If you can get the permits, it sounds like a good investment.

This is what we were thinking about!!

For the same amount of money, wouldn't it make more financial sense to build a room/in-law suite onto your house?

For me, it would be a good reminder to focus on school during school "hours." It is convenient to be able to do a quick kitchen chore or transfer laundry between lessons; however, I am highly distractable. :D

OP, I think it's a wonderful idea. I would have a good read-aloud going at home, though, just to keep up the cozy factor, kwim?

Place your trailer right to take advantage of sunshine and you can plant a garden around it, too. Wish I could have one in my backyard. I think the biggest bonus is your dh thinking it's a good idea!

For me, it would be a good reminder to focus on school during school "hours." It is convenient to be able to do a quick kitchen chore or transfer laundry between lessons; however, I am highly distractable. :D

OP, I think it's a wonderful idea. I would have a good read-aloud going at home, though, just to keep up the cozy factor, kwim?

Place your trailer right to take advantage of sunshine and you can plant a garden around it, too. Wish I could have one in my backyard. I think the biggest bonus is your dh thinking it's a good idea!

Yes I get very distracted with other stuff. To be honest he thinks its a good idea because i am trying to re-arrange furniture in the living room to try to fit 2 more bookshelves in here. We are just running out of room. We already have 11book shelves lining our living room walls. :001_huh: