Menu

If you use Classical Conversations..

LAmom

What do you use at home for history and science? CC is just the cards and no spine right? I mean, if I were to do CC next year would it just be adding extra work to my schedule? We struggle now to get bare minimum done. I am switching to SOTW 1 next year. Cycle 1 is being done for CC. So some ancients....but on top of doing history at home would I need to add in a lot of work at home to be prepared for CC?

How about science? I may do Apologia. Should I avoid that and do whatever CC does in class and that be enough?

Just not getting how it all works out. If it would just suck up money, time, energy that I don't have. Though something interests me about it! :001_smile:

There is really no right or wrong here. Many parents take the history and science topics from the week and find library books to read along side. Some families do complete history and science courses and call Classical Conversations "extra". With children your age, I would take the first option and use the memory work as your spine and find some things to go along. The history cards are a wonderful resource for information. You could use the ancient set for your history spine. It follows SOTW 1 very nicely.

Personally, we are going to follow WTM suggestions for history next year and use Apologia for science. This will be for 5th grade.

You will need to give yourselves time to adjust to the 4 day week. Don't expect your dc to come home after CC and do school. You are pretty much wasting your time there unless it is something fun. I'm thinking about scheduling my Apologia projects on those afternoons.

I hope this helps.

Paula

I used RS4K Biology. It matched up very well with the first half of cycle 1. (We are not in a group, we do it at home alone and started with cycle 1.) I stopped pushing the memory work in the second half because it did not match up, we did not have a geology text and the history went beyond SOTW 1. We only did the timeline through the ancients. Next year we will do what matchea our history study. I like it as a supplement to do on our own, but I don't want to be in a group and need to keep up with It.

We really used it for carschooling ;)

I don't even try to line it up. I look at CC Foundations as purely memory work. What's great is the connections that come when we hit something in our curriculum they already memorized from CC. I'm starting to see that happen more and more in 3rd grade and expect it to continue on. Those light bulb moments make me think this is really doing what the program intends which is develop pegs of information for the students to easily be able to recall. The familarity has made those things so much easier to teach because they already have the basics down. Instead of their eyes glazing over, I have their attention because they already know something about what I'm talking about.

That said we have started SOTW 1 this summer and we will finish SOTW 2 next spring to try to stay with CC cycles. We are doing Apologia Botany this summer as well. (Botany is so much better in the summer!) But I'm not about putting it all together based on the CC schedule. That won't work for me!

Also, preparation at home really isn't that big of a deal. We spend about 20-30 minutes each day singing the memory songs and the big time line song. I add in about 10 minutes per day for my 9yo for his presentations (actually we usually end up doing this the day before CC unless I'm really on the ball. :blushing:) I play the memory work CD in their room while they are playing or in the car when we are driving all around town.

My suggestion is that you just do the program and don't change much with your regular curriculum. Then, if you want to try to line things up better, do it after you have better understanding of what you are getting out of CC.

Check to see if there is a practicum near you. You can talk with other CC moms and the practicum is usually free (children programming is not free).

Thank you, everyone. The CC nearby has a meeting on Wednesday so I can get more info then, too. I may get a better idea when I get to actually have my hands on stuff. I am not reading too much pro CC on the forum. But, I guess I can find pros and cons to everything I research!

We did CC last year and we are not doing it this year again. I too was doing SOTW and my own science curriculum. I felt that CC just added a lot more for me to do every day. Although it's only 30-45 minutes a day, that's a lot when you are still trying to fit in everything else. If you do CC, then make it your main curriculum. If you do WTM, then skip CC IMO.