Menu

Looking for good military books for a HS girl

My daughter wants to go to the Air Force Academy and I found a fiction book called Battle Dress that tells the story of a young girl going to West Point. I can't remember the author but she (the author) actually went to West Point and became an officer. My daughter really enjoyed the book because it showed her what going to West Point was like in a novel sort of way. She doesn't want a non fiction, this is what it is like kinda of book--she want's characters and such and so my question is: can any of you recommend any good living books about a female in the military--would love one set at the Air Force Academy but would take any suggestions. A book about a boy going would be okay as well.

Thanks!

Candice

Hello- My dd is a rising senior at the AFA now. I recommend checking out collegeconfidential.com --service academies, and I think the Parents part had an old thread about their favorite books/movies on these topics. I seem to think that you will have just as much luck with DVD's as finding books. Absolutely American is highly regarded (book about WP) (NF) When you go to that call number at the library you may find more. I guess there was an old (1955)movie on last Saturday (turner) called The long gray Line about a long time teacher at West Point. The parents said that they when they visit his grave there it is always covered with momentos to this day. (our library has one copy only) In the non fiction area there is a book about a woman at the Naval Academy that is kind of interesting. The marquise piece is the set of 4 DVDs about the service academies done for TV. (they have 4 different titles but they were well done --Making of an Officer?) They still are the best, and are considered "required" in our area. (you have to go through an interview process so they may ask you if you have seen them) check your library. There is supposed to be a new one coming out about the AFA called Wings of Honor but they are still looking for funding. (DVD) Also you could try serviceacademyforums.com and post an inquiry about people's fav. books. A lot of the parents and current students help the interested high schoolers by telling them what the life is like. FYI the new AFA class that started last week has a record setting % of women, like 22%! HTH!

Hey NancyL,

Thanks so much for all the info--I will get right on it. So did you homeschool your dd all through high school? You can email me off board if you want but I would love to hear how she got accepted. You know what are they looking for--more leadership positions or more academic grades, etc. Also, maybe your dd and my dd could email back and forth. She is into the Civil Air Patrol, plays basketball and tennis (for two different high schools), plays piano and she still thinks she needs to do more to stand out. She works and is going to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity. I think that is alot already but I don't know much about what they are really looking for --past what I have read on their website about requirements and such. So to get inside info would be a blessing. Our email address is cirbofamily@msn.com

How did your dd decide to go into the Air Force? Does she want to be a pilot? That's what my dd wants to do--fly fighter jets. She has wanted to go to the AFA for about 3 years now. I wish she would do something else but she wants this and I fully support her. I just don't know how to help her sometimes reach her goal so I try and find other people who have children in the services to help me help her.

Anyway thanks so much (again!) for the information!

Candice

Another West Point book and it's non-fiction, however, it is a good read ...

Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point by Elizabeth Samet

See here for more information: http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Heart-Reading-Literature-Through/dp/0374180636

The book is as much about the students at West Point as it is about the literature. She might enjoy it.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, my dd was HS'd but she had a diploma through Indiana Univ. HS. This worked better because she needed the NCAA eligibilty. (see former threads on this) However, her vision isn't perfect, so I don't think she would have gotten in without being an athlete. (they save about 1/2 the spots for those with good vision) (called PQ for pilot qualified) This is not the case at the other academies BTW. IUHS had never gotten a student into AFA before, but its because of the vision I think. Also test scores are BIG! Really you will find more than enough info on the other websites--you will be occupied for weeks!!! What you are doing looks fine-I don't know what year your dd is so that could affect my recommendations. If possible attend a sports camp there-they are in June so you will have to wait until next year. You get a taste, and you can go any year. The coach will remember you. For the 1 week summer seminar you have to be a rising senior so you get only one shot at that. My dd knows a tennis player and she says she likes it, but they do a lot of traveling. Look into the other academies also, because what you learn with one will help you for others, and the process is very similar. Don't neglect the ROTC application, the women are very highly sought after, and you can get a full ride if you are a science major. (food for thought) The process favors organized people BTW and I compare it to an Easter Egg Hunt. Get as many eggs as possible, because no one "egg" will be enough. The reading etc. would help because of the interview process, they can ask you many questions. My dd's BF is starting his PT in Florida this fall. (they will owe more than the normal 5 years due to the expense of the training.) My dd loves it BTW --she literally will have seen much of the world, just during college --all paid for. She's doing a semester at a Russian University this fall. The scholarship is worth about $350K now, I think. Also I think its good to have camp experience so you have been away from home. Someone told me that they like HS kids because family support is very helpful when you are at the academies, and also serving. HS kids have supportive families you could surmise!

Kareni--that is very interesting. That is the same author as Absolutely American. (he spent a year at West Point)and said he really thought that the kids there were happier than at other universities, much to his surprise. He wrote for the Rolling Stone Mag before, and his POV was a little different than the more military styled typical academy books. His book was quite a hit. I'm amazed that you found it and the other parents list servs have not!! They constantly chatter about all the new things, so they missed something. I can't wait to read it. Actually my dd nearly went to West Point. She just mentioned it again how much she enjoyed her visit there.

... That is the same author as Absolutely American.

I looked up Absolutely American and I see it was written by David Lipsky whereas Soldier's Heart was written by Elizabeth Samet. I think I see how you reached that conclusion though since the Publishers Weekly review on Amazon started, "Azar Nafisi meets David Lipsky in this memoir/meditation on crossing the border between the civilian world of literature and the world of the military during 10 years of teaching English at West Point."

I found it a good read, and I hope you'll enjoy it too.

Regards,

Kareni

We just started watching a 10-hour PBS series called "Carrier", which follows the daily lives of men and women in the Navy serving aboard an aircraft carrier. What might be helpful about watching this series to any young person considering serving in the armed forces is seeing the discipline required, get a feel for the *wide* range of personalities you will have to learn to live with, and especially the realities of living and serving away from home for months, even years, at a time.

Perhaps your local library might carry these series. Just a thought! BEST of luck to your daughter in her decision! Warmly, Lori D.

Thanks for the correction--Kareni--I totally misread that description!

On this note-if you have a chance to see The Guardian (movie from a couple of years ago) is about the Coast Guard specifically the rescue swimmers. The movie has its good parts and a couple of parts that should be fast forwarded--But anyway- if you watch the out takes, and Directors commentary on the DVD you will see footage of the real Coast Guard rescuing people from their houses after Katrina. It was very interesting because they were filming the movie in the region when the hurricane struck. The film people were impressed by the caliber of the rescuers in Real Life, and that part was interesting to me. They mentioned that there really hadn't been any kind of attention in the film industry to these type of fields and they thought it was long overdue. Definitely a motivator to watch! (could combine with Perfect Storm (book) and Lost at Sea where you learn about some of the risks involved.

Lori- I had "heard" some discussion about this on the parent list servs when it played the first time and they said it was very good, at one point almost too much "real life" But hey- compared to reality TV. I think people have generally been quite impressed with the program. Any of these films give you background so that you know what you might be getting into---when you go into the interview process anything you can add is all good. Thanks for the heads up.

"She is into the Civil Air Patrol, plays basketball and tennis (for two different high schools), plays piano and she still thinks she needs to do more to stand out. She works and is going to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity."

All of the above things your daughter is doing would count towards a fabulous, impressive, national award called the Congressional Award, which requires hours/activities in 4 areas: personal interest, physical fitness, volunteer public service, and the planning and executing of an expedition. There are 3 levels of "certificate" award (bronze, silver and gold) and then above that are 3 levels of "medal" award (bronze, silver and gold). Students work on awards from ages 13-24. The top award is the gold medal, which requires: 400 hours of volunteer public service; 200 hours of personal interest development; 200 hours of physical fitness; and an expedition of a minimum of 4 consecutive nights.

See more about it at the Congressional Award website:

http://www.congressionalaward.org/congress/?CFID=1321389&CFTOKEN=53176785

Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori- I had "heard" some discussion about this on the parent list servs when it played the first time and they said it was very good, at one point almost too much "real life" But hey- compared to reality TV. I think people have generally been quite impressed with the program. Any of these films give you background so that you know what you might be getting into---when you go into the interview process anything you can add is all good. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't know about reality TV shows, since I've not watched any, but I would say the episode we've watched seemed VERY produced -- in parts much more like a music video, with hard driving rock beat song and lots of artistic shots of people at work on the carrier, then interspersed with clips of various people talking about a particular topic of serving in the Navy, or following them around as they do their jobs.

If anything, I'd say so far it seems more like a very extended recruiting ad! (lol) However, I do think it's worth watching if nothing else but to hear those snippets from people's lives; a large portion of the people serving are 18-21 years old, away from home for the first time. The majority (of the enlisted) come from poor and/or unstable -- or non-existant -- family situations, and are looking to the Navy to help them learn self discipline and to give them a chance to make something of themselves -- to break out of that dysfunctional family background/cycle. I have tremendous respect for the strength of character of those young people!

Anyways, that's a review based solely on 1 hour out of the 10. : ) Warmly, Lori

...if you have a chance to see The Guardian (movie from a couple of years ago) is about the Coast Guard specifically the rescue swimmers. ...

Thanks for the recommendation, Nancy; it definitely sounds intriguing.

Regards,

Kareni

Lori- I was looking over the website for the Congressional Award. I have heard of it before on these boards, but it was very nice having the direct link. Thanks for that. I have a question- did (or do) you sign up individually, or did you do it as a group? Is there something additionally you should be aware of? Special training or facilities required? Can the parent be the adult counselor? (I forgot what it was called) (or do you need to find someone out in the community to help with this) Have you finished the program or are you working on it? Are there any cons to know about? It looks very good to me, I was curious about any problems you might have encountered! Thanks

Nancy, I've really been trying to push my lazy boys to sign up and do this program, so, alas, no, I don't have any answers for you. From what I've read on the website, they need someone *other* than a parent to be the advisor -- but if there is a good family friend, neighbor, scout leader, church member, etc., that shouldn't be too hard to find. Also, I'd suggest posting a new thread on this for more experience and advice, as I know of several families who are/have been involved with the Congressional Award. Warmest regards, Lori

The name of the programs are "Inside America's Service Academies" and then they have 3 different topics for each hour long program. They have been for sale on different websites, (about $15 for the 3) I learned on one of the parent blogs, or they show them on TV periodically. They were made pre 2001, so they have changed some things. They are still highly recommended because they start with the first year, and then follow people as they get farther along. There also is a "Military channel" that people get on cable in certain parts of the country (we don't get it so I haven't watched it) where they run this as well as certain other kinds of programs. HTH

• 4 weeks later...