Menu

Asthma Moms. . . Help!

My DD6 has cough-variant asthma. Lately, she has started having a lot of trouble with her asthma. She has never complained of difficulty breathing before, but now, complains nightly that she is having a hard time breathing. She did the peak-flow meter, and her breathing seemed great according to it. I gave her 4 days of oral steroids, and they didn't seem to have any effect. She is complaining that the albuterol isn't even helping that much. (She is getting the albuterol through the nebulizer). Last night, she told me her breathing difficulties started after she attended a program on microbes. She had attended a workshop for children on microbes at a nearby museum. Part of the experience was making slides of water laden with parasites. Of course, we thoroughly washed hands, etc., but she became ill that night with a fever, lethargy, etc. She was sick the next day, and then seemed fine, though apparently now, she points to it as the day breathing seemed increasingly difficult.

Any thoughts?

If your normal course of preventative, inhaler and steriods aren't helping her get better, I would go see her doctor. Let the doctor know what she's been exposed to. I'm sorry, asthma is so scary. Dh and my oldest dd both have it. :grouphug:

If the albuterol isn't helping, I'd get her to the doctor right away. Breathing problems are not to be messed with. I don't know anything about parasites, but it does seem like they may be related to this illness, given the start times.

ETA: I just looked up waterborne parasites and some of her symptoms match. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

Please, get her to a doctor right away.

Edited by perkybunch

I agree. I would take her to the dr preferably today before they close for the long weekend.

Though, it could be just coincidence the timing with the class. My DS is having major allergy issues right now that is triggering asthma attacks (also the coughing kind). He's had to add in a second allergy med to keep it under control. He takes singular year round and adds zyrtec during peak allergy season.

3 of my kids have the cough variant asthma- I would go see the Dr. I know with the steriod, it can take up to two weeks of constant use to make a difference, though we usually see help with it after 4 or 5 days, it is not a quick med like the albuterol.

Your Dr. might want to put her on a med to manage it between attacks, I would for sure go see the Dr.

By oral steroid you mean prednisolone? Is she on a daily preventative like budesonide? She may need a higher dose of budesonide. The prednisolone really should help right away though. I've been told if that doesn't do the trick to immediately go to the ER. So definitely go to the dr and request that she see a pulmonologist if she doesn't already.

To the doctor, stat. This can sneak up on you, and the line between 'having a little trouble' and 'not getting enough air' can be crossed fairly quickly in the deterioration is gradual.

:iagree: I have personally been in this situation. If it were my child I would get her seen by someone who knows how to treat children with asthma.

T