Menu

How Much to Pay Dog "Sitter"

We're looking at going out of town for a 3 day trip, and I'd like to ask our piano teacher whose yard backs up to ours to let our dogs out 3x/day while we're gone.

She's about 21ish and doesn't have a job (other than teaching my kids piano--she doesn't really have the experience to teach piano, but I wanted to help her out since she graduated w/a music degree and no job). I usually pay a 12 year old neighbor $3/visit, which is about $9/hour b/c she's here long enough to let them outside and give them food/water (hopefully at least 20 mins./visit).

I will pay the 21 year old more, but I'm also considering using her for a much longer trip (possibly 3 weeks), so I don't want it to be cost-prohibitive.

I've told her she can bring her dog over to play w/ours if she likes (we've already tried this and our dogs are 'ok' with this--hers loved it).

I'm thinking between $15/day for three visits. What do you think? It could net her about $350-375 over the longer trip.

Laura

Thanks Cathie. That lets me know that I'm not out of line for thinking $5/20 minute visit, especially since we're a minute away.

I'm surprised at your son's out of neighborhood prices. It seems like it would be more.

Anyone else?

THanks,

Laura

If it's more than a 15-20 minute drive (rare), he does charge more. His prices are low but the overwhelming majority of clients pay him more than he charges. He ended up staying low, because he thinks he does better in the long run. I tend to agree.