Menu

Photos of the American West of 150 years ago

Those are awe-inspriing and touching. In photos such as these, I can see why early Europeans thought God had sent them. I don't cow to the mindset, but it is unlike anything seen anywhere else. I know that some religious Europeans believed they *had* found the promised land. Coming from London, and other overcrowded cites, repressed regimes, and the Med cities bordering toxic waters, this part of the world must have been seen as unbelievably magical. That there were already people here would not have deterred folks from across the pond. They were used to war/conquest/more war/desperate lives. They had lived through the Plague years. They thought heaven was on their side. Wrong, any which- way you consider it, but right if you sit for a moment in their desperate heads, with them having survived centuries of European warrring, Feudilism, and Black Death, I do think they thought, in their desperation, that they were called. (How else to explain Mormonism?.)

I am actually surprised to see so many respectful pictures of natives. The European viruses and baceria killed more Natives than any war. Tragic ...sad...but not avoidable given that humans have always wanted to push their physical boundaries. Sadly, it was mostly only a matter of technical time.

Edited by LibraryLover