Menu

Funny inscription in a book from goodwill

The girls and I pick up books from thrift stores regularly. Yesterday we got "Fox in Socks" by Dr. Suess. It has a child's name and this inscription, I will quote and translate...."tack this book sloly. this book is dangoris" Take this book slowly. This book is dangerous. I read this and laughed. Then I read half the book and laughed harder since the warning was very appropriate!!! This is a tounge twister of all tounge twisters! I just loved how the little girl wrote that in the front, precious.

Very cute. But, if memory serves correctly, isn't that actually part of the book? On the very first page of the book, I believe there is that same "warning" written on one of those signs that Sam-I-am carries around. Or am I nuts? I'm going to try to pull out my copy of Fox in Socks now to check

Yup. Just checked. The very first page has hands (presumably the Fox's) holding a sign. It says: Take it SLOWLY. This Book is DANGEROUS. I'm guessing the first page was ripped off. I think it's cute that the child remembered that it was there and tried to write it back in.

Very cute. But, if memory serves correctly, isn't that actually part of the book? On the very first page of the book, I believe there is that same "warning" written on one of those signs that Sam-I-am carries around. Or am I nuts? I'm going to try to pull out my copy of Fox in Socks now to check

You beat me to it!

If that inscription came from my child I don't think I would have given the book away.

Her handwriting is like that of an early to mid first grader maybe. I didn't even think to criticize her spelling. My 2nd grader still doesn't have perfect spelling by far!

It doesn't have a picture of the fox holding the sign but the last page of the book has " the end now is your tonge num" hand written too that I just saw. I imagine it probably said that once upon a time.

At least the kid is reading and kind of reporting how the book is for the next person.

Her handwriting is like that of an early to mid first grader maybe. I didn't even think to criticize her spelling. My 2nd grader still doesn't have perfect spelling by far!

I think you misunderstood the pp. I think she meant that it would have been one of those things too special/cute to give away. That's how I took it, anyway, and for the record, I couldn't give it away either. :)

I think you misunderstood the pp. I think she meant that it would have been one of those things too special/cute to give away. That's how I took it, anyway, and for the record, I couldn't give it away either. :)

That is the bad thing about the stupid internet. You can't tell a person's tone. I never even thought they would want to keep it. I thought they would be embarrassed about the inscription. It is really cute to see it in big chunky letters as a warning.