Menu

Road Rage

I can't believe what happened to us on the way home from church yesterday. I'm still trying to process it. We live about 4 miles from our church. 3 miles of it is a two lane road/highway, where the speed limit is 55mph. Then we turn left onto a residential street (speed limit 25mph) before we get to the street where we live.

Dh was driving on the two-lane road,in our Prius, going exactly 55mph.(This is a heavily traveled and congested road, and it's not safe to go faster than 55 on that particular stretch.) A driver started tailgating him very closely, and seemed impatient. There was no opportunity for him to pass us, and no place for dh to pull over. When we got to our left turn, the driver sped around us on the right side, using the bike lane and gravel shoulder. We figured he was in a big hurry, and glad he was off our bumper. But then, he turned around, and followed us down the road we had just turned on, doing the same kind of stuff. Dh wisely did not turn on our street, but continued to a nearby grocery store parking lot. As we turned into the parking lot, the driver of the other car went by us, spitting out his passenger window at our car, then sped away.

We are scratching our heads at this one, :confused: and I'm still a bit shaken by the whole thing.

That kind of stuff gets me so upset. People are truly crazy! You never know what will set someone like that off and what they will do either. I have had some guy really mad at me because I stopped for an ambulance! Ummm, that's the law here. I pointed to the ambulance to show him why I was not taking off. If I took off, I might have blocked a road that the ambulance might have needed to turn onto. The law says to stop, so I do. I get so shaky when things like that happen. Really scary! I hate to drive sometimes because of how nutso the other drivers are.:grouphug:

People are so strange.

I glad he ended up just driving by and not getting out to actually come at you.

I had a guy hit the back of my car, because I stopped for a large tractor that was in front of me. He got out of his car and started yelling and cursing at me. He looked like he could have become physically violent, but then my dad stepped out of the car. The guy backed off. He was only prepared to attack a young pregnant woman, not another guy. :001_huh:

People are very scary!

I was followed by someone into a dept store parking lot, she proceeded to come to my car knock on the window and tell me what a bleep, bleep I was.

I had this happen in Maine, except it was a man and I was alone with my oldest DD. I didn't open the window and we droive right to the police station and filed a report.

That's SO scary. I'm so glad your dh was with you. I was by myself with all of the kids in the car and I apparently was not going fast enough for some guy. Not only did he cross over in a double yellow to pass me (while shouting obscenities out of his window), but once he did, he slammed on his brakes right in front of me. I had thankfully slowed down enough as he was passing, that I was able to anticipate his braking and avoid hitting him. It was scary.

A man my husband works with was driving to a job site in Boston when he possibly cut someone off. Not sure the specifics of who was in the wrong while driving but there was some yelling back and forth and the other guy gets out of his truck with a steel pipe and tried to whack his friend in the head but Joe had put up his forearm and the guy struck his arm. Shattered his arm and he had to have surgery.

Here's a sweet bit of vicarious vengeance for everyone. I was driving along at 45 in a 40 mph zone where this is the norm. Some idiot in a jacked-up pickup truck was tailgating so I put on my turning signal to get into the slow lane and out of his way. Well, I guess I wasn't quick enough, the fool passed me on the right. I was very lucky to see him in time and keep in my lane.

Sooo, he charges off as fast as he can....

right into a speed trap!!!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Here's a sweet bit of vicarious vengeance for everyone. I was driving along a 45 in a 40 mph zone where this is the norm. Some idiot in a jacked-up pickup truck was tailgating so I put on my turning signal to get into the slow lane and out of his way. Well, I guess I wasn't quick enough, the fool passed my on the right. I was very lucky to see him in time and keep in my lane.

Sooo, he charges off as fast as he can....

right into a speed trap!!!

:smilielol5:

I am so glad that happened!! There is hope after all!!:lol:

Smart DH for making a detour in a public location. That's really scary. Did you get the license plate number and contact police station? I don't get that behavior? It's a grown up version of bullying:confused: Too bad we don't have contact info on the license plates (call 800-drivers for critiques).

Hope you're feeling more settled and won't be threatened into driving unsafely on a narrow stretch of road.

Smart DH for making a detour in a public location. That's really scary. Did you get the license plate number and contact police station? I don't get that behavior? It's a grown up version of bullying:confused: Too bad we don't have contact info on the license plates (call 800-drivers for critiques).

Hope you're feeling more settled and won't be threatened into driving unsafely on a narrow stretch of road.

I didn't get the license plate b/c I was in the backseat holding a huge keyboard I had brought home from church. I did have my cellphone out, though, ready to dial 911 if necessary.

What I really don't get is, if the guy was in such a big hurry, why didn't he just keep going after he got around us? That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.