Menu

Should I send jury excusal letter by certified mail?

Yesterday I received a summons for jury duty. This is the first time I've ever gotten one so I'm not sure what to do. In my state I'm excused if I have a child under 6 and am not employed full time. I have two. So I need to send in my excusal form. Should I send this by certified mail? It goes to a PO Box....does that matter? The form says that if I send in the excusal and am not contacted back, then I am excused. What if it gets lost in the mail and they show up on my doorstep to arrest me??? LOL That's why I'm wondering if I should send it certified mail. What do you guys think?

My husband is the one home with the kids and we sent his by certified mail, but that was after he talked to someone at the office who really didn't seem to think that a dad staying home was legit and "couldn't promise" he'd be excused. (What does your wife do? Can't she just take the week off? Don't you have a babysitter?)

Since your jurisdiction has a clause excusing people who are caring for kids under 6, I would assume that it's a pretty usual situation. I'd just mail it normally and assume it's fine. I probably wouldn't even call to follow up.