Menu

Emotional in front of/with dh?

I do not like to be around or with my dh when I am emotional. For example, last March when I thought I was losing the pregnancy I drove myself to the hospital, went for tests and ultrasounds by myself because I needed to react privately whether in joy or grief. I was thankful dh wasn't with me when I cried out for the life of my baby (babies!) and had he been with me I would not have been able to even cry.

Tonight dh is at the store and I'm grateful for that because someone posted a photo of the tombstone of my sweet friend who passed away in December. Even though I know she is gone, seeing that picture made me hardly able to breathe. I had to cry but could not have done so if dh was here.

I'm OK crying with other women (unless it is a "forced" emotional situation such as a women's retreat...I detest those things) but I can't do so with my dh around. Is this strange? Or wrong?

It's not strange or wrong.

If you were my client, I'd ask questions about your Dad, especially, and your feelings about how men perceive range of emotion. I'd also ask you about your history with DH when you *do* show the grief-based emotions.

I prefer to feel, emote, and process solo. :grouphug:

Even if it is a little unusual, it can't possibly be wrong. There are no undeniable laws of the universe relating to crying!

I found emotional intimacy quite difficult when I was younger. I'm an introvert, so I don't imagine I'll grow out of it completely, but I've grown out of most. I used to have to hide my face under the doona during some conversations with dh so he couldn't look at me! The poor fella, he couldn't lip read with a blanket over my face, but he was patient. :lol:

So, if there is anything odd, you aren't the only odd one in the world. Except we probably aren't odd, since Joanne said we weren't. :D

:)

Rosie

As others have said, I don't think there's a right or wrong in this situation, but you might want to ask your dh how he feels about being excluded from your emotions. If it really bothers him, you may want to think about trying to include him a bit more when you're feeling emotional, but if both of you are fine with the way things are, I don't see any harm in it.

I will say, though, that I think my own dh's feelings would be quite hurt if I shared all of my emotions with friends, but not with him.

Except we probably aren't odd, since Joanne said we weren't.
Hooray! Thank you, Joanne! :D

but you might want to ask your dh how he feels about being excluded from your emotions.
I have asked him and he would like for there to be more emotional connection/interaction between us yet the problem is that when I'm emotional I want to just work through it and move on. He wants to "help". He tries to analyze and he's 110% wrong every time. Then I get more upset...it's not good.

I don't get emotional often yet when I do it's very intense and short-lived. I just need the meltdown, the floodgates open...like a microburst. I want to be in my own space and have the freedom to react in whatever way I want as well as the freedom to turn the spigot off, say, "OK, that's enough of that!" and go do a load of laundry without anything further being said or done.

My dh doesn't get that.

I don't mean to put up walls in my marriage and I surely don't intend to hurt my dh's feelings by opening up to friends more than to him, yet women just understand better (imo) the process of a meltdown.

And yes, I have tried approaching my dh and saying something to the effect of, "Honey, I need to talk about something but that's all I want, please. I don't want to hash this out or have you feel you have to fix anything. Just listen, let me cry, and that's it, OK?" He agrees but guess what? He just has to try and fix things. His "fixing" usually leds to more of a mess. ;)

I have asked him and he would like for there to be more emotional connection/interaction between us yet the problem is that when I'm emotional I want to just work through it and move on. He wants to "help". He tries to analyze and he's 110% wrong every time. Then I get more upset...it's not good.

Instruct him that the only correct response (the only way to FIX this) is "That's terrible! What ridiculous people! Of course you are right and if they were here, I'd give them a piece of my mind!" :D And reassure him that he doesn't have to say it truthfully. :lol:

:grouphug:

Rosie

There is no right or wrong here. Some men don't know how to react supportively. I also have a "microbust" (perfect term!) and then go do a load of laundry. It doesn't mean a think about the quality or value of your relationship with him.

I don't think you're wrong. I think your DH needs to accept that this is how you handle emotions. I'm assuming this is not a new behavior. You can still include him after your private time. However, I do think he has a right to be upset if you talk about serious, emotional situations with friends before him, most especially when they involve him. Just like you, he has his own way of handling emotional situations and both of you need to find a middle ground that respects your personal ways.

However, I do think he has a right to be upset if you talk about serious, emotional situations with friends before him, most especially when they involve him. Just like you, he has his own way of handling emotional situations and both of you need to find a middle ground that respects your personal ways.

:iagree:

I don't think there's a right or wrong in this.

What you feel can never be right or wrong.

I'm the opposite. DH is my go to person when I feel bad and need a shoulder to cry on, which happens a lot ;) I don't have anyone else in my life to do that with.

:iagree:I'm an extremely emotional person, but not many peole know that. My DH, however, knows it ALL. He is the only person that where I know that I can be 100% ME.