Menu

If you use the SOTW audiobooks can I ask...

Jennefer@SSA

How do you use these most effectively in your school? Do you first introduce the chapter using the audiobook? Do you read the chapter first and then do a review the next lesson using the CD?

I have purchased the audiobook to go along with Volume 2 and I can't wait to use them. I just wanted a few ideas to jumpstart the ol' brain!

TIA

I just let my children loose on the whole book. They listen to them many, many times by choice. They really enjoy them. I do only give them access to the volume that we are using that year. This year it's SOTW3 so I've put away SOTW1 and SOTW2.

We also focus on one chapter every week. When we get to a new chapter, the kids listen to that chapter (again) and take the test to prove to me that they are retaining the information. They usually don't have many problems getting the answers right because they've listened to the CD so many times already. We choose historical fiction to go along with our weekly chapter focus and maybe do an activity from the activity guide.

We listen to only one chapter a week. I put it on while they are coloring a picture of what they are hearing (DD 7 and 5) or DD (7) starts drawing (on a half blank, half lined page) to put in her note book. I do this so I can clean my kitchen! ( -; After we finnish one CD I let them listen to it as much as they want. They really love the CD's and only introducing one chapter a week keeps them looking forward to more. Enjoy!

My dd (almost 8) listens to SOTW CDs all the time. We are now at vol 3. I was going to keep it hidden until the fall to finally do history in an orderly way. She saw the CDs set and begged for it. My husband looked at me, "Are you crazy? Our daughter is begging for history! Give it to her!" :)

So she has vol 3 in her room and listens to it during rest time and before bed. Often she falls asleep. I guess it's history by osmosis for now.

I do plan to do vol 3 in a more orderly way this year. Honestly, the last 2 years haven't worked that way and history has been the CDs and the coloring pages from the activity guide. Not my perfect plan, but dd does know and love history!

- Sara

I just let my children loose on the whole book. They listen to them many, many times by choice. They really enjoy them. I do only give them access to the volume that we are using that year. This year it's SOTW3 so I've put away SOTW1 and SOTW2.

I gave the cds to the kids when we began that unit and turned them loose to listen at will. They primarily listen at bed time and tend to fall asleep while listening. I find that the extra familiarity helps when we begin that chapter. I do let the kids keep listening to the older SOTW cds as well. I think that helps them keep those topics fresh in their minds. It is a super easy means of reviewing previous units. And since we sometimes skip some chapters (due to time constraints not topic matter) it helps them get up to speed on those as well.

If you do decide to buy the audiobooks, Amazon has the best price I have found. Better than Rainbow Resource and Peace Hill Press even. Jim Weiss was at the homeschool convention I recently attended and he was selling them a what they called "Huge Discounts" and his price was still $15 more than Amazon!

Hope that helps.

We use them as a review. Mostly we listen to them in the car on our road trips. I found I liked reading it to the kids best the first time we studied it because I could stop and talk about everything as we went. I also found that I engaged at a higher level when I read it to them than listening. But, I love the CDs now that we are on our second rotation of history (using TOG), we listen to the chapters that correspond with our studies that week. The Middle Ages just took us through our 4000 mile road trip!! The whole family enjoys this.

Which tests do you use?

We use the tests from Peace Hill Press. Amazon and Rainbow Resource also sell them. We only have the test for volume 3 which are fill in the blank, multiple choice, true or false, and one answer using complete sentences. I've heard that the amount of written work required varies according to the volume.

We don't really use them as tests. I just have the kids listen to the chapter and then complete the test. If they miss any, I have them listen to the chapter again and correct the test.