Menu

Can someone tell me about Evan Moore History Pockets?

Sue G in PA

I want to do a mini-American History study of sorts this summer w/ my dc. They've been bitten by the Amer. Hist. bug after watching (and re-watching) National Treasure 1 and 2. I'm not interested in spending a boatload of time on it b/c I already have curriculum chosen for next year (MFW ECC). We won't get to the "real" American History year until 2010/11. But, I want to "strike while the iron is hot", KWIM? My ds10 is most interested in the American Revolution, Declaration of Independence and Civil War right now.

How long does each "pocket" take? A few week? Months? I just want something we can work on for a few weeks, about an hour each day. I saw that E-M has an Amer. Rev. pocket for 4th-6th grade. So, are these worth it? Fun? My ds10 is not that crafty but these look pretty simple...not like some of the lapbooks we've tried. Thanks!

I want to do a mini-American History study of sorts this summer w/ my dc. They've been bitten by the Amer. Hist. bug after watching (and re-watching) National Treasure 1 and 2. I'm not interested in spending a boatload of time on it b/c I already have curriculum chosen for next year (MFW ECC). We won't get to the "real" American History year until 2010/11. But, I want to "strike while the iron is hot", KWIM? My ds10 is most interested in the American Revolution, Declaration of Independence and Civil War right now.

How long does each "pocket" take? A few week? Months? I just want something we can work on for a few weeks, about an hour each day. I saw that E-M has an Amer. Rev. pocket for 4th-6th grade. So, are these worth it? Fun? My ds10 is not that crafty but these look pretty simple...not like some of the lapbooks we've tried. Thanks!

Well, my daughter and I found them to be rather repetitive. I know a lot of people obviously like them, but for us it became a drag. Have you seen on their website that you can view the whole book? When we did them, we completed a pocket in a week. Obviously it will vary depending on how much you do each day.

Yes, I second Genie's advice--all Evan-Moor books (I think all) can be viewed on line in their entirety.

We did some of the history pockets from their Ancients book in first grade--they were ok, but just a little supplement. 4-6 grade books may be a lot more indepth.

What about using Pioneer Sampler or Colonial Kids instead? These are great books that allow you to pick and choose activities.

I adore Evan Moore, they are about my fave, and we have done most of their books, seriously, in most of their series (unfortunately they only go throught 6th grade, and we are finishing up with almost everything we can use this year). This is our year for Amer Hist pockets. We are working on Explorers now, then Col. Amer, then Amer Rev, etc. Even if it says it is for younger, you can adapt it. I think they are younger, because I am not crafty, and it comes with everything, you just make copies, then your kids can cut it out (or you) and put it together. You can add projects if you want, and they can do the whole thing in a matter of weeks, short, or longer if you wish. You can look at them, which I love. I ask my B&N to order them for me, then I get my 20% off when I pick them up in store, and, somehow, they always look better in hand. I kind of think they don't let you the entire thing online at their site, from what I remember. I think they are well worth it. I bought theme studies at our hs convention, used, and thought I would skip these, but, after seeing them in person, felt I had to get them.