Menu

I'm just SO tired, and....

I have brain fog ALL THE TIME, and I think I've gained about 20 pounds in the past year and it's hard coming off this time. I just don't feel right. I know I need to go to the dr, but any other suggestions? I try not to eat too many carbs, ALWAYS makes me feel tired and in a foggy daze, and am going back to my whole foods approach, although I usually don't eat that bad anyway.

Honestly, it's SO hard to get out of bed in the morning! I skipped church today and stayed in bed until 11:00, which I NEVER do. And then I forced myself to work outside but the brain fog never subsided.

My thyroid was on the low end of normal last year and I was supposed to go back for bloodwork but I forgot. I know it can be this..... but can be so many things ! I know there's a direct link to carbs and how I feel. If I eat a high carb breakfast I'm basically toast for the rest of the day. This is getting hard!

Denise

:grouphug: It sounds like thyroid, but I'm not your dr. PLEASE go and get a full thyroid panel AND a physical. Could be low iron, could be a number of things. BUT, the fatigue and brain fog sound like thyroid. This is exactly how I feel when my thyroid is low. If you were on the low end of "normal" (and the standards have changed but many dr.s have not!) you very well could by hypo. Praying you feel better...but get thee to your dr.! :D

I used to feel this way. Over the years I've added a few supplements that have changed that for me. Every morning I take

Bcomplex

Alpha Lipoic Acid my newest addition

CoQ10 I love this. Its better than a cup of coffee

Every day and I am not nearly as tired as I once was.

Hth, Kimberly

I have brain fog ALL THE TIME, and I think I've gained about 20 pounds in the past year and it's hard coming off this time. I just don't feel right. I know I need to go to the dr, but any other suggestions? I try not to eat too many carbs, ALWAYS makes me feel tired and in a foggy daze, and am going back to my whole foods approach, although I usually don't eat that bad anyway.

Denise

I could have written the above paragraph! Yes carbs really mess me up.. and I didn't realize that until I went a month without them, then started eating them again! However, the brain fog & COMPLETE lack of energy for me was an iron problem. Once I started my daily iron, I was better overnight! Go get your blood workdone... it will tell you ALOT!

Very related to thyroid issues is adrenal fatigue. I dealt with this last year and it was horrible. I would wake up from 10 hours of sleep feeling like I got hit by a truck. An extremely helpful website that has a lot of information on both issues is stopthethyroidmadness.com. I know it can take a lot of time and energy to get to the bottom of the problem but it's well worth it if you can find some relief. Good luck!

I usually don't let my physicals slide, but I'm embarrassed at my weight gain (I know, stupid!) and I also just feel like it's always something, having a farm of animals, two who have been sick and needing tons of treatment, 4 people with pneumonia or bronchitis in the house, very, very sick parents, etc. So I let myself slide, which I know is wrong.

I've done the candida diet before and I'm sure it's what I should do again. But I really know I need to get to the dr. Just didn't know what to think about all this brain fog.

Thanks everyone!

Denise

Denise,

Given the situation with your adopted dd, I wonder if stress is causing some or all of the problem. Have you thought about taking 5-htp to boost your serotonin levels? Stress lowers serotonin. Low serotonin affects cognition, weight/cravings, sleep, mood, etc. 5-htp may help bring the levels back up to normal.

Last year, after three years with two RAD kids (one now healed, one still off-the-charts irritable), I started taking 5-htp, the precursor to serotonin. My mood was better (I got my sense of humor back!), I stopped craving carbs, I slept better, and was more alert.

It's worth considering -- unless you're on an SSRI med now. Before taking 5-htp, ask a pharmacist or your doc if you're on any meds.

HIH,

Lisa

P.S. Just last week, I realized that I've "seen" you on at least one attachment list I read. I'd never made the connection before. ;-)

I had undiagnosed Hashimoto's (low thyroid function) for years. I felt as though I had about 75% of the energy that I needed to get through life. Do you feel this way? No matter what I did, I gained weight (slowly). I had bloodwork done, too, but what really matters is who you get to interpret your results.

Go to a good endocrinologist. These can be hard to find. I know.

Long story short, I finally had such a diseased thyroid that I had several biopsies, none of which were conclusive in ruling out cancer (history of papillary carcinoma in my mother's side of the family). I had my thyroid out, and they did find cancer, but it was sub-centimeter and encapsulated. I had the radioactive iodine isotope treatment, and have been declared cancer-free for a few years now. I take a thyroid replacement hormone (Synthroid) every day, one pill at night before bed.

You need to do for yourself and your family the right thing -- find out what is going on with your body and health. I feel great now, and only wish I hadn't suffered for years before getting help.

Hope you feel better! :grouphug:

Not anymore. When ds and dd came home from India, we were hsing our bio dd. The chaos from having two attachment-challenged kids was too much, and bio dd asked to go back to school.

Ironically, middle dd, who is the most "challenged" one, is the one who would benefit most from homeschooling (to catch up academically). Unfortunately, she's so stressful to parent and so rejecting/rude/oppositional that I can't imagine having her home all day. She's an angel at school. <sigh>

I hang around here mainly b/c I made a few friends on the list. <g>

In terms of the 5-htp, I took 900mg/day -- in three divided doses. (300mg before each meal.) 200 isn't that high! ;-)

Go to your doctor. Make an appointment right now. I bet it's nothing horrible, but you'll feel so much better if you just go, figure out what's wrong and take care of. I'm talking from experience here.

Based on your symtoms and my experience with similar symptoms I would worry about:

1. thyroid disease

2. perimenopause/menopause (don't know how old you are)

3. PCOS (poly cystic ovarian symdrome)

4. adult onset diabetes (carb issues)

All of these things can be treated simply and naturally, you just need to know what to treat.

Good luck...call the doctor!:)