Menu

Suggestions needed for summer reading for a rising 8th grader who reads below level

ereks mom

HV reads below level (probably 6th grade level at best) and does not enjoy reading very much. I want to assign her books to read over the summer, and I know that if they aren't books she can enjoy, there will be excuses and she won't read them. (Remember, she's not my child; she's the dd of a friend.)

The only books she likes even a little are fantasy stories (she liked Bruce Coville's Unicorn Chronicles--the first 2, anyway) or teen romance (think Disney movie novelizations). However, I'm not sure these are really quality literature. :glare:

So, I need books that are fun, but yet not twaddle, 5th-6th grade reading level & 8th-9th grade interest level. Also, if they're too "thick", she will be intimidated and won't want to read them. What can you suggest?

I suggest taking her to a bookstore or library and letting her choose, perhaps with some help from a librarian if at library. If she can get hooked on a series , she may read a lot and her reading may improve, even if it is not your top choice for content. My son (much younger) is currently hooked on Rick Riordan's Carter Kane trilogy, which started with the Red Pyramid (it is over 500 pages long, but not very hard reading) which is fantasy with bits of teen romance mixed in, plus Egyption myth, and could appeal to her too perhaps. It is very hard to put down once started. You could perhaps read the start of that or something else to her, and maybe that would get her intrigued to continue. Something like that might then lead to something of a higher level of challenge.