Menu

Something's wrong with me!

BeckyFL

I keep buying curriculum. Soon I'm going to have everything known to man on my shelf. I have what I need then I see the Drive Thru History... I buy it. Reading about Learning Through History magazine... I have to have 3 back issues. On and on! I think I have a sickness! UGH!:confused:

LOL...maybe you can do what a woman in my homeschool group has done. She has established what she calls a "A Living Library" and she has approx. 6000 books. She has opened this up to the local homeschool community here and you can check things out just like a library. Amazing!

GVA had a rule she had posted a while back about waiting a certain period of time, say 3 days or a week, before buying any given thing. Not that it eliminates bad purchases, but it helps... Or put it in your amazon or RR cart and then forget it... Or write it on a list and lose the list... Or take a break from the boards. I mean I don't know if you're stretching it to be fun, or if you really mean you buy every new thing that gets mentioned. You really don't want to strain your marriage with this or put yourself in a bind, kwim? Gotta have some way to draw limits.

I've got it too. Lately I've been saying, "Don't even look. Well, I'll just go and have a look at the sale boards. I know I'm not buying. I've bought so much recently. But, oooh look, I've been wanting that and it's a good price." I must be stopped. I think I've bought enough for several years,but some days we'll do a few weeks worth in a day. And then I think, "How much did I spend to use that for how long??" but I do love it ,there is so much cool, interesting stuff out there.

Hi, I am Samantha and I too have this addiction.

Though I have been going through my shelves and getting rid of everything that we are not using or will not use. I have been putting them in piles and then going through the piles for 5 min each day and then put the book in the garage to either be sold or given away. It has helped some. (I keep going in the garage and putting them back on the shelf, lol)

I have found the cure...

a BUDGET!!!!

I only get x amount of dollars to spend on groceries, homeschooling books, etc. each month. If I spend it then it's gone.

The only problem is that we end up with bare cupboards at the end of the month.;) (I tend to 'steal' grocery money for homeschooling stuff!)

I had it bad for years. But to some extent it has burned itself out. I have bought and sold so much- but at least I know what people are taking about around here, and what most of the acronyms are referring to!

Buying 2nd hand is helpful. It costs less when you realise you cant use all the stuff you have bought. You lose less on resale- less difference between your buying and selling prices.

Nowadays i am more into buying Living, Classic Books than curriculum, and I love searching high and low for a good bargain. My shelves are stacked.

There is one guy- I think his last name is Davis, he wrote an Angel in the Marble- and I love what he says- buying curriculum is part of a homeschooling parent's teacher training. Because what other training do we have, if we havn't done this before? Although it can get compulsive and addictive, (and its so much more fun, and easier, to buy curriculum that teach the kids day in day out!) I think we need to be gentle with ourselves about the apparent wasteage. We all want the best for our kids, and its hard to know what is going to work and what isn't, for us, for our kids, without making quite a few mistakes first.

I am actually glad I have seen and used a lot of what is out there. Its out of my system!

I have learned, nothing replaces the teacher. Still, the right materials can make the job easier.

GVA had a rule she had posted a while back about waiting a certain period of time, say 3 days or a week, before buying any given thing. Not that it eliminates bad purchases, but it helps... Or put it in your amazon or RR cart and then forget it... Or write it on a list and lose the list... Or take a break from the boards. I mean I don't know if you're stretching it to be fun, or if you really mean you buy every new thing that gets mentioned. You really don't want to strain your marriage with this or put yourself in a bind, kwim? Gotta have some way to draw limits.

I had almost talked myself into switching to TOG. It helps that Year 3 is not available yet. :) That gave me the time I needed to back away, really think about it, then come to my senses.

Now let's not talk about children's books. THAT'S my addiction. :)

you are not alone. I have ALOT of curriculum. My husband just started a remodeling company after a very high paying job. We are struggling to make ends meet while we are in the beginning phases of the is new venture. My hubby made the comment that if we get really desperate that we can just sell the curriculum sitting on my shelf and live for years:lol: Well, I did not think it was funny at the time!!!

Little does he know that I am going through curriculum buying withdrawl because there is not any money to buy anything;)

There is nothing more sad than a curriculum buying junkie without any money to quench my addiction.... SIGH:lol::lol::lol:

Sooooo, if you see me selling anything, please know that we are trying to buy groceries:lol::lol:

Homeschool Curriculumitis. It is a common affliction here.;) There is no cure.

:lol:

I think we have all experienced some degree of Curriculumitis. I see things that interest me but after searching them out further, I see things differently. Sometimes it's a neat find but mostly, it's something that doesn't fit us.

GVA had a rule she had posted a while back about waiting a certain period of time, say 3 days or a week, before buying any given thing. Not that it eliminates bad purchases, but it helps... Or put it in your amazon or RR cart and then forget it... Or write it on a list and lose the list... Or take a break from the boards.

I am in the process of doing this exact thing. I've had some items in my shopping cart on Amazon, Christian Book, and Answers in Genesis for a few days now. I've been updating my lists over the course of these past few days... added, deleting and prioritizing. I love that some sites have the wishlist feature so you can save your selections for later... this helps me with the prioritizing.

BTW...who posted the christianbook.com free shipping code... they're in big trouble with my wallet!

Homeschool Curriculumitis. It is a common affliction here.;) There is no cure.

I thought there was, and it was called "Husband.";)Rosie

With these lists I was just typing about... I finally decided to have my husband review them and give his 2 cents. Most times he agrees with what I've selected, but he is definitely my voice of reason when I can't make a decision.

I had it bad for years. But to some extent it has burned itself out. I have bought and sold so much- but at least I know what people are taking about around here, and what most of the acronyms are referring to!

Buying 2nd hand is helpful. It costs less when you realise you cant use all the stuff you have bought. You lose less on resale- less difference between your buying and selling prices.

Nowadays i am more into buying Living, Classic Books than curriculum, and I love searching high and low for a good bargain. My shelves are stacked.

There is one guy- I think his last name is Davis, he wrote an Angel in the Marble- and I love what he says- buying curriculum is part of a homeschooling parent's teacher training. Because what other training do we have, if we havn't done this before? Although it can get compulsive and addictive, (and its so much more fun, and easier, to buy curriculum that teach the kids day in day out!) I think we need to be gentle with ourselves about the apparent wasteage. We all want the best for our kids, and its hard to know what is going to work and what isn't, for us, for our kids, without making quite a few mistakes first.

I am actually glad I have seen and used a lot of what is out there. Its out of my system!

I have learned, nothing replaces the teacher. Still, the right materials can make the job easier.

I bought a few new/used things from an all-in-one curriculum, decided it wasn't for us and have sold most of it. As someone had suggested, it isn't the worst or the best way to accomplish what we want to do - just unnessessary. I even went to a showing, but it wasn't till I had it at home and could look through it that I made this decision. I then got a look at the bigger picture and realized how much more and better is available out there. Hence, my online shopping carts and wishlists waiting for some attention.

I have been researching curriculum ever so much that my brain is on overload at times... but oh, how fun! As Peela stated, at least I know what people are taking about around here, and what most of the acronyms are referring to. I'll be utilizing the library ever so much more and trying to check out books for our future curriculum before buying.

BTW, did I mention that we are just going to be starting our homeschool journey? - PreK in the fall - So I can see that I will be in the same boat as many of you on this topic... it's already bittersweet!

Melissa

My cure: research, time to think and seek out samples, knowledge about teaching/learning styles, getting other hsler's opinions (good, bad, ugly) and a list of other things I'd rather buy.

Honestly, give me any program and I'll make it work for us in some way but do not take from me the ability to buy manipulatives, kits and fun stuff. That's where I get into trouble, not so much the curriculum- the fun stuff.