Menu

potentially stupid question for those of you who used HWT in pk/kinder

craftyerin

We have been using HWT for PK, having a blast with all the manipulatives, not doing very much pencil-to-paper writing at all. And now, I've got an almost 5yo who is getting ready to start phonics and reading, and only recognizes uppercase letters with consistency. OPG, PP, etc work with lowercase letters. Easiest way to get him (them, as my others are just a year younger) up to speed? Play uppercase/lowercase matching games, watch more letter factory, and get a lowercase set of fridge magnets? That should be sufficient right? I don't care if he knows how to write the lowercase letters yet. I just need him to know what they are, and associate them with their uppercase counterparts, right?

I just made a game for dd2 using Easter eggs. I put the capital on one side and the lower case on the other and she has to match them like a puzzle. We also have a homemade Bingo board. Capitals on the paper, square cut outs of the lower case and they just match it up.

We didn't do anything in particular - Starfall, alphabet books like Chicka Boom Boom, fridge magnets, etc. from Pre-K all led to my kids recognizing both consistently by the time they were in K. We treated handwriting just totally separately.

Agreeing with you and the others.

Teach the sounds as you teach the lower case letters, then they'll already be known when you start formal phonics. And remember, it's ok to not start OPG or whatever until Oct, Nov or whenever. It doesn't have to be on the first day of "school" if the child isn't ready.