Menu

Writing Road to Reading - Rec. Ed.?

elfinbaby

I have the 5th edition and it took me a long time (with extra online reading) to understand the approach. I have read on this forum, that the 5th edition is geared towards classroom teachers and that the 4th edition, which was the last one authored by Romalda Spalding, is easier for homeschooling parents to understand and use.

Only one forum member has posted about having the 6th edition and it is said to be an improvement on the 5th. So, if you can get the 3rd or 4th edition used, it would be good.

I got the 4th edition used, and it makes sense. I have the 6th edition now too, which has better cursive handwriting instructions. I haven't yet read through it to see if you could use it without the teacher guides or not. It seems smaller than the 4th edition (even with the 4th edition's cards removed).

Oh, and I HATE the texture of the cover on the 6th edition. I keep feeling like there is dirt or dust on it, because it's a bit rough. Very weird. Creeps me out. :lol:

Maybe later today, I'll pull out both editions and attempt to compare them.

Oh, and I HATE the texture of the cover on the 6th edition. I keep feeling like there is dirt or dust on it, because it's a bit rough. Very weird. Creeps me out. :lol:

:lol: I agree!!

I only have the 6th edition so I can't compare editions, but I believe I could teach the spalding method just fine having read only the 6th one. Although maybe there are some gems of information that I am unaware of in the older editions.

:lol: I agree!!

I only have the 6th edition so I can't compare editions, but I believe I could teach the spalding method just fine having read only the 6th one. Although maybe there are some gems of information that I am unaware of in the older editions.

The only thing missing from the fifth and sixth editions is Chapter VI. That's the one where a couple of classroom teachers explain how they implemented Spalding in their classrooms with regard to how many spelling words per week and daily, and how they did review at the end of the year. Otherwise, it's all in there. And as long as we are here on TWTM, I can tell you what they did, 'cuz I still have my fourth edition. :D