Menu

Do we give money? (grad notice from casual-type neighbor)

We are friendly in a casual way but not close friends. They've borrowed yard tools, we've sold them Girl Scout cookies, they've sold us school/band fundraisers, etc. We say "hi" if we see each other out in the yard. That's about it.

So, now we've gotten a high school graduation notice from their oldest. They'll have 3 more graduations over the next few years so we will be setting a precedent with this one.

Do we give money (if so, how much)? Just a congrats card? What's the proper response?

:confused:

I grew up in a small town. Graduated from high school and our graduating class was less than 90 people. That being said, I got gifts from my neighbors and co-workers of my mother -- along with family and close friends sending cards and gifts. Just the way our town dynamic worked and made everyone glad to live there. Small town life!

Years later, when I got married, I also got wedding gifts from the same neighbors who kept track of my progress via mom (I lived in another state) and the town newspaper's announcements of my college graduation and engagement. I was surprised at the thoughtfulness of their gift and 25 years later, find it very sweet.

Are they having an open house? Here, the announcement usually comes with an open house invitation, and then you go to the open house and bring a card with a small amount -- really, some people just put $5 in it, and for them it's generous. It's just our small town tradition. Usually, the amounts range from $5 - $20. But this is done if you actually KNOW the person or family! Sometimes we send announcements/open house invitations to people who live in our neighborhood but we don't know well, because it's a small town and we want people to feel included. But we certainly don't expect them to give anything! In fact, there are always people who come with just a card and no money, and that's always appreciated too. My kids have gotten cards with just a kind word in it, and have been touched by that.

I guess some people budget more disposable spending in their budget then I do. Right now the amount is zero that is not absolutely needed. When the budget is looser we might be able to squeeze out $40 in any given month towards gifts but if it is unexpected, someone we are not close to and didn't expect, then I don't give money. Likewise I wouldn't send out invitations to random people and except money or gifts.

I will say that I graduated in 2001 and nobody ever gave me a single graduation gift or any money, so I might be biased.

I'm sorry.

I went to one party, and it was the first high school grad in awhile (family tended to get preggers early and drop out). Everyone brought amounts in a single dollars and he was "showered" with it. It was all rather fun. My Ex and I gave him a *very* nice leather wallet, but everyone else gave single bills. (And I've never seen him again, but I'm glad we were generous, as his mother keeled over dead about 3 years later. It was her that I knew.)

Just wondering if you decided what to do. We just received invitations to open houses for two neighborhood graduates. One is the older brother of my son's closest friend in the neighborhood and one is the house next to us. I do think we will go (briefly) to the open houses. Not sure what to do for a gift though.

I'm sorry.

I went to one party, and it was the first high school grad in awhile (family tended to get preggers early and drop out). Everyone brought amounts in a single dollars and he was "showered" with it. It was all rather fun. My Ex and I gave him a *very* nice leather wallet, but everyone else gave single bills. (And I've never seen him again, but I'm glad we were generous, as his mother keeled over dead about 3 years later. It was her that I knew.)

It's ok. I wasn't expecting anything, honestly. I had a pretty strange upbringing. But I think my mom gave me a card, but nobody else in my very large family and certainly no friends of the family even so much as called. I was pretty floored when I heard what everyone else got in my graduating class. Of course, I was a single mom when I graduated (I had my dd senior year and still graduated on time and with good grades), so I guess I wasn't very worthy anyway.

Just wondering if you decided what to do. We just received invitations to open houses for two neighborhood graduates. One is the older brother of my son's closest friend in the neighborhood and one is the house next to us. I do think we will go (briefly) to the open houses. Not sure what to do for a gift though.

I wonder if the open house is a regional thing. I've never heard of it. Anyway, this was just a graduation announcement, not an invite to anything.

DH delivered a card with a $20 in it to the boy. I really liked the idea of a $20.12 check but DH prefers to give cash.

Pegasus