Menu

What's the Class of 2010 doing?

Halftime Hope

That was my dd's year, and I feel like we moms were a bit of a family on this board, rooting for and cheering each other on as our kiddos worked through the college choice journey that year.

When dd called to tell me she had finished her last exam a week ago, I cheered and pronounced her a junior. I didn't realize that would be such a surreal moment for her, as she had been having "time flies" shock.

So how are your 2010 students doing? And what are they up to?

Oldest is working at his college this summer and filling in with odd jobs around the area. He has a girlfriend now (met her over spring break when they came here) and they are planning on getting engaged this fall.

The news has its pros and cons... I'm glad he's happy (and she's quite nice), but some of his grades suffered last semester after having been struck by cupid. Time will tell if he can come up with the finances to stay in college next fall due to needing to come up with more than he's needed before (GPA fell). We're planning on letting him see how the real world operates (and couldn't come to his rescue financially even if we wanted to considering the amount he would need).

He's enjoying his wings and doesn't regret his school choice or plan for his future at all. I'm curious to see if girlfriend is the "overseas" type though... if not, and they change plans, so be it. There are many paths that equal success in my book.

He's also doing quite well with "playing" the market (games that play the market). He's been in 3 of these and always finished in the top 1% with financial earnings. It has me wondering if he's going to see that as his future instead. He says, "no" to that right now, but one has to wonder.

I look forward to hearing about others!

DD has two years of chem/pre-med under her belt and has ultimately decided not to attend med school. She may, at some point, consider certified nurse midwife through University of Michigan. But, she ADORES chemistry.

She is not going back next semester because she would need a small student loan and is entirely against it. Since she was working part-time as a paramedic (the girl is soooooo type A personality and managed 18 credits hours of college work and paramedic school at the same time), she opted for full-time with health benefits (very, very nice package). She's going to work for two years and then go back with a lot of money saved. She's currently hanging at grandma and grandpa's house instead of ours because they work during the day and she works nights so no one is there to interrupt her sleep. Her brothers seem to be genetically incapable of quiet and the dog is incorrigible in this department!

She has a 4.0 so far.

I would imagine her future will always include some part time paramedic work because she is passionate about it. But, she's talked about going to work for DOW Chemical when she graduates. We'll see....there is a boy currently in the picture and well, she wants a family and would like to homeschool too. She also wants to get her flight paramedic certification and water rescue as well. In another four years, she'll begin studying for her paramedic instructor license.

We are immensely proud of her.

We haven't spent enough time yet with said young man to have a true impression yet. He's an art student at an art school in Philadelphia and as a result, since they've met, this has been a long distance relationship. She was nearly engaged about a year ago, but that young man was intensely clingy and not at all cut-out for her current chosen career of paramedic. He couldn't handle the long shifts, shifts that ran over and were unpredictable, her crew transporting inmates, drug addicts, drunks, etc. He just flipped out a little tooooo much, and tried to manipulate her into giving it up. Though she was deeply attached, she had to break it off...so she's taking this one quite slowly.

Faith

Good grief! My daughter just informed me that she was the class of 2009! Oh my word....I must be losing my mind and COULD SOMEONE SLOW THE CLOCK DOWN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

dd1 just came home on Thursday. She'll be here for a couple of weeks and then returns to Montreal for June and possibly July. She is taking a summer reading course in Greek drama and also stage managing the Montreal Fringe production of Hippolytos -- this year's classics play. She also hopes to find more time to work on her French.

Although she graduated in the class of 2010, she's now a senior as a result of credits for her APs.

Next year will be busy, she's directing the annual classics play: Philoctetes in a new translation that the students are making. She's editor for the classics journal, VP events for the classics students association, and will also be applying to graduate school -- oh yes, she's also taking just a few courses :D

~Moira

Our 2010 graduate has had a wonderful 2 years and still quite pleased with his college selection. Ds has plugged into a wonderful community of friends and faculty. He is a math/cs/humanities major in the honor's college and sticking with it. haha Ds has done undergrad research both years and presented his research to state's MAA section this spring. Tutoring with the academic success center has been his side job both years. Next week, he is heading to Massachusetts for a summer research project at another college - nice stipend, travel, housing included. Then back to his school in the fall, after a quick week at home, for his junior year.

We cannot believe that 2 years have flown by either! DS has been a very hard working student making the most of all his opportunities but the school selection, in the end, has brought out the best in him.

Now to find the "right" school for ds #2 who is a rising senior!

Our 2010 grad is finishing her 2nd year in a BSN (nursing) program. She lived on campus but is only an hour away, so we frequently fed and entertained all of her friends. :) She entered college with 18 credits from CLEPs and online classes which enabled her to complete a music minor as well.

This summer, oddly enough, she is going to earn income by raising and slaughtering chickens. She paid her brothers to raise the first batch and they'll be ready for slaughter early in June. She hopes to raise 2 more batches and sell them to fund her expenses during the school year.

She was unable to get a job this summer due to the fact that she had to attend a three week "May term" for nursing clinicals, get her wisdom teeth pulled, be maid of honor at sister's July wedding, and return to school a week early for training to be a group leader for freshmen.

Unbelievable, isn't it, that our 2010s have finished their sophomore year of college!

My son is heading off to Britain this summer where he will be digging. He went to college with the intention of becoming an archaeologist and has not switched majors. What has opened up to him are new worlds... He sees more than classical archaeology in his future.

He has been flying back and forth to college but asked us to pick him up at the end of this second year. He had accumulated a number of books and things that he wanted to shift home. This gave us the opportunity to meet friends and some parents of friends--wonderful! I'm thrilled that my son is having the full LAC experience!

I was just lurking on the high school board in 2010 (my oldest homeschooler was an 8th grader and I was watching feverishly for ideas!), but I really enjoyed reading about all your adventures that year with college applications and senior year!

My 2010 grad (not homeschool) is at USAFA and spending part of the summer at an air force base in Nevada and then later on working at the basic training for incoming cadets. We won't see him until mid-July when he gets a few weeks off before fall classes start.

I should mention that you folks on the High School board were a life-saver when DD18 decided to homeschool her senior year. I was suddenly faced with planning high school courses for her and it was WONDERFUL to have all the knowledge here. We also got great advice on music auditions for college and such here. THANK YOU!

I didn't post anything in this thread earlier b/c I think most of you have heard the partying coming from this quarter, and you may be a bit tired of it. :lol:

However, today was her first day, and it will be interesting to see how it went, both the commuter life (4+ hours getting from home to work and back), and the job. The one redeeming feature is that the commuter bus should be relaxing and it has wi-fi, so she can decompress.

This is me: :bigear:

Thinking 10 years into the future: her children may never see a yard if she and future hubby have urban jobs, after this summer's commute. LOL!

My ds who graduated in 2010 has yet to attend college as a full-time student, but he has been working full-time (48 hours a week) and has been working on his car (engine, body work, and painting). After this past work week, he has said that he thinks he would like to go to college this fall. :party: He will only be able to attend the Community College, but at least he's considering it!

CollegeMan has completed two years in Honors, taking an extra sophomore class required by the Honors program in addition to two full years now of Chem...he started as a Bio major but loves Chem so much that he changed majors to Chemistry. In fact, he got some award for best Organic Chem student this year (one of the few getting A's in it). He started proctoring freshmen lab courses this year - and also is doing research for a professor who got a grant. I am not a science person at all and just imagine them as Mad Scientists...or Potions Masters ;)

He is home now for summer, and starting his second summer as a "field hand" at the local CSA (also known as "getting my Walden on"). He hopes to go to Texas next summer for some science intern thing.

Today the next in line graduated high school!

It really IS hard to believe they're halfway through their college careers.:001_huh:

My dd is designing her own major, it's something like language acquisition and linguistics. This summer she'll do SAT prep again at the inner city school where I tutor. She's heading to England for study abroad next year.

Edited by readwithem

• 3 weeks later...

Waving hi to everyone!

My 2010 daughter is just wrapping up her last final exams, packing up her room, and transporting everything to summer storage this week - oh, the joys of the quarter system.

She's decided on a double major in math & computational science (an interdisciplinary program) and Classics with Latin. She's still undecided on her future plans (yikes), still likes studying just about everything, still values learning over grades...kind of like her momma, so I can't say too much.;)

This summer she'll be a camp counselor at MathPath camp in Massachusetts, supervising the oldest group of girls and hoping to teach a class on the mathematics of computer science (discrete mathematics and computability theory). Next fall, she'll change gears completely for a semester abroad in Rome at an intercollegiate Classics center with fellow students from all over the US. I wish that I could tag along! She's wanted to see Rome ever since her first year of homeschooing in the second grade, studying ancients a la WTM.:)

Like everyone else, I can't believe she's halfway through college!

My ds has done a stint in NYC, teaching aquatics, did some community college and is now back home working HVAC / Plumbing and returning to school in the fall. He works lots of hours, is boxing and kick boxing ( boxing runs in our family...dh's GF was a featherweight Champ and dad also boxed). He is looking into some personal training certs, long boards and basically has fun, but also works hard to earn a good living.

My next in line graduated from High School today....it was official...Letter of Completion in hand!!! yay!!! He is going on a mission trip in July....and he will be studying Water Treatment and Water Science.

next dd will be starting High School in a few weeks!! no rest for the weary!