Menu

4th vs 5th ?

How much difference is there between 4th and 5th grade ?

I am asking because when I look at materials, it seems like there is some sort of big leap between 3rd and 4th, but I'm having a hard time seeing a lot of difference between 4th and 5th.

I have a kid with some challenges, who may not be totally ready for 4th grade material by this fall, although I'm going to work like heck and do my best to get him as close as possible by fall. I do not want to do a "transition year" but will probably ease into 4th grade stuff gradually. But looking ahead beyond the 4th grade materials I am not seeing huge differences. I am wondering if I make 4th and 5th grade sort of blend together as a continuum of intense focus on writing (his most challenging area) and keeping up in math, if he could finish the 5th grade year "caught up" even if I never make a jump between 4th and 5th grade but just maintain the focus on progress in writing skills and math... ?

Is there supposed to be a jump between 4th and 5th that I am missing ? When I think back to my own elementary school days, I don't remember one. I remember the jump between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 6th - nothing going from 4th to 5th. All I remember about 5th grade was being really really bored with elementary school and ready to get out of there.

I guess it depends a lot on what materials you are looking at and what grade you decide to use them in.

I feel that with TWTM, there is more of a jump between fourth and fifth. Writing and outlining is a jump, and there is a higher level in some of the reading materials and how they are used.

I have noticed that with workbooks I bought from Barnes and Noble-Spectrum, and Harcourt. In fact, the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade all seemed similar to me and left me scratching my head.

When I look at math workbooks, at B&N and at Rainbow Resource, I feel I see a lot of overlap as well. I'm having a hard time choosing math curriculum for next year because I don't know if I should just skip a grade. My boys are finishing up 3rd grade and when i look at 4th grade math, I think, well they know that already. Even from the same program (we are using Horizons).

I noticed the same thing with math.. Even with Singapore. It's just the same topics over and over and over again.

:iagree: When we did mathletics I logged into my teacher account to move DD up a grade. When I logged back into hers her grade was changed but almost half the topics were marked already done because they were exactly the same as the previous grade!

Whew...glad someone else asked! LOL

We are coming home and I have one going into 5th grade. Trying to place him in stuff and I keep getting the feeling he's in 5th grade half a year... Then I've checked my others... Same with my one going into 2nd. I keep getting the feeling he is 2nd and half. Frustrating.

Hmm. I haven't really looked at the math details. DD1 is going through Saxon in order. For the rest, she's going to have a pretty big jump, particularly in writing and reading. I also expect more thorough and detailed work and conversation in science and history.

Looking back, ds went from 4th grade ps to 5th grade public cyber charter and there was a jump, but they placed him in advanced an honors courses. I suppose dd'sexpectations might be considered "honors" in some ways. (Not in spelling, that's for sure, lol!)