Menu

Is Analytical Grammar as thorough as R&S?

Lenora in MD

My dd 11, 6th grader, is currently using Queen's Language Lessons. She completed most of R&S4 last year and we decided to take a break this year because it was getting tedious for both her and me. I did think it was very thorough however and she did fine with it. Next year she will be in 7th grade. If I go back to R&S, what grade should I get? 5th or 6th? She did not learn much new this year with Queen's. Also, since grammar seems to take up so much time for both of us, I was also considering Analytical Grammar. It sounds very efficient. It is as thorough as R&S? Grammar is not my strong point, so I feel very unsure here.

Thanks!

Greetings!

I can't compare R&S to AG, but I wanted to say that it is a bit of comparing apples to oranges. While AG will cover *some* grammar components (what about mechanics and usage?), R&S is a complete English program. This means that in addition to grammar, the student will also cover some poetry (I am poetry-challenged so I appreciated those doable lessons) and composition topics ranging from simple reports to outlining to oral introductions to business letters and more.

It may be that you are not looking for a full English program--although I think R&S is especially well-suited to upper elementary (4-6/7th grade)--we've taken breaks (Daily Grams is great for a quick daily mini-refresher).

So think about what you are *really* desiring. If you get AG, will you need/want to supplement for composition and basic mechanics? If you go with R&S, will you skip the composition? It is best to think of your goals and *choose the program* that will get the job *you* want done.

I prefer to teach "English" comprehensively in grades 1-6 (Primary/Intermediate Language Lessons 1-3, R&S 4-6), and then hit grammar *intensively* in the Jr. High years (they get it via specific grammar texts, composition program, Latin--grammar is foundational to so many things...) In high school we use Abeka worktexts (grammar only portion) at half-speed (1 text over two years) to keep things fresh for testing purposes. R&S would work as well, but worktexts are easier with all the *other* writing a highschooler is assigned). I've been pleased with the above progression and have used it with four of my five children (the eldest was the guinea pig, poor thing!).

Best wishes on finding your way,

Vicki in Montenegro

Mom to 5 (2 in college!)

The entire 3rd season of AG covers usage and mechanics. All the comma rules, common usage errors, subject/verb and pro/antecedent agreement, adverb vs. adjective, etc.

Season 1 - basic grammar (parts of speech, parts of a sentence, basics of diagraming)

Season 2 - advanced grammar (verbal phrases and subordinate clauses) (this completes the study of grammar)

Season 3 - application of grammatical knowledge to the rules of capitalization, punctuation and usage

Cheers,

Erin at AG

I would really like a complete program, that includes grammar and writing. Could I just use R&S for that? And since my daughter will be going into 7th grade, would R&S be enough? And what level would I put her in, she finished most of 4th grade last year, with a break this year. Would I start with the 5th, 6th, or 7th grade text?

We started R&S in 6th grade with the 6th grade book. We had done Abeka 5 before that - which covered as much as Pred. Adj, Pred Nom, IO and DO. (But always in non-complex sentences.)

R&S 6 was a stretch at times, but mostly comfortable. It required more mastery, and dealt with complex sentences.

This year we're doing R&S-7, and I can't imagine trying to do the "review" at the beginning of the book without having first gone through R&S-6. It is a BIG stretch at times, even having done R&S-6.

I think the recommendation from the Corrections page on the website states to start an older student in R&S-6, and that worked well for us.

hth,

Rhonda