Menu

MUS Pre Algebra **or** TT Pre Algebra

Ds is in the same place. We do both MUS and TT. MUS for mastery and TT for review. If you don't want to do two programs, I'd stick with MUS through pre-algebra and then decide to switch or not. That way you've completed the full scope of elementary math. At least that's where I'm at.

Well my dd is using the TT pre-algebra, and I can tell you why she enjoys it. It's turning out to have explanations that are really interesting to humanities (history/lit) people. I guess it makes sense since the guy teaching the lessons was a tutor at Oxford, lol. He'll tell stories about the history behind the concepts, etc. It really makes a place in my dd's mind and keeps her engaged.

The other thing you're getting with the new 2.0 editions of the TT stuff is the total interactiveness of it. It's REALLY adorable. If that level of independence is important for you, that would be something to sway you.

I've never used MUS and have no opinions on it. I'm with NJKelli that, in general, I wouldn't change what is working, however there must have been a reason you were looking further, lol. So what is it? Poor fit? Need something more independent? It's ok to make a change to solve a problem. And if I could say, pre-algebra is a really good time to make that change. You'd MUCH rather change now, find out something isn't going to work, and land on a better fit by algebra 1 than to spend algebra 1 jumping around, kwim?

I don't know when you would need it, but I'll be selling my TT pre-algebra when we're done with it. You can write me if that interests you. :)

Do both TT and MUS for alg 1 when the time comes. :001_smile:

Ok, enlighten me. Why in tarnation would I want to make that amount of effort and expense? Not that I'm the original poster, lol, but I was trying to figure out what magic I'm missing. :lol: I've got Foerster and figure I'll run through it with her in the summers, just to make sure everything is in order after doing the corresponding level of TT. I have the BJU pre-algebra that I'm taking her through after TT pre-algebra. I'm just curious what the MUS stuff adds. It's a totally different mode of approach and not necessarily adding something more traditional. What is it adding for you?

Ok Beth, I'm curious too. :)

Last fall we switched to MUS. My dd tested into TT Pre-algebra at the time, but we ended up choosing MUS. However, we decided to back up in MUS. I don't think she was really solid on some of the concepts, and I wanted to make sure she was really understanding. So we've covered MUS Epsilon in a few months and are up to Week 23 in Zeta so far. We plan to move on to MUS Pre-algebra when we finish. I really liked the samples of TT, but my dd loves MUS. She wouldn't let me switch even if I wanted to....but to add TT to MUS...now that's intriguing. :) Although, my dd might rebel...lol.

Kelli, not to stick my nose in your business (too far, haha), but if she hates TT that much, why not just use the Keys To books or Horizons or CLE or one of the other fine options to get some extra practice in? Life is too short and there are way too many options to have them doing something they don't at all click with. TT was a choice of last resort for me, and dd actually likes the explanations. I wouldn't have her do it if she didn't, mercy. I mean it's just not that great, lol.

I've got Foerster

If you've got Foerster, you're golden. I suggested combining TT w/ MUS since dd uses both currently. She is having fun w/ the hands-on visual aspect of MUS alg 1. It works well w/ the computer aspect of TT alg 1. It never occurred to me to try MUS until I saw SD's alg 1 demo and Crewton Ramone's videos. I'm sold. :)

OhElizabeth, well it's not that she hates TT. She just really likes MUS. We had it narrowed down to TT or MUS when we switched and my dd liked both options. I couldn't make up my mind, because there were sooooo many negatives about both programs on these forums. So I brought in the sensible one (my dh) and he chose MUS. Well now my dd loves MUS she wouldn't let me change if I wanted to, but I have thought of TT (just because I wonder if MUS is going to be enough, it's hard to ignore all those negative reviews). Would she be willing to do them both... probably not. LOL... but a girl can dream, right?:lol: But MUS has her tolerating math, most days she finds it enjoyable---well at least she does it without complaint. Before that Math had her in tears, gave her a low self-esteem, etc. MUS has really brought about a very positive change.