Menu

Yllek - You Rock! ( And lots of the rest of you do too)

Thank you for always talking about Bravewriter for SN kids!

We had totally backed off writing since ds's dyslexic/dysgraphic diagnosis, gave up on copywork, started typing very gently, only doing writing for spelling, me scribing tons, etc. I finally got around to downloading Jot it Down, just to get a "feel" for the Bravewriter style and some of the ideas.

Well today, ds comes up after watching "How It's Made" all excited about the process of making potato chips and of course the Bravewriter ideas are still percolating around in my brain and I suggest that instead of just describing it to me that he type it out step by step as a writing project.

Ds fires up the computer, sets away to typing and gets down 9 complete sentences with punctuation and spelling, and as a bonus we get to talk about conventions like how to make titles and numbered lists, and audiences for writing.

While it is no 5-paragraph essay, ds is thrilled, now loves writing, can't believes this counts as school, and is so proud he is carrying his project around with him.

So Yllek, Doodler, Ramona Q, OhE, and the lot of you who always talk about taking a different approach to teaching writing with these dyslexic/dysgraphic/NLVD kids - YOU ROCK!!

And you know now, as you're finding your ways to adapt and get stuff to work for him, you're building this reservoir of things *you'll* be sharing with others. Then *you're* going to be the one getting these thanks in return! :)

So that's right, blaze your trail. It's ok to get to a good place a very different way.