Menu

Math Mammoth 6A & 6B

My dd did parts of MM 6A and then moved on to AoPS Prealgebra, which she is in the process of finishing (we're in a review phase). I was happy with that. She might have even done most of 6A and B first and then moved on, and I still would have been happy with that - we are very happy MM and AoPS customers :)

If you wanted to go right from 6B into an Algebra 1 (other than AoPS), at a bare minimum I'd supplement from another source on the following:

- more on exponents

- more practice with solving different types of single-variable equations

- finding square roots (without a calculator)

- arithmetic with square roots

- the Pythagorean Theorem (I don't know how necessary this is going into Alg, but a lot of prealgebra programs seem to cover it)

I like the way that prealgebra programs tend to pull everything together in a way that goes beyond elementary grade-level programs. So, if anything is going to be skipped, I'd prefer to skip parts of 6B and move on to a prealgebra text rather than skip prealgebra. Dolciani is also a nice prealgebra choice for following MM - very straightforward, direct instruction.

Edited by wapiti