Menu

If a student completes Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 will she be ready for the PSAT?

My dd15 will be finishing up Algebra 1 in the fall. She will immediately begin Algebra 2. If she completes Algebra 2 by the time she takes the PSAT in the fall of 11th grade, will she have had enough geometry? Or, would she be better off finishing up Algebra 1, doing a geometry program of some sort for the remainder of 10th, followed by Algebra 2 in 11th and then as much of Advanced Math as we can get through for 12th?

According the Saxon website...completing Algebra 1 and 2 is equivalent of completing Algebra 1, 2 and one semester of geometry. I just didn't know if one semester of geometry would suffice for the PSAT.

Thanks,

Robin

My daughter finished Alg.I in 8th, Alg. II end of 9th, then started the Adv. Math book this past year (10th) in the fall. She took the PSAT in Oct., after probably 7 or 8 wks, maybe, of the Adv. book (working half a problem set some days, whole sets the others).

She performed very well, on basically the geometry gained from I & II. And she would not & I would not consider her a "math whiz." (because "very well" is so relative - and because I really don't like to "tell" scores, I'll just say that she was between 60 and 70)

But she does, by and large, "get" the concepts in Saxon.

I'm interested (obviously) to see how she does this fall, when the PSAT really counts for her, now that she's finished over half of the Adv. Math text.

Does this help? I would say that if a student struggles like mad through Saxon, perhaps she might not be "getting" it and may not perform well. But if it's a student that mostly makes careless mistakes, but in general "gets" the lessons, and has finished both I & II, she probably has had enough geom. to do very well.

I've stuck with Saxon through thick and thin, not wavering off the path, and I believe it has paid off for us. I wouldn't go trying to get her into another geometry in the middle of things. Just keep working steadily, have her correct all problems, understand things before she moves on, get help when needed, etc. (if she gets a little behind, I would advise working through next summer in order to finish Alg.II, if needed) Obviously, the more she can complete well, the better geometry coverage she has, but my daughter tells me (after taking PSAT this year and SAT once) that there's really more algebra now.

That's my 2 cents. :)

HTH,

Jo

There is plenty of geometry in Saxon's Algebra 1 & 2 for the PSAT.

However, many of the PSAT math questions are worded differently than the math in regular textbooks, so it's definitely worth it to have your dc work through a prep book or use something like Chalkdust SAT Math to give them practice on specifically SAT-type questions.

HTH,

Brenda

this really eases my fears! Dd actually has been doing very well. She does make careless mistakes, but corrects everything and almost always gets the right answer the second time around WITHOUT looking at the answer key.

We also splurged and bought the new Saxon teacher cd-roms...these are great by the way. We also have the dive cd, but she prefers the new cd's.

I feel much better. She will too! Now, to figure out my "language arts" dilemma!

Thanks!

Robin

There is plenty of geometry in Saxon's Algebra 1 & 2 for the PSAT.

However, many of the PSAT math questions are worded differently than the math in regular textbooks, so it's definitely worth it to have your dc work through a prep book or use something like Chalkdust SAT Math to give them practice on specifically SAT-type questions.

HTH,

Brenda

I'm not a Saxon user, but using a test prep. book for any of the college-entrance exams has helped my oldest tremendously. We used Barron's PSAT test prep. book, but I've read rave reviews on these boards about The Rocket Review Revolution. This link points to a 2005-2006 edition, but I'm sure there's a newer version out. Also, the College Board has a PSAT web page (I've linked you to that one specifically), and if you'll scroll down on the left to where it says "Preparing", I think you can order a PSAT test booklet from the previous year. I did---but I can't remember if it was free or if I had to pay for it.

I also just ordered Chalkdust's SAT Math Review, so as soon as I listen to that, I'll know more about that. Again---I've read many encouraging reviews about this program.

Thumbs up for CD SAT review. When my dc took the PSAT their math scores were equivalent to scores in the 500s after doing Saxon (1/2 Adv. Math). Looking at the test, when they got their results back, they had actually done worse on geometry type questions. But after CD SAT review and working on the Official SAT scores went to the 600s. ds had been scoring in 700s on practice tests, but unfortunately could not for the actual test.