Menu

Child Training Bible

We ordered one and LOVE it! It is exactly what I had been hoping and praying for. I love that it draws your child to the actual Bible. Although it takes some time to assemble, I think it helped our family really take ownership.

a little more info....it does take about 4 hours to assemble...but it can of course be done in "small doses"..older kids can help too! I really enjoyed the process of putting it together and being reminded of all the rich verses in God's Word that apply to my children and to ME!

Also, I used colored pencils instead of highlighters...it saves on cost and works just fine.

This could really cause a child to hate the Bible.

I am a Christian by culture, not by faith. A symptom of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a total lack of faith in just about everything, not just religion. But the familiarity with scripture is grounding and comforting to me, AFTER I learned to push away all the brainwashing of what the Bible says, that I came to believe as facts, during my times of being spiritually abused.

Ladies just please be careful with this. It could have some devastating effects on a child's relationship with God and with what is often called the greatest piece of literature ever written. The KJV Bible is often called the "Greatest of the Great Books". It's a treasure.

I have met many abuse victims, and some of the most scarred, are the ones who suffered spiritual abuse. This book while not spiritually abusive in itself, could be used to spiritually abuse. At the very least it is horribly unbalanced. If someone used it as a tool, it is imperative to balance it with other things.

I'm not a Christian, so take my opinion with a great big grain of salt, but I've seen this reviewed on many of the homemaking blogs I read, and I'd think it would make a child hate the bible with a passion. I would never label books from my faith like that, because it's going to teach the child to associate religion with punishment.

Just my two cents.

I'll be at the GHC in Long Beach next week and these guys will be one of the vendors. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

I absolutely agree that it needs a host of additional topics, including sections for grace, forgiveness, salvation, peace, joy, etc. I would also never use it as a tool to "go see where you messed up and what God says about how to fix it". That would be the gospel in reverse to me, as I see it as, "there's no way for me to fix it, so let me see what God has to say about He forgives and restores."

I do think it's a good organizational system. I was thinking of taking the idea and developing our own Scripture themes or perhaps they have blank sections to add your own themes.

I think t is a great resource and tool. Every tool can be used properly or improperly. Ephesians 4:22-24 says Christians need to put off the sinful behavior, be renewed in the Spirit of our mind, and put on the new self created in the image of God. This is a great tool to teach us how to put off and reveal what is a sinful behavior. We can be renewed by looking to the gospel and what Christ has done and through His grace we can put on our new self. I understand for those who do not want to raise their children from a biblical world view would view this as dangerous but it really helps to train ourselves and our children using the word. Looking at the disobedience affords me an opportunity to point my children to their need for a savior and show them there is mercy and grace in Jesus.

Some other resources: http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/putoffon.cfm

For Instructions in Righteousness is a whole book like this with put on/ put off and so much more

Also Ginger Plowman has a calendar looking ling called wise words for mom.

I love it. My 9-yo is using ours (I'm still making it) to look up her own issues, I'm using it for mine etc. We don't use it in a 'punishment' way but to encourage us to seek the Lord and His standards for our behavior.

We love ours too. It's never used for punishment, simply a way to quickly find Scripture when we need His guidance. It's also used by the entire family. I've also added topics that I wanted at our fingertips. I used the same colors, just away from each other. And I'm highlighting (I use colored pencil), but not putting a tab on, all of younger ds's HOD verses. It's working great.

I think t is a great resource and tool. Every tool can be used properly or improperly. Ephesians 4:22-24 says Christians need to put off the sinful behavior, be renewed in the Spirit of our mind, and put on the new self created in the image of God. This is a great tool to teach us how to put off and reveal what is a sinful behavior. We can be renewed by looking to the gospel and what Christ has done and through His grace we can put on our new self. I understand for those who do not want to raise their children from a biblical world view would view this as dangerous but it really helps to train ourselves and our children using the word. Looking at the disobedience affords me an opportunity to point my children to their need for a savior and show them there is mercy and grace in Jesus.

Some other resources: http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/putoffon.cfm

For Instructions in Righteousness is a whole book like this with put on/ put off and so much more

Also Ginger Plowman has a calendar looking ling called wise words for mom.

I think what I bolded in red, is a grossly unfair assertion. The SOW Spiritual vs Carnal chart has been around since the 1990s and no one has ever talked about this chart, the way they are talking about CTB. The Sow chart isn't as colorful or user friendly, but it is a BALANCED version of CTB

Bringing up a child in a "biblical world view", is bringing them up being exposed to a BALANCE of scripture.

I understand for those who do not want to raise their children from a biblical world view would view this as dangerous but it really helps to train ourselves and our children using the word.

I just wanted to gently point out that Hunter posts often on these boards about using the Bible for reading practice, and a whole host of other ways she incorporates the Bible into her daily life.

I daresay there are many ways to raise children religiously. Just like there are many ways to give a sermon in a church. The all-day sermons about fire and brimstone, versus today's mega-churches that assert that God's love shines down on humanity through the showering of material blessings, amen, praise God. Let us now read "Sinners on the Verge of an Enraged Hell" from 1741:

So that, whatever some have imagined and pretended about promises made to natural men's earnest seeking and knocking, it is plain and manifest, that whatever pains a natural man takes in religion, whatever prayers he makes, till he believes in Christ, God is under no manner of obligation to keep him a moment from eternal destruction.

It is worth wondering about the approach we take ourselves towards God and how we make the same introduction to our children.

The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked: his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire; he is of purer eyes than to bear to have you in his sight; you are ten thousand times more abominable in his eyes, than the most hateful venomous serpent is in ours. You have offended him infinitely more than ever a stubborn rebel did his prince; and yet it is nothing but his hand that holds you from falling into the fire every moment. It is to be ascribed to nothing else, that you did not go to hell the last night; that you was suffered to awake again in this world, after you closed your eyes to sleep. And there is no other reason to be given, why you have not dropped into hell since you arose in the morning, but that God's hand has held you up. There is no other reason to be given why you have not gone to hell, since you have sat here in the house of God, provoking his pure eyes by your sinful wicked manner of attending his solemn worship. Yea, there is nothing else that is to be given as a reason why you do not this very moment drop down into hell.

Edited by stripe

I think what I bolded in red, is a grossly unfair assertion. The SOW Spiritual vs Carnal chart has been around since the 1990s and no one has ever talked about this chart, the way they are talking about CTB. The Sow chart isn't as colorful or user friendly, but it is a BALANCED version of CTB

Bringing up a child in a "biblical world view", is bringing them up being exposed to a BALANCE of scripture.

I totally agree that balance is necessary. I also stated this is a tool, one tool for people to use to train their children. It is our job as parents to raise our children in the whole counsel of scripture but to say this tool is dangerous I believe is unfair. Yes it could be expanded on, it can be added to but it is what it is a tool. We use other things in our lives at times that are not complete or balanced but we do the job of filling in the gaps. Your warning 'of please be careful was perfect and right.' When coming to God's word we must be careful.

This tool is one aid in helping to raise my children with a Biblical worldview. I never said it was the only thing. I also believe a Biblical worldview is more than just Exposing them to the balance of scripture. I believe that is part of it but it is a framework in which we live our lives, make decisions, alter behaviors based on what we believe the Bible says. Above all we weigh things in light of loving God and loving others.

I just wanted to gently point out that Hunter posts often on these boards about using the Bible for reading practice, and a whole host of other ways she incorporates the Bible into her daily life.

That is great. I disagree with the assertion that the CTB is a bad idea. There is also a difference between reading the bible for practice or The fact it is a great book of literature and believing that it is the Word of God and reading it for sustenance and being changed by it through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Really I mean no disrespect, I just believe we are working from two different frameworks and have different opinions on this issue. :)

I'm sorry that I have been posting inconsistently in this thread. I am CURRENTLY a person with no faith. But in the PAST, I was an ultra-conservative Christian who not only saturated all my boys' studies in scripture, but usually used the Bible as our main textbooks and the center of all our unit studies. I also taught Sunday School and youth group.

My gut check response to "I understand for those who do not want to raise their children from a biblical world view would view this as dangerous but it really helps to train ourselves and our children using the word." was coming from my OLD perspective, which I guess I no longer have a right to. BUT there are PLENTY of parents and teachers wanting to raise children with a "biblical world view" who are going to have a stroke over seeing this curriculum. And just because my Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome leaves me faithless, doesn't change my ability to know this.

This reminds me of a knife throwing curriculum that comes without safety instructions. It's irresponsibly written.

CAN a parent use it without harm? YES, I believe so, if they are very careful to supplement it, with a variety of other materials. Still, the long lasting visual--a VERY strong visual-- of nothing but negative tags hanging out, of this precious book that was written to do FAR more than correct, is going to leave a lopsided impression in the minds of most people. How can it not?

It just leaves me sad, very sad, to see it. One of the greatest treasures to mankind, covered in neon chastisements ONLY.

Edited by Hunter

That is great. I disagree with the assertion that the CTB is a bad idea. There is also a difference between reading the bible for practice or The fact it is a great book of literature and believing that it is the Word of God and reading it for sustenance and being changed by it through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Really I mean no disrespect, I just believe we are working from two different frameworks and have different opinions on this issue. :)

I am not sure who the "we" is here, but if it includes me, then we're working from more than two different frameworks. I mean no disrespect either, and I know nothing about this training technique. I just feel it's worth considering if we rely heavily on warnings and brimstone in our own religious understanding, or if we only emphasize those things with children. I am not suggesting that the contemplation of d@mnation has no place in religious thought. Merely wondering if and/or why punishment is the focus for children while adults focus on, say, prosperity theology, and if it matters.

BUT there are PLENTY of parents and teachers wanting to raise children with a "biblical world view" who are going to have a stroke over seeing this curriculum.

You can count me in that group. I ran across this a few weeks ago, and at first I was excited thinking it was a great tool to help children learn the Bible thoroughly and apply it to daily life. When I realized that it is purely chastisement focused, I almost cried.

Worthy conversation to have. I am going to be out pocket the next two days. Didn't want you to think I was posting and running.

To clear a few things up, the we is me and my family. If it came across as I was representing anything other than that I apoligize. Also, we don't bring d@mnation upon ur children. They know they are sinners in need of a savior and My 5 year old has a basic understanding of what sin is. We proclaim grace in our house often and regularly. D@mnation does nothing if grace is not present.

Just a question this has made me think of, why does "discipline/correction" have to be negative? The Bible says the Lord disciplines those He loves. Ultimately discipline is about righting a relationship with God first and others second. I would rather say, the Bible says and turn there, "keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies" than don't tells lies it's not right. I believe their is power in the word to change me and my children, my authority is just my agenda when it doesn't come from the word. I view the "tags hanging out" as a lesson to learn, a direction to go.

Could this be misused, no doubt. Could it be helpful and beneficial, no doubt.

I don't even have it but I am planning to order one after seeing a friends this week. I think the book For Instruction in Rightesousness is a great addition to this resource. Also the sow chart you posted. I never claimed it was all inclusive but I think it can be beneficial. I am going to look at it closer but I think it has more than just negative behaviors. I want to be specific so let me look at it again for a specific example.

Worthy conversation to have. I am going to be out pocket the next two days. Didn't want you to think I was posting and running.

To clear a few things up, the we is me and my family. If it came across as I was representing anything other than that I apoligize. Also, we don't bring d@mnation upon ur children. They know they are sinners in need of a savior and My 5 year old has a basic understanding of what sin is. We proclaim grace in our house often and regularly. D@mnation does nothing if grace is not present.

Just a question this has made me think of, why does "discipline/correction" have to be negative? The Bible says the Lord disciplines those He loves. Ultimately discipline is about righting a relationship with God first and others second. I would rather say, the Bible says and turn there, "keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies" than don't tells lies it's not right. I believe their is power in the word to change me and my children, my authority is just my agenda when it doesn't come from the word. I view the "tags hanging out" as a lesson to learn, a direction to go.

Could this be misused, no doubt. Could it be helpful and beneficial, no doubt.

I don't even have it but I am planning to order one after seeing a friends this week. I think the book For Instruction in Rightesousness is a great addition to this resource. Also the sow chart you posted. I never claimed it was all inclusive but I think it can be beneficial. I am going to look at it closer but I think it has more than just negative behaviors. I want to be specific so let me look at it again for a specific example.

If you don't already own it and are not invested in it yet, I encourage you to pray about this and get another good look at it. I think you can do better with your time and money.

I understand what you are saying, that correction doesn't always have to be painful. That is a good point in theory and I want to dwell on that awhile. Thank you.

In the video they show a section of yellow tags of the gospels. I may be wrong but I think those were scriptures teaching of the gifts/blessings we are given. I also don't recall what's on the back of the cards (and I don't want to watch it again) but I'm thinking they were a more positive approach also. If you are unsure or wary about the product, I would suggest watching the video where they explain everything it entails.

In the video they show a section of yellow tags of the gospels. I may be wrong but I think those were scriptures teaching of the gifts/blessings we are given. I also don't recall what's on the back of the cards (and I don't want to watch it again) but I'm thinking they were a more positive approach also. If you are unsure or wary about the product, I would suggest watching the video where they explain everything it entails.

The video is quite good for giving you a clear picture of the product. They do have one tab for the gospels, but all 20 of the others are for sins: anger, pride, lying, laziness, etc., and that is the first thing your child is going to see when they open the Bible, and those are the bases upon which you are "sending" them to the Bible to find information. And you're absolutely right, the backs of the cards do have more positive-focused information. I would buy this in a heartbeat if they had started with those positive attributes, if the tabs were patience, humility, honesty, etc., if those were the words the child would first see when they open the Bible, and if encouraging those traits (rather than reprimanding for the negatives) was the basis upon which you were sending your child to the Bible.

It was a great idea, but the emphasis that they chose just will not work for me. It feels too much like I would be using the Bible as a form of punishment, and I just can't do that. If others can make it work in a gentle and loving way, then I'm certainly not passing judgment on anyone else. But because of the dysfunctional religion that I was raised in, which emphasized God's wrath always above his love, forgiveness, and grace, I am extremely wary of this. I would urge caution.