Menu

DD won a photo contest! Pros and cons of child modeling please...

Should I let dd model  

1. 1. Should I let dd model

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

It's the first one I have ever entered. The last three times we had her photo taken they have wanted us to sign model releases, and then she won this contest. It is a small company, but kinda cool. I have a few people now telling me that I should get her into modeling.

So, for parents who have done this, what are the pros and cons of child modeling. Take into account we are in a small city, and I am a fairly chilled out mom. I am leaning towards no and thinking that there are more cons than pros. DH and dd thinks that it could be fun. So, should I stick to my guns or give it a try?

Oh, I am going to do a poll

If your dh wants to encourage it, he can take her.

Personally I would not do it. I will put a lot into activities that will teach my kids useful life skills, keep them healthy, etc.; but I don't see modeling as having that kind of payback. I don't see anything "wrong" with it per se, other than the opportunity cost.

What kind of modeling? How close to home? Are you able to go with her and supervise? Are you able to say no if you don't want her to do a particular shoot. I would be careful what you sign if you are going exclusively with one company. Modeling for say LLBean and modeling where they make young girls look like teens is quite different. You need to take serious control. It's often not the healthiest environment.

If your dh wants to encourage it, he can take her.

Personally I would not do it. I will put a lot into activities that will teach my kids useful life skills, keep them healthy, etc.; but I don't see modeling as having that kind of payback. I don't see anything "wrong" with it per se, other than the opportunity cost.

:iagree: I have kids that both have an out there (and dramatic) personality, but modeling would never be on our radar. However, I think acting and dance (and other performance arts) can be a great outlet for these kinds of kids. Although, you're talking about a 5 year old right? I would start gentle with a structured class and not throw a child that age into high stress auditions. I would not want to put my own daughter where she will continually be judged on her looks and body throughout her childhood. If she chooses that for herself as a 16+, that might be different.

I don't think it's a healthy environment for a child at all. There are a couple of child models in our group. The parents aren't at all like the crazy tv moms or anything, but I can definitely see how it's changed these girls' attitudes, behavior, and mannerisms (I knew them before they began modeling) and it's not for the better.

What kind of modeling? How close to home? Are you able to go with her and supervise? Are you able to say no if you don't want her to do a particular shoot. I would be careful what you sign if you are going exclusively with one company. Modeling for say LLBean and modeling where they make young girls look like teens is quite different. You need to take serious control. It's often not the healthiest environment.

I know that Hanna Andressen, Nike, and Adidas are the bigger companies around here that use child models.

:iagree: I have kids that both have an out there (and dramatic) personality, but modeling would never be on our radar. However, I think acting and dance (and other performance arts) can be a great outlet for these kinds of kids. Although, you're talking about a 5 year old right? I would start gentle with a structured class and not throw a child that age into high stress auditions. I would not want to put my own daughter where she will continually be judged on her looks and body throughout her childhood. If she chooses that for herself as a 16+, that might be different.

See, I would rather she did it for a few years at this age than at 16:D She dances, does gymnastics, drama etc... She LOVES having her photo taken, I don't think she would get all the other things about it at 5.

You say high stress auditions, this is what I am asking about. What are the cons. What are the auditions like? What are the photo shoots like? I just do not know anything about it at all. I would like some reasons to say no. At the same time, are there some pros that I am not aware of? This is a time where I could change my mind. I guess I am trying to figure out if I am saying no because of...well...how everyone always tells us homeschoolers we need to socialize our kids. Is the bad reputation of child modeling being brushed with that same big sweep. Are a few bad situations blinding me to something that could be a lot of fun for dd (and help her college fund)?

I was a child model and did mostly commercials. I won a Cheerios contest when I was a baby and it took off from there. I was in the business until I was 12. My parents saved all of the money I made and it paid for my college education at the University of Delaware. So, that was one fabulous payoff.

As for me, I did not enjoy it at all and that is why I finally stopped. I was taken out of school driving to NYC sometimes multiple times a week and I started to get upset about not being able to do more school activities and sports. And I missed my friends. At the time, not super great priorities but my parents respected them. My agent was also pushing us to move to LA for bigger and better work.

I told my mom recently how I appreciate the fact that it did give me super great confidence (not in a prideful conceited way) when I saw most of my other girlfriends through life struggle with this. The self esteem was not from thinking I was better looking, but knowing I had the confidence to perform in front of others, etc. But you could get this from many other outlets as well.

I guess it really totally depends. The industry has definitely changed a lot since the 80s and 90s and is now rather "unhealthy". It also depends on how much running around you want to do. To get jobs you will need to be available to run to casting calls and auditions and if your child does well they will be in big cities. It will be a real commitment in terms of your time and energy and even money with how much gas costs now.

It is looking more complicated than i thought. If we did it, I thought we would sign on with an agency, and then if she was the right type of kid for something we would get sent to an audition. It's a small market here, so I was thinking no more than once a month.

It is sounding like I need to stay with my initial no reaction. I wouldn't even know how to find a legit agency vs. not legit.

ETA: Here is one of the photos.

I agree with the posters asking if it is legit. There are lots that are not. I have three DD's and two of them have been approached about modeling. However, for at least one of the times, once we learned the details, we found out that it is actually a modeling school. So they want your tuition money. After the schooling they might can help find an agent. It was quickly a no thanks from us. And then they proceeded to call us for months afterwards.

I'd skip it. It's going to involve a large commitment in terms of combined time and expense for you. It's in the best interests of talent agencies and modeling schools to play on your pride, to increase the massive pool of applicants for jobs with relatively few winners in the end. The time and money are better spent on schooling and activities that will directly benefit your daughter.

Your daughter's beautiful, but so are many other little girls; you may not have an accurate idea of what you're up against here. I view diving in headfirst into modeling, without any proven benefit, sort of like heading to Hollywood to make it in the movies, except that here you are gambling away a potentially big part of your daughter's childhood. Once you get into something like this, you may not want to stop for a while, feeling like the first big job is right around the corner. The same optimism that got you in will sustain you for a while, plus you won't want to feel like a fool for trying it in the first place. That's how people get sucked into things like this, and it can be hard to pull away.

As I write this, 24% of respondents have voted that you should give it a whirl. I'd guess that nowhere near 24% of attempted child models make anywhere near enough money to make it worthwhile, stacked against the costs in parenting and learning time and monetary expense, not to mention any emotional impacts. This is the sort of over-optimism you need to avoid.

Edited by Iucounu

I voted no. My dd was a model. I made her quit when she was 8 because she would cry and be depressed for days when she didn't get picked. It was so unhealthy for her! The other girls made her feel ugly. It was a really bad situation all around.

I did as a teen, but it was all local runway stuff, and occasional. FUN! My sense of "who am I?" was pretty well-defined at that point, and all I was was a moving coat hangar, in reality. My body at that point in time fit the measurements many samples came in (mostly bridal) and from that, 1 or 2 other opportunities arose.

I would allow a local type thing when my kids are older. But something involving a lot of travelling wouldn't be for me, and therefore not allowed. ;) I voted no in your poll due to the age factor.

I think it would depend on what is asked. I know local photographers will often use pictures they've taken in their local ads, so those kids are "models" and are paid a small amount for their picture being used (or get their next set of photos free), but aren't actually doing high-pressure modeling. My DD7 and her American Girl doll are models for matching doll/girl clothes for one lady who sells on Etsy and via her website-same sort of thing.

Macy's here has a "Kid board" and a "Teen board"-little girls and teen girls who go through a series of workshops on etiquette, modeling, and customer relations, and then do several runway modeling events for the store in the various malls during the year. I don't think it's a paid position, except that they might get to keep some of the clothes. I'd be willing to let DD7 try out for that if she wanted to do so.

As long as it makes more money than it costs you, give it a try and see how it goes. As DD grows and changes, she may no longer for the type/size/style that they want, and that is OK! Beware of a company pressuring you to buy expensive portfolios, acting lessons, and expansive products- that is more likely a sales pitch and you get to buy the photos.

Local fashion shows can be fun- my girls did these. I never spent a penny, and they got to take an outfit home.

Both of my boys have modeled for a national photography company. We were paid in photos and got to keep a couple large copies of the print ads, but that's about it. We didn't want to go through the hassle/stress of go-sees.

What you described where you have an agent and get calls to go on go-sees (model auditions) is typical with agencies. If there is a department store headquarters near you, they might have their own ad department that use their own models over and over again instead of going through an agency so you can try contacting them.

Red flags for non-legit would be (a) you are asked to pay money up front (b) you are asked to leave your daughter somewhere that you are not able to see her every second. My niece is a child actor for movies and tv, her mom is with her at all times.

I modeled from about age 11 until I went to college. You absolutely need an reputable agent and a portfolio. Your agent will arrange for that. You will also sign a contract, so your dd just can't quit whenever she wants.

The agent will arrange your dd's bookings and then phone to let you know when and where they are. Unless the client is familiar with your dd or has worked with her before, your first appointment will be a "go-see"...literally where you go and see if the client is interested in you. You bring your portfolio and they interview you for a bit, maybe have you put on an outfit or two, but not always. They will not reject your dd to her face. All communication will be handled through your agent. The client does not deal directly with the model...or her mother.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. It was fun. But it was also work. HARD work. And just because your dd likes having her photo taken, it doesn't mean she'll like modeling. You have to follow the photographer's instructions to the letter as far as posing and facial expressions go. Then you have to hold the pose...usually unnatural and painful. Your dd must be comfortable with other adults doing her hair and make-up, as well as dressing and undressing her. Moms aren't allowed to do that, and will need to sit to the side during a shoot and keep quiet. Also get comfy changing in a communal dressing room with everyone and their dog passing through. Fashion shows and modesty are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I made great money, met lots of "important" people, and generally had a great time. I also heard a lot of bad language, and overheard plenty of topics being discussed that were not appropriate for a young teen.

I lived on the east coast and virtually all of my bookings were in NYC. That's where the main industry is, and if your dd wanted to pursue it seriously, you would have to go there or to LA to get the big jobs.

So, only you can make that decision for your dd, but I have to say, the money can be amazing. I regularly made $100 per hour...and this was the mid to late 70s and early 80s. Also, I did manage to keep my wits and morals about me and came out of it all unscathed. It isn't necessarily the pit of destruction some people think it is. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Just to clarify, the photo contest is not who would represent us. It was for a company advertising campaign. We entered as the prize was free clothing from the company, and dd wears their clothes a lot. So, we won some free clothes.

When the lady e-mailed me to say she had won, she told me that I should look into getting an agent and having dd model. So, not a school or anything.

The other is where we get our family pictures done. They have twice asked us to sign model releases and we get free stuff from them for that. They also said I should get her into modeling. The combination of the fact that she photographs well, and she is incredibly well behaved and good at following directions.

However, I think we will just sometimes enter stuff for freebies if we come across them and they are interesting. The contract and not being able to stop if she doesn't like it puts me off. We will just keep it casual and fun for now.